No announcement yet.

Anthony Bourdain in Okinawa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bourdain also gave Okinawan Sumo a try: http://edition.cnn.com/videos/tv/201...ists/bourdain/

Comment

Originally posted by The Villain View Post
      He picked the worst possible opening move.
      Thumb in face > guard pull?

Comment

Well, yeah, cause once you throw yourself under a guy, you can't dodge attacks.

Comment

Well, yeah, cause once you throw yourself under a guy, you can't dodge attacks.
          He definitely could've defended against that attack if the guy who was actually in his guard was the one doing it, not some random 3rd party. If the argument is that the guard is inadequate for multiple attackers, recall that the karate master's whole point at the beginning of the video is that karate was used to control and subdue, not always to smash and crush.

Comment

Imagine if he'd been in knee on belly instead though. It was a bad play on Bourdain's part

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
              He definitely could've defended against that attack if the guy who was actually in his guard was the one doing it, not some random 3rd party. If the argument is that the guard is inadequate for multiple attackers, recall that the karate master's whole point at the beginning of the video is that karate was used to control and subdue, not always to smash and crush.
              When I get presure point attacked by a third party when I am fighting another from guard I will then pull my lightsaber out and cut them both in half. If I am feeling dark that day I may go all force lightning.

I have found it best to combat techniques that are only effective in the land of imagination with other techniques that are only effective in the land of imagination.

Comment

Pressure points work and can even be found in BJJ. A guy running up and poking you somewhere unpleasant kinda sucks. It'd throw you off at least enough for the first guy to lump you up.

Comment

Pressure points work and can even be found in BJJ. A guy running up and poking you somewhere unpleasant, kinda sucks. It'd throw you off at least enough for the first guy to lump you up.
                  Pressure points don't work on everyone. Some people choose the wrench. http://<a href="https://youtu.be/N4B...4BC4JGXwlE</a>Pressure points are completely worthless on a tough guy during a fight. They worthless on some people in training.

Comment

Imagine if he'd been in knee on belly instead though.
                    I reckon the sensei would've walked up behind him and gouged a pressure point.

Comment

Imagine if he'd been in knee on belly instead though. It was a bad play on Bourdain's part
                      He was a white belt at the time and now a new blue belt. Not an expert or even vaguely experienced fighter either way.

Comment

Pressure points work and can even be found in BJJ. A guy running up and poking you somewhere unpleasant kinda sucks. It'd throw you off at least enough for the first guy to lump you up.
                        They do "work" in fact can hurt like hell. The problem is to apply them effectively.

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
                          I reckon the sensei would've walked up behind him and gouged a pressure point.
                          Or hit him in the neck with a shinai. KARATE WINS AGAIN

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                            They do "work" in fact can hurt like hell. The problem is to apply them effectively.
                            They don't make a tough person want to stop fighting and give up. So I guess it would come down to what would be considered working?
                            The behind the ear thing hurts but fuck'em . It's not oh my god I am gonna die pain.
                            I put it on par with small stun guns. It sucks but it just hurts.
                            Life is pain princess. Anyone who tells you different is selling you something.

Comment

I guess I'll bring a Glock to the next demo I attend.
                              That oughtta keep any nasty fingers out of my face!
                              Thanks Sifu!

Comment

Originally posted by ChenPengFi View Post
                                I guess I'll bring a Glock to the next demo I attend.
                                That oughtta keep any nasty fingers out of my face!
                                Thanks Sifu!
                                Or, get your buddy to put him in a full nelson when he tries to pressure point you

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X