No announcement yet.

Taekwondo is useless for self defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's definitely not useless for self defense. It has holes like any other martial art. It has advantages and disadvantages. Its like saying Judo is useless because it doesn't teach you "how to fight," (your words not mine) but you can obviously take some throws and skills and use them in an MMA or self defense scenario. Same with TKD.

Comment

Taekwondo is for pussies.

Comment

Comment

Eh, ain't nothing wrong with a good solid flying kick.

Comment

Originally posted by matutor View Post
            How do you know my location?
            I already revealed too much of my powers.....

Comment

Originally posted by mrtnira View Post
              https://youtu.be/6A6CTpq6vGU?t=627 This is an hour long program on the Pakistani Special Services Group, and it includes a demonstration by the hand-to-hand combat instructors. It is filled with Taekwondo, in addition to more traditional military self-defense. The demonstration includes very overt Taekwondo-style flying and leaping kicks to boards, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyiyIbGKeB4 Pakistani Special Services Group demonstration team does Taekwondo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkFBx6iqxPU From the Pakistani Army School of Physical Training. Not much overt Taekwondo, but it is buried in the unarmed combat demonstrated towards the end of the video.

So, while the average guy may not be much of a real self-defense technician with Taekwondo, if the training itself was absent of potential utility, it probably would not have become so embedded in Pakistani training. Maybe the question isn't about Taekwondo, but about the quality of instruction, seriousness of practice, and the natural ability of the person.
              If I remember correctly, both ISIS, Taliban and AQ back in the day have come out with videos were their cannon fodder were practicing TKD
              https://whitedragondojang.wordpress....-martial-arts/

Comment

Originally posted by <plasma> View Post
                Nope, Not Holy Moment, Matutor is posting from Clark College. Holy Moment is from New Jersey.
                i used to have a shirt from there (no idea how i ended up with it, i didn't go there) that had hobbes holding up calvin so he could smoke out of a giant bong. the caption was "if you're not wasted, the day is."

so what i'm saying is that i'm not surprised at all that he is posting from there.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by The Villain View Post
                    TKD has technical deficiencies that make it less practical than it could be, but they're not a no contact, no resistance art.
                    Of all my gripes against TKD, Contact and resistance aint one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by bill_nye68 View Post
                      Of all my gripes against TKD, Contact and resistance aint one of them.
                      Yeah, I think it's totally fair to criticize WTF TKD sparring for its restrictive rule set and sport focus, but not for lack of contact. Every TKD tournament I've been to, I've seen at least one person taken away on a stretcher with a broken arm or concussion. I've had my share of bone bruises, sprains, broken toe, etc too.

That being said, some McDojo-y type TMA schools don't do much/any contact sparring because whiny kids get whiny when they get a bruise. But that's hardly a TKD-specific problem.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X