Ghost attempts karate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BKR View Post
    Nice work, keep training and keep competing. A lot of getting better at competition is competing, getting over/being able to control the stress/adrenaline/nerves etc. so you can express the technique you have. Unlike sparring, you can be dealing with the unknown (opponents you don't know) in competition.
    Yeah. After the first fight I was exhausted from holding my breath while flailing around. I did more damage to myself by not breathing right and smashing my shins into the other guys legs than he did to me (RIP his legs though). I felt far.more relaxed and focused by the time the third fight rolled around. There is something magical about throwing down with a complete stranger that has no issue with putting you in the hospital. I love this shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Hadzu View Post
      Keep in mind that in many Germanic languages you can combine words kind of willy-nilly, in a way that would be written as several separate words in English (or perhaps separated by a hyphen).
      I was gonna say... the Germans have a word for everything, and if they don't, they'll stick other words together until they do.
      "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Originally posted by strikistanian
      DROP SEIONAGI MOTHERFUCKER! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
      Originally posted by Devil
      Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
      Originally posted by Plasma
      At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
      Originally posted by SoulMechanic
      Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.

Comment

Originally posted by ghost55 View Post
        Second guy was a teammate. Third guy was incredibly pissed and wanted to kill me. He was just very, very tired.
        I noticed that the third guy really went after you after the first exchange or two. It looked like you tagged him and them he got turned on and went for it...
        Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

I noticed that the third guy really went after you after the first exchange or two. It looked like you tagged him and them he got turned on and went for it...
          Yeah. He thought he had an easy path to bronze. He started to get pissed after the first counter. He got really angry after I dumped him. I thought I might stand a chance until I took the spinning back kick to the liver.

Comment

So I went to a semi-contact (this means light gloves and shin pads) kyokushin tournament.
            But you're still allowed to hit as hard as you want?

Comment

Originally posted by Lindz View Post
              But you're still allowed to hit as hard as you want?
              Yup. Everyone walked away limping and bruised. One guy got his face split open with a kick.

Comment

Yeah. He thought he had an easy path to bronze. He started to get pissed after the first counter. He got really angry after I dumped him. I thought I might stand a chance until I took the spinning back kick to the liver.
                If here were really experienced at competing, he would have just knocked you the fuck out right way or pummeled you until you couldn't take anymore, and not messed around.

You need to remember that in the coming months/years you train. Going easy on a white (or lower rank of any sort) belt is not usually a good idea. You can get caught and lose.

In Judo, that does not happen as much as it used to, as we now have rank divisions most of the time. But I used to compete with black and brown belts as a white belt, and then vice versa, so you never knew what you were going to run into. Like a D-1 wrestler white belt who had just won nationals in Freestyle (like the week before..), like my coach did one year at a state level Judo tournament back in the early '80s.
                He paid for that with a separated shoulder.

I got tossed by a white belt for ippon one time (he was a nidan in some form of karate that does "sweeps"), and I was an experienced black belt trying to be kind and "give him a chance".

Anyway, you stood up to him well.
                Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

If here were really experienced at competing, he would have just knocked you the fuck out right way or pummeled you until you couldn't take anymore, and not messed around.

You need to remember that in the coming months/years you train. Going easy on a white (or lower rank of any sort) belt is not usually a good idea. You can get caught and lose.

In Judo, that does not happen as much as it used to, as we now have rank divisions most of the time. But I used to compete with black and brown belts as a white belt, and then vice versa, so you never knew what you were going to run into. Like a D-1 wrestler white belt who had just won nationals in Freestyle (like the week before..), like my coach did one year at a state level Judo tournament back in the early '80s.
                  He paid for that with a separated shoulder.

I got tossed by a white belt for ippon one time (he was a nidan in some form of karate that does "sweeps"), and I was an experienced black belt trying to be kind and "give him a chance".

Anyway, you stood up to him well.
                  I think the most important takeaway for me is that I can handle being hit. I enjoy the process of fighting, win or lose. It just feels good.

Comment

It just feels good.
                    Ah, a masochist.

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
                      Ah, a masochist.
                      And a sadist. The feeling of someone crumpling against your leg after you land a really hard body or leg kick is awesome.

Comment

I made it to the heavyweight final of this tournament once. The shin pads and gloves turn it into a bit of a pillow fight, compared to the full contact tournies, but it's still fun.
                        That's the most Krav thing I've ever read. That's Kravver than a motherfucker...

Comment

Yeah. After the first fight I was exhausted from holding my breath while flailing around. I did more damage to myself by not breathing right and smashing my shins into the other guys legs than he did to me (RIP his legs though). I felt far.more relaxed and focused by the time the third fight rolled around. There is something magical about throwing down with a complete stranger that has no issue with putting you in the hospital. I love this shit.
                          The guy reffing your third fight is my former Sensei. I'm actually thinking about getting back there soon, perhaps.

In fact, here's me sparring with him at the tail end of a 5 hour belt test day a few years ago. He's being very, very nice to me, and I'm pretty well exhausted.

Last edited by RWaggs; 10/23/2015 1:57pm, .
                          That's the most Krav thing I've ever read. That's Kravver than a motherfucker...

Comment

Originally posted by RWaggs View Post
                            The guy reffing your third fight is my former Sensei. I'm actually thinking about getting back there soon, perhaps.
                            It's a small world.

Comment

Great fights ghost .The difficult part is stepping on the mat and facing the opponent and more importantly controlling the fear and adrenaline. everyone looks like this as a white belt .perfect mawashigeris in the dojo and an uncoordinated mess in the square :) it will get better carry on doing it work on kuri-ash in particular

Comment

Nice fights bud .
                                Getting hit hard does tire more than dojo kumite
                                Don't worry about it the timing and stamina will come with time :)

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X