Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fake BJJ black belts and "technical blue belts"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Fake BJJ black belts and "technical blue belts"

    So, it's another day, and another fake black belt has been exposed, teaching at Highkix Martial Arts in PA.

    http://www.bjjee.com/featured/gracie...ee-black-belt/
    The excellent BJJ Hour has been investigating a certain Mark McMahon from HighKix Martial arts.
    Judging from the pictures, Mr McMahon is pretending to be a 2nd degree black belt in Gracie/Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
    After research, they found out that he is actually just a Gracie University ‘technical blue belt’. This means that he received his belt through the mail after having sent videos of himself practising Jiu-Jitsu techniques.
    In the following pictures, he is wearing a Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Gi, putting on a BJJ black belt (with red bar which is specific to BJJ) and added 2 degrees.

    UPDATE from Bill Jones, BJJ black belt under Pedro Sauer:
    Ok guys, here’s the update to this whole mess.
    I spoke directly to the owner of High Kix academy this morning at length.
    His name is Mark Oravec. He was super nice and extremely respectful about the whole situation. As has been mentioned before on the posts, Mr Oravec was unaware of the exact certifications of Mr McMahon. Since this whole issue has been brought up, he received Mr. McMahon’s certificates in various “other styles of jujitsu.”
    Mr. Oravec took the time to read the posts over at The BJJ Hour’s facebook page and now understands EXACTLY what the problem is and the clear appearance of fraud that is taking place. He has spoken with Mr. McMahon and they will no longer be offering Mr. McMahon’s jujitsu program.
    This is as of 10-8-2015.
    Now instead of just bashing the dumbass for thinking he wouldn't be exposed, I offer a different take. This is what should be expected when we have non-BJJ schools looking to get certified and use the Gracie affiliation to gain students. In this case, the fraud was brought in from the outside, but the muddying of the waters is already under way with schools offering "BJJ classes" without a black or even brown belt to oversee the students progression. If they never offer BJJ rank then I suppose it could be argued no harm-no foul, but to the average person they wouldn't know the difference between getting a black belt in Joe's Ju-Jitsu and a black belt in BJJ as long as the instructor has that Gracie patch on his gi.

    As more people join the Gracie Academy's blue-belt for cash scheme, we can expect to see a lot more of this misleading marketing and watering down of the art.
    Last edited by Ke?poFist; 10/08/2015 4:12pm, .
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

    #2
    Originally posted by Ke?poFist View Post
    As more people join the Gracie's blue-belt for cash scheme, we can expect to see a lot more of this misleading marketing and watering down of the art.
    Sooner or later it was going to happen.

    Comment


      #3
      If no one was fooled, then was it really misleading?

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by The Villain View Post
        If no one was fooled, then was it really misleading?
        I mean you still go to prison even if your attempt at crime fails hilariously...

        Comment


          #5
          for fraud though? The whole premise is that this guy was trying to trick people into believing he was a black belt. But the evidence for the deceit is that he posted pics of himself in a blue belt. To prove fraud, someone would've had to ask him his rank and then get a dishonest answer.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by The Villain View Post
            If no one was fooled, then was it really misleading?
            misleading - designed to deceive or mislead either deliberately or inadvertently.
            It just wasnt clever or believable..... much like most of these guys.
            The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

            Comment


              #7
              Hell, there's probably picks of me rolling in a RED belt.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by The Villain View Post
                for fraud though? The whole premise is that this guy was trying to trick people into believing he was a black belt. But the evidence for the deceit is that he posted pics of himself in a blue belt. To prove fraud, someone would've had to ask him his rank and then get a dishonest answer.
                He's the fat ass wearing the 2nd degree black belt. He was misrepresenting what he was by wearing it in a non Halloween setting.
                The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                  misleading - designed to deceive or mislead either deliberately or inadvertently.
                  It just wasnt clever or believable..... much like most of these guys.
                  Then what makes you believe that it was designed to deceive, if it wasn't a believable deception?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                    He's the fat ass wearing the 2nd degree black belt. He was misrepresenting what he was by wearing it in a non Halloween setting.
                    No, he legit holds degrees in both striking arts and in jiujitsu. Just not BJJ. He was grappling wearing his other belt. Used to happen to me all the time. I'd step off the mats in my red belt or other BB and someone would ask for a round. I got congratulated many times for my promotion, which I had to explain didn't happen. Not intent to deceive.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      He was fired by the TSD school for misrepresenting himself as a black belt instructor. He was dishonest, not just taking an ig pic in a black belt.
                      Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
                      ...Willing is not enough you must do
                      ~Bruce Lee

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by The Villain View Post
                        Then what makes you believe that it was designed to deceive, if it wasn't a believable deception?
                        It's only not believed by those in the bjj community that fact check.
                        The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by The Villain View Post
                          No, he legit holds degrees in both striking arts and in jiujitsu. Just not BJJ. He was grappling wearing his other belt. Used to happen to me all the time. I'd step off the mats in my red belt or other BB and someone would ask for a round. I got congratulated many times for my promotion, which I had to explain didn't happen. Not intent to deceive.
                          No other legit art uses the rank bar. It's the reason bjj has a rank bar on the belt.
                          The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Ke?poFist View Post
                            He was fired by the TSD school for misrepresenting himself as a black belt instructor. He was dishonest, not just taking an ig pic in a black belt.
                            Did they listen to him and get fooled or to the "community" about what he'd done? Was it on his resume? If he was trying to trick them, why enter in a blue belt?

                            I'm asking because the community has a tendency to jump to conclusions. Basically I want critical thinking, not knee jerk reactions and cultism to rule this process. It doesn't matter to me so much what the ultimate conclusion is, but how it's reached.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                              It's only not believed by those in the bjj community that fact check.
                              You took a survey? You asked the guy? How did you reach this conclusion?

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X