X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RWaggs
    replied
    Originally posted by patfromlogan View Post
    I love that sweat soaked gi look. Used to watch the bb in front of me in line during warmups and beginning drills (I was green once too) as the sweat would soak his gi and start dropping on the floor, just like my gi!
    Oh man, and this room is warm during the summer. In Washington State, not everything has AC, because a lot of the year it's not necessary, but sometimes...ugh, lol.

Leave a comment:

• patfromlogan
    replied
    Originally posted by RWaggs View Post
    The guy reffing your third fight is my former Sensei. I'm actually thinking about getting back there soon, perhaps.

In fact, here's me sparring with him at the tail end of a 5 hour belt test day a few years ago. He's being very, very nice to me, and I'm pretty well exhausted.

I love that sweat soaked gi look. Used to watch the bb in front of me in line during warmups and beginning drills (I was green once too) as the sweat would soak his gi and start dropping on the floor, just like my gi!

And congratulations on fighting the tournament, Ghost! Good work! It took me thirty years to win one (old fart division) and that was because almost every one else got too damn old.
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 11/10/2015 3:45pm, .

Leave a comment:

• ghost55
    replied
    Originally posted by Bugeisha View Post
    Kyokushin semi-contact is not like other semi-contact.
    Yeah. Semi contact here means you get some pretty thin pads.

Leave a comment:

• Bugeisha
    replied
    Kyokushin semi-contact is not like other semi-contact.

Leave a comment:

• ArthurO
    replied
    Nice fights bud .
    Getting hit hard does tire more than dojo kumite
    Don't worry about it the timing and stamina will come with time :)

Leave a comment:

• ArthurO
    replied
    Great fights ghost .The difficult part is stepping on the mat and facing the opponent and more importantly controlling the fear and adrenaline. everyone looks like this as a white belt .perfect mawashigeris in the dojo and an uncoordinated mess in the square :) it will get better carry on doing it work on kuri-ash in particular

Leave a comment:

• ghost55
    replied
    Originally posted by RWaggs View Post
    The guy reffing your third fight is my former Sensei. I'm actually thinking about getting back there soon, perhaps.
    It's a small world.

Leave a comment:

• RWaggs
    replied
    Originally posted by ghost55 View Post
    Yeah. After the first fight I was exhausted from holding my breath while flailing around. I did more damage to myself by not breathing right and smashing my shins into the other guys legs than he did to me (RIP his legs though). I felt far.more relaxed and focused by the time the third fight rolled around. There is something magical about throwing down with a complete stranger that has no issue with putting you in the hospital. I love this shit.

In fact, here's me sparring with him at the tail end of a 5 hour belt test day a few years ago. He's being very, very nice to me, and I'm pretty well exhausted.

Last edited by RWaggs; 10/23/2015 1:57pm, .

Leave a comment:

• RWaggs
    replied
    I made it to the heavyweight final of this tournament once. The shin pads and gloves turn it into a bit of a pillow fight, compared to the full contact tournies, but it's still fun.

Leave a comment:

• ghost55
    replied
    Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Ah, a masochist.
    And a sadist. The feeling of someone crumpling against your leg after you land a really hard body or leg kick is awesome.

Leave a comment:

• W. Rabbit
    replied
    It just feels good.
    Ah, a masochist.

Leave a comment:

• ghost55
    replied
    Originally posted by BKR View Post
    If here were really experienced at competing, he would have just knocked you the fuck out right way or pummeled you until you couldn't take anymore, and not messed around.

You need to remember that in the coming months/years you train. Going easy on a white (or lower rank of any sort) belt is not usually a good idea. You can get caught and lose.

In Judo, that does not happen as much as it used to, as we now have rank divisions most of the time. But I used to compete with black and brown belts as a white belt, and then vice versa, so you never knew what you were going to run into. Like a D-1 wrestler white belt who had just won nationals in Freestyle (like the week before..), like my coach did one year at a state level Judo tournament back in the early '80s.
    He paid for that with a separated shoulder.

I got tossed by a white belt for ippon one time (he was a nidan in some form of karate that does "sweeps"), and I was an experienced black belt trying to be kind and "give him a chance".

Anyway, you stood up to him well.
    I think the most important takeaway for me is that I can handle being hit. I enjoy the process of fighting, win or lose. It just feels good.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Yeah. He thought he had an easy path to bronze. He started to get pissed after the first counter. He got really angry after I dumped him. I thought I might stand a chance until I took the spinning back kick to the liver.
    If here were really experienced at competing, he would have just knocked you the fuck out right way or pummeled you until you couldn't take anymore, and not messed around.

You need to remember that in the coming months/years you train. Going easy on a white (or lower rank of any sort) belt is not usually a good idea. You can get caught and lose.

In Judo, that does not happen as much as it used to, as we now have rank divisions most of the time. But I used to compete with black and brown belts as a white belt, and then vice versa, so you never knew what you were going to run into. Like a D-1 wrestler white belt who had just won nationals in Freestyle (like the week before..), like my coach did one year at a state level Judo tournament back in the early '80s.
    He paid for that with a separated shoulder.

I got tossed by a white belt for ippon one time (he was a nidan in some form of karate that does "sweeps"), and I was an experienced black belt trying to be kind and "give him a chance".

Anyway, you stood up to him well.

Leave a comment:

• ghost55
    replied
    Originally posted by Lindz View Post
    But you're still allowed to hit as hard as you want?
    Yup. Everyone walked away limping and bruised. One guy got his face split open with a kick.

Leave a comment:

• Lindz
    replied
    So I went to a semi-contact (this means light gloves and shin pads) kyokushin tournament.
    But you're still allowed to hit as hard as you want?

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X