Anthony Bourdain in Okinawa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    They don't make a tough person want to stop fighting and give up. So I guess it would come down to what would be considered working?
    The behind the ear thing hurts but fuck'em . It's not oh my god I am gonna die pain.
    I put it on par with small stun guns. It sucks but it just hurts.
    Life is pain princess. Anyone who tells you different is selling you something.
    Oh, I get all of that, by "work" I mean manipulating certain parts of the body certain ways, poking, bending, prodding, etc., do cause pain, that can be severe. I've had them done to me, but never when I was actually fighting back or actively resisting. I've been to a couple of seminars by an old student of Dillman that was full of that stuff. Hurts like hell, and some of the strikes to the head were damned disorienting. But I already knew that getting hit with an uppercut square on will knock the fuck a guy out...

As my sensei used to say, "Oh, you think THAT hurt?"

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
      Oh, I get all of that, by "work" I mean manipulating certain parts of the body certain ways, poking, bending, prodding, etc., do cause pain, that can be severe. I've had them done to me, but never when I was actually fighting back or actively resisting. I've been to a couple of seminars by an old student of Dillman that was full of that stuff. Hurts like hell, and some of the strikes to the head were damned disorienting. But I already knew that getting hit with an uppercut square on will knock the fuck a guy out...

As my sensei used to say, "Oh, you think THAT hurt?"
      I would love to fight a Dillman disciple. I hate all of their faces and I haven't even seen them.

Comment

Originally posted by ChenPengFi View Post
        I guess I'll bring a Glock to the next demo I attend.
        That oughtta keep any nasty fingers out of my face!
        Thanks Sifu!
        So you're gonna close the distance, jump underneath the guy and give him a gun? Brilliant street tactics. OSSSS!

Comment

I would love to fight a Dillman disciple. I hate all of their faces and I haven't even seen them.
          Guys name was/is Ed Lake. You can google him, he is from Florida, or at least used to be.

One of the things I remember is him trying to stroke my ego by getting me to demo some Judo technique ((I was already a black belt)). So he is spouting some sort of nonsense about how blond/red headed people (I actually had read hair back then, LOL) are more susceptible to something or the the other related to choking. So he showed some sort of Hadaka Jime (rear naked for the Japanese disinclined) variation that was supposed to be a pressure point attack. Which of course, it is, because you are pressing on the Vagus nerve/carotid triangle.

Anyway, he asks me to put this slightly taller tow headed karateka (that's a karate dude for you, Rayce) into Hadaka Jime (Lake did know some Japanese, so he'd have you beat in a vocabular test, LOL). Well, the guy squares off and sticks out his chin like "no way can you get me in that hold".

At which point I did one of those slip behind him type moves, slapped on the choke and pulled him back on his heels all at once, more or less. I put it on just hard enough so his face turned kinda red. Ed approved and pointed out some sort of pressure point nonsense.

I never fought Ed, didn't really want to. It's not a judo thing to challenge people like that. Besides, he might have got me with an uppercut...

Comment

Guys name was/is Ed Lake. You can google him, he is from Florida, or at least used to be.

One of the things I remember is him trying to stroke my ego by getting me to demo some Judo technique ((I was already a black belt)). So he is spouting some sort of nonsense about how blond/red headed people (I actually had read hair back then, LOL) are more susceptible to something or the the other related to choking. So he showed some sort of Hadaka Jime (rear naked for the Japanese disinclined) variation that was supposed to be a pressure point attack. Which of course, it is, because you are pressing on the Vagus nerve/carotid triangle.

Anyway, he asks me to put this slightly taller tow headed karateka (that's a karate dude for you, Rayce) into Hadaka Jime (Lake did know some Japanese, so he'd have you beat in a vocabular test, LOL). Well, the guy squares off and sticks out his chin like "no way can you get me in that hold".

At which point I did one of those slip behind him type moves, slapped on the choke and pulled him back on his heels all at once, more or less. I put it on just hard enough so his face turned kinda red. Ed approved and pointed out some sort of pressure point nonsense.

I never fought Ed, didn't really want to. It's not a judo thing to challenge people like that. Besides, he might have got me with an uppercut...
            OK, I had to check for myself. Here ya go...

Comment

Do they know they are full of shit?

Comment

Apparently he's dead......

Comment

Originally posted by The Villain View Post
                  So you're gonna close the distance, jump underneath the guy and give him a gun? Brilliant street tactics. OSSSS!
                  No, no, no...
                  First of all it was in a dojo.
                  Second, anyone stepping on the mat gets shot obviously!
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tueller_Drill

Comment

Do they know they are full of shit?
                    Not sure, but I knew a guy selling a load of stuff when I first met him. The university martial arts club was all enamored of the whole "bunkai" thing (this was in the early 90s), as they had a couple of "okinawan karate" black belts. it was full of hidden grappling moves in all the karate kata.

I did do some TKD there though. The teacher was an incredible athlete, fast as a snake. He could have kicked my head off before I even knew what was happening. Good guy, and the karate guys (who also got into Arnis and other Philipino stuff)were good guys and gals too, down to earth and all that, very friendly.

Comment

Apparently he's dead......
                      If you watch carefully, you can see him help cross his legs for the kappo...

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X