Rickson Gracie attacks Gracie University

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rickson Gracie attacks Gracie University

The question is will they actually listen to Rickson?

https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/rickso...m-a-charlatan/

It's really too little to late at this point. I know for a while now I tell new people to stay clear of Gracie CTCs for learning Jiu Jitsu. Earning your Blue is under a year from the Online Gracie University or from a ICP isn't going to produce quality instructors or students.

For myself, when I travel, if the only school near me is a Gracie CTC, I'll just go for a run or to the gym to lift instead of train. As the training provided at the CTCs aren't worth my time.

Glad you posted this. I read it yesterday and had a question for anyone that knows more about it.

So instead of awarding blue belts they award 'technical blue belts,' it's been that way now for a little while right?

And to get your full blue belt you just show up at their academy and roll with them?

A friend of mine rolled with someone ranked this way a few months ago and said he thought they guy was worse than a one stripe white belt.

So... Are they making any other changes or is this old news? Or is the technical blue belt thing newer than I thought?

Comment

Originally posted by BJMills View Post
      Glad you posted this. I read it yesterday and had a question for anyone that knows more about it.

So instead of awarding blue belts they award 'technical blue belts,' it's been that way now for a little while right?

And to get your full blue belt you just show up at their academy and roll with them?

A friend of mine rolled with someone ranked this way a few months ago and said he thought they guy was worse than a one stripe white belt.

So... Are they making any other changes or is this old news? Or is the technical blue belt thing newer than I thought?

The technical Blue Belt been around for a while. I have only run into a few Gracie University/CTC Blue Belt over the years. You can't assume they even know the basics. The one stripe White Belt comment is accurate to what I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by <plasma> View Post
        The technical Blue Belt been around for a while. I have only run into a few Gracie University/CTC Blue Belt over the years. You can't assume they even know the basics. The one stripe White Belt comment is accurate to what I've seen.
        That's like the antithesis of what BJJ is in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by BJMills View Post
          That's like the antithesis of what BJJ is in my opinion.
          Agreed. I might suck, but at least I actually roll.

Comment

It appears Prof Rener and Prof Ryron made adjustments after Mestre Rickson addressed his concerns.
            Mestre Rickson's long-time protege,
            Mestre Pedro Sauer,
            Has partnered his association with the Gracie Academy and Gracie University.
            Mestre Sauer looked over their program from A-Z,
            Added content to it,
            And will no doubt act as the bridge to the older generation's concerns,
            And act as an older and wiser consigliere to Prof Rener and Prof Ryron on their program.

Comment

Originally posted by <plasma> View Post
              The question is will they actually listen to Rickson?

https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/rickso...m-a-charlatan/

It's really too little to late at this point. I know for a while now I tell new people to stay clear of Gracie CTCs for learning Jiu Jitsu. Earning your Blue is under a year from the Online Gracie University or from a ICP isn't going to produce quality instructors or students.

For myself, when I travel, if the only school near me is a Gracie CTC, I'll just go for a run or to the gym to lift instead of train. As the training provided at the CTCs aren't worth my time.
              Have you trained at any?
              While traveling through LA, I have stopped by the Gracie Academy.
              The classes seemed well taught.
              I suspect that the classes at the CTC,
              Particularly those taught by brown or black belts in their system,
              Would offer good work outs,
              Solid drills,
              Mestre Helio side style techniques,
              and the opportunity to roll a bit,
              possibly while defending strikes,
              depending on the day you went.
              Worse case, you would get a refresher on the self defense
              stand up moves that were taught in the original
              Mestre Carlos Gracie Sr and Mestre Helio Gracie academy.
              Anyone with an interest in the history of G/BJJ
              would get some value out of those classes I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
                Have you trained at any?
                Solid drills,
                I haven't trained at Gracie Academy, but the majority of CTC I've encounter are run by Blue Belts with Black Belts in some TMA like Karate or TKD. Not worth my time. I am sure there are Gracie Academy affiliates run by Black Belts out of Gracie Academy. I am sure those are top notch training facilities. However, they are drowned out hordes of Blue Belts "teaching" Gracie Jiu Jitsu.

Comment

It appears Prof Rener and Prof Ryron made adjustments after Mestre Rickson addressed his concerns.
                  Mestre Rickson's long-time protege,
                  Mestre Pedro Sauer,
                  Has partnered his association with the Gracie Academy and Gracie University.
                  Mestre Sauer looked over their program from A-Z,
                  Added content to it,
                  And will no doubt act as the bridge to the older generation's concerns,
                  And act as an older and wiser consigliere to Prof Rener and Prof Ryron on their program.
                  The honorifics in this post are just way to formal for my taste.

Comment

Have you trained at any?
                    Solid drills,
                    Yea....... he didn't say he wouldn't train at a Rickson, Royce,Royler or Relson school.
                    Renner and Ryron have solid technique but they have Whored out the art too much be taken seriously with their ctc\online blue belt nonsense. The only people that think what they are doing is ok is them.
                    I have retrained their online blue belts. they didn't know the stand up self defense and the didn't roll well. they were physically capable people with poor training.

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
                      The honorifics in this post are just way to formal for my taste.
                      Take it from some one who has drank beer with A "Jiu Jitsu Master" ..... That shit only goes on the business cards and media non sense . they introduce themselves by first names.

mind you the comment is coming from someone that felt it nessarry to put PhD in their screen name. he clearly digs titles.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                        Take it from some one who has drank beer with A "Jiu Jitsu Master" ..... That shit only goes on the business cards and media non sense . they introduce themselves by first names.
                        This has always been my experience, I am always a bit suspicious of people that put other people up on a pedestal.

Comment

mind you the comment is coming from someone that felt it nessarry to put PhD in their screen name. he clearly digs titles.
                          All of the coral belts (and red belts) are older than me,
                          and have been Jiu-Jitsu black belts much longer than I.
                          I never mind mind showing my elders respect.
                          And even when other Jiu-Jitsu black belts are younger than I am,
                          I always try to show other black belts, and really everyone, respect.
                          I'm probably a bit more formal than most.
                          but I am also middle aged, and I think the older you get,
                          the more you try to err on the side of being polite.

Comment

Yea....... he didn't say he wouldn't train at a Rickson, Royce,Royler or Relson school.
                            Renner and Ryron have solid technique but they have Whored out the art too much be taken seriously with their ctc\online blue belt nonsense. The only people that think what they are doing is ok is them.
                            I have retrained their online blue belts. they didn't know the stand up self defense and the didn't roll well. they were physically capable people with poor training.
                            110,000 paying subscribers and a number of CTC's have a different opinion about whether or not what they are doing is OK.
                            And, then there are folks like me, that have no affiliation with them,
                            but think it is cool that they are trying to innovate something.
                            I have similar admiration for the boldness of the Marcelo Garcia online academy.

Some of their blue belts will be good;
                            Some will not.
                            I don't know how closely their blue belts will mirror the overall population of blue belts.

But the older I get, the more I think that BJJ belts are only useful to motivate the students to learn.
                            (and I only value mine because I love and respect the teachers who promoted me,
                            and they allow me to help my students get in tournaments that wouldn't let them in unless I had that recognized signing ability).

Sambo and Wrestling do fine without belts.

In BJJ, our community seems to waste a lot of time talking about belts.

Comment

110,000 paying subscribers and a number of CTC's have a different opinion about whether or not what they are doing is ok
                              I didn't mean the rubes buying belts or the krotty instructors teaching with the belts they bought. I meant every other member of their family and every legit black belt that isn't an idiot.

You're the guy who doesn't want minors to compete with subs and started a "we the people" petition for it.
                              You also think gracie university online belts are swell and "innovative".
                              You don't seem like my kind of person.

Sambo Has rank . Master Of Sport is basically a black belt.
                              Last edited by Raycetpfl; 1/20/2016 12:21am, .

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X