Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MMA belt system?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by Magpie McGee View Post
    MMA is first and foremost a competitive sport, just like boxing, wrestling, and Muay Thai. Therefore, there's only one belt that matters: the one the champ wears. If you want to award a belt, do so in a martial art with an established tradition of it, but if you want to tell me you're a black belt in MMA, I'm going to think that you're an idiot and a pussy who wants to claim the status of a fighter without fighting.
    Blah blah blah, plenty of combat sports also have belts. Belts can be useful in setting up more sporting competition.
    You know what? Wrestling Boxing, Muay Thai... Have different divisions from novice to Pro.
    They are pretty much the same damn thing as a belt.

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by goodlun View Post
      Blah blah blah, plenty of combat sports also have belts. Belts can be useful in setting up more sporting competition.
      You know what? Wrestling Boxing, Muay Thai... Have different divisions from novice to Pro.
      They are pretty much the same damn thing as a belt.
      Then what would be the point of appropriating a distinctly Japanese ranking system for other sports? Can I be a black belt in tennis? How about rugby? Arm wrestling? Fencing? Competitive divisions are already established based on experience. Adding belts where they don't already exist is redundant and pointless.

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by Magpie McGee View Post
        Then what would be the point of appropriating a distinctly Japanese ranking system for other sports? Can I be a black belt in tennis? How about rugby? Arm wrestling? Fencing? Competitive divisions are already established based on experience. Adding belts where they don't already exist is redundant and pointless.
        Hey if someone can be a black belt in Six Sigma why the fuck not other things?
        I don't know how much of it is myth vs reality but the belt system supposedly actually came out of Swimming in Japan.

        Comment


          #19
          How about starting with a full gi with underarmour and taking off an item of clothing each rank progression?

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by goodlun View Post
            Hey if someone can be a black belt in Six Sigma why the fuck not other things?
            I don't know how much of it is myth vs reality but the belt system supposedly actually came out of Swimming in Japan.
            https://youtu.be/nD8tyTd3c5k?t=23m33s

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by Magpie McGee View Post
              Then what would be the point of appropriating a distinctly Japanese ranking system for other sports? Can I be a black belt in tennis? How about rugby? Arm wrestling? Fencing? Competitive divisions are already established based on experience. Adding belts where they don't already exist is redundant and pointless.
              Dan-i system (the Japanese rank system) applies to other arts as well. Go, flower arranging, calligraphy.

              Here you go, educate yourself.
              Falling for Judo since 1980

              "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

              "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

              "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by goodlun View Post
                Hey if someone can be a black belt in Six Sigma why the fuck not other things?
                I don't know how much of it is myth vs reality but the belt system supposedly actually came out of Swimming in Japan.
                Judo borrowed it from Go, and then karate and other arts borrowed it from Judo. Go uses different kyu (what became color belts in martial arts) and dan (what became black belt) rankings to indicate skill level. Being a "dan" level Go player is I think somewhat a akin to being a chess master.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by Magpie McGee View Post
                  Then what would be the point of appropriating a distinctly Japanese ranking system for other sports? Can I be a black belt in tennis? How about rugby? Arm wrestling? Fencing? Competitive divisions are already established based on experience. Adding belts where they don't already exist is redundant and pointless.
                  White belt and black belt were a distinct Japanese ranking system.
                  The colour belts are a French creation, yes it was used in Judo first, but in France not Japan.
                  Originally posted by Jiujitsu77
                  You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
                  Originally posted by Humanzee
                  ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
                  Originally posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
                  It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
                  The real deadly:

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs View Post
                    White belt and black belt were a distinct Japanese ranking system.
                    The colour belts are a French creation, yes it was used in Judo first, but in France not Japan.
                    It was invented by a Japanese Citizen teaching judo in France. The only thing invented in France is "the surrender".

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                      It was invented by a Japanese Citizen teaching judo in France. The only thing invented in France is "the surrender".
                      It was one war over 70 years ago, are you ever going to let it go? ;)

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by BKR View Post
                        Dan-i system (the Japanese rank system) applies to other arts as well. Go, flower arranging, calligraphy.

                        Here you go, educate yourself.
                        I know. It only strengthens my point. It's a Japan thing. Why could we possibly need it this completely separate sport? It's just a gimmicky way to make things seem more martial arts-y, which is stupid because as everyone is happy to point out, belt ranking doesn't come from martial arts. MMA already has a built-in way to know how good you are. It's called your record.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          In WTF taekwondo, registering as a black belt means you are eligible both to become an instructor and to compete internationally. The black belt implies a basic competence, which it is necessary to prove for insurance purposes. How does MMA resolve this?

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by kicktshirts View Post
                            In WTF taekwondo, registering as a black belt means you are eligible both to become an instructor and to compete internationally. The black belt implies a basic competence, which it is necessary to prove for insurance purposes. How does MMA resolve this?
                            With a Doctors Note and a fight a record?

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by goodlun View Post
                              With a Doctors Note and a fight a record?
                              And for your first fight?

                              Comment


                                #30
                                An MMA belt system by nature would infer that at higher level you have technical knowledge, but also can be competitive against your own rank and outperform lower ranks. With MMA, you can be unidimensional, but beat those with more overall technical knowledge, so belting is difficult. You might be better creating a system like Greg Jacksons Gaidojitsu (sp.?) to cover the technical end of things but let one's record (amateur and/or pro) speak for itself.


                                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                                Comment

                                Collapse

                                Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                                Working...
                                X