Aikido defense style attackers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Azatdawn View Post
    You mean those tough streetfighting skaters you always hear about?
    I take it you have never been hit by a skateboard before.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
      wrist locks are a thing now. When they are blocked it just turns into a takedown.
      Didn't know that since I know almost nothing about BJJ having done about 4 classes in my life.
      Do you think it will reach a point where people start cross training in aikido or similar TMAs to learn wristlocks or are they not that useful?

Comment

Originally posted by Mandem View Post
        Didn't know that since I know almost nothing about BJJ having done about 4 classes in my life.
        Do you think it will reach a point where people start cross training in aikido or similar TMAs to learn wristlocks or are they not that useful?
        No need to go to TMA to learn "wristlocks". I've run into multiple bjj brown, black, and purple belts who are familiar with them and apply them in the appropriate context. Which is you have your opponent very well immobilized and his hand/wrist is just sitting there, no way to twist out or really fight back. They work (as in effective, get the "tap") quite well. Under those conditions they can be applied in a very controlled manner with little danger of injury, because you don't have to slap them on at high speed.

Comment

If I were to do Aikido it would because I like wearing skirt like pants, and wanted to do moving meditation.
          If I wanna be able to snap wrists I have to be in a competitive environment ,like Bjj or catch wrestling. The problem with catch is there aren't many competent teachers in the world. Most of them are in Japan.

Comment

Mike Vallely is a Street person.

Comment

Vallely is an outlier.
              Most of the evidence suggests that the bulk of skaters are whiny entitled little shitheads who enjoy aggravating middle-aged and out of shape people.

Comment

Originally posted by ChenPengFi View Post
                Vallely is an outlier.
                Most of the evidence suggests that the bulk of skaters are whiny entitled little shitheads who enjoy aggravating middle-aged and out of shape people.
                I think at least 50% of skater fights are started by the middle-aged, out-of-shape non-skaters. They automatically anticipate that skaters will be aggressive assholes, so they preemptively behave like aggressive assholes themselves to achieve... Something.

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                  No need to go to TMA to learn "wristlocks". I've run into multiple bjj brown, black, and purple belts who are familiar with them and apply them in the appropriate context. Which is you have your opponent very well immobilized and his hand/wrist is just sitting there, no way to twist out or really fight back. They work (as in effective, get the "tap") quite well. Under those conditions they can be applied in a very controlled manner with little danger of injury, because you don't have to slap them on at high speed.
                  So are they a part of BJJ then or do they learn them elsewhere?

Comment

Wrist locks are (I bet) a part of multiple grappling traditions.

I assume they learned them in BJJ.

I learned them in Judo. I have even less chance to use them in Judo than in BJJ, though, LOL !

BJJ is derived from Judo, so go figure.

In any case, tekubi waza have been around a long time (that's another vocabulary word for Rayce). Te is hand/arm and kubi is neck. So hand neck is wrist.

Get it ?

Comment

Coincidentally, today we rolled with only wristlocks allowed as subs.

Gave this one a try... and it worked. Aikido wins again.

Comment

So are they a part of BJJ then or do they learn them elsewhere?
                        Wrist locks do exist in bjj, in fact where I train they are part of the "fundamentals" course based on the basic stuff from Helio Gracie's master text. The reason that you do not see them much in bjj, and that some schools probably never bother to teach them is that they are very low percentage when compared to most of the bjj curriculum.

When other arts shit on aikido for putting so much emphasis on wrist locks, often times it is not because said other arts are ignorant about wrist locks, but rather because they have experience with them.

Comment

I think wristlocks in BJJ still follow the positional hierarchy approach, therefore the hard part isn't getting the wristlock, its getting the control position to attack from.

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
                            I think wristlocks in BJJ still follow the positional hierarchy approach, therefore the hard part isn't getting the wristlock, its getting the control position to attack from.
                            The ones that worked on me, I was completely tied up otherwise, wrist was totally isolated, no way to wiggle out. They hurt like a motherfucker, too, just as bad or worse than an elbow.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                            X