Your Style is Bull-poop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Style is Bull-poop

(Coincidentally, this is also part of the brilliance that is enter the dojo)
    If you go on any TMA video, especially demonstrations, ESPECIALLY aikido demonstrations, you can find plenty of aggressive comments about how much bullshit [martial art] is and how everyone should do BJJ instead. I think a lot of the people who leave this kind of comment have good intentions, i.e. getting people to not do shit martial arts like Krav Maga, Aikido etc.
    However, the problem is that because of how aggressive these people are, TMA practitioners are immediately opposed to what they are saying even when it is true.
    For example: my introduction to the online MA community was when my Aikido teacher told me to watch some Ueshiba demonstrations to see how it's done. I did, and when I scrolled through the comments I found streams of badly spelled abuse for Ueshiba and every other aikidoka in history and the universe. Since all the people who left these comments practiced, or claimed to practice, MMA/BJJ/Wrestling, I started off with a sense that people who do MMA were somehow "the enemy"; as a result it took me a long time to realise that Aikido is fairly ineffective, that MMA is great, and that practicing proper combat sports is fun.
    So if we just want to mock and troll TMA people, the current approach is working great.
    If, however, we want to get rid of the BS in the martial arts world, the only way to do that is by convincing people to abandon crappy training, and the best way to do that is by being a bit more polite and helpful.
    Just a thought.
    Last edited by plasma; 10/04/2015 12:12pm, . Reason: No Curses in Thread Titles

Obscenities are not permitted in thread titles.

Who are "we?" I doubt the buffoons raging in comment sections have any real martial experience, it's rare to catch a glimmer of insight from any of them. It's just casual UFC fans trolling.

Secondly, in the age of instant and nearly unlimited access to the world's collected information, commenting on a video, irrespective of how politely or aggressively, is not changing anybody's mind. Today's culture marks changing one's mind in the face of superior evidence as a defeat, so people, on average, just don't view evidence. Pointing out even the most obvious flaws in an argument has been proven to be ineffective, or even make the other party dig in more firmly.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Originally posted by strikistanian
    DROP SEIONAGI MOTHERFUCKER! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Originally posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Originally posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    Originally posted by SoulMechanic
    Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.

Comment

Firstly, sorry about the thread title, and yes I'm aware that I'm probably giving the majority of trolls way too much credit here.

However, your point about people refusing to accept evidence is kind of what I'm talking about. People are less likely to accept that they are wrong when the person they're arguing with is peaking them out (I have received a fair bit of abuse from people who also had a good grasp of the balance of evidence in martial arts), so I think the solution to getting people to agree with you in this case is the same as in pretty much any case; don't set yourself up as their enemy or opponent, because as you said people will never admit they're wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandem View Post
        (Coincidentally, this is also part of the brilliance that is enter the dojo)
        If you go on any TMA video, especially demonstrations, ESPECIALLY aikido demonstrations, you can find plenty of aggressive comments about how much bullshit [martial art] is and how everyone should do BJJ instead. I think a lot of the people who leave this kind of comment have good intentions, i.e. getting people to not do shit martial arts like Krav Maga, Aikido etc.
        However, the problem is that because of how aggressive these people are, TMA practitioners are immediately opposed to what they are saying even when it is true.
        For example: my introduction to the online MA community was when my Aikido teacher told me to watch some Ueshiba demonstrations to see how it's done. I did, and when I scrolled through the comments I found streams of badly spelled abuse for Ueshiba and every other aikidoka in history and the universe. Since all the people who left these comments practiced, or claimed to practice, MMA/BJJ/Wrestling, I started off with a sense that people who do MMA were somehow "the enemy"; as a result it took me a long time to realise that Aikido is fairly ineffective, that MMA is great, and that practicing proper combat sports is fun.
        So if we just want to mock and troll TMA people, the current approach is working great.
        If, however, we want to get rid of the BS in the martial arts world, the only way to do that is by convincing people to abandon crappy training, and the best way to do that is by being a bit more polite and helpful.
        Just a thought.
        Nah, thats no fun. Additionally, once you go down that path it turns into the "all styles have something to teach us" bullshit. As beating them up is illegal, mockery is all we got left.

PS. No cursing in thread titles.

Comment

I wish it weren't a BJJ thing and an effective training method thing instead, info courtest of BJJ. It would help derail the cultish elements in the art and allow the TMA crowd to grow up without as much pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandem View Post
            Firstly, sorry about the thread title, and yes I'm aware that I'm probably giving the majority of trolls way too much credit here.

However, your point about people refusing to accept evidence is kind of what I'm talking about. People are less likely to accept that they are wrong when the person they're arguing with is peaking them out (I have received a fair bit of abuse from people who also had a good grasp of the balance of evidence in martial arts), so I think the solution to getting people to agree with you in this case is the same as in pretty much any case; don't set yourself up as their enemy or opponent, because as you said people will never admit they're wrong.

If you want to be a victim you will find enough evidence in this world to be one.

The isue you have is that mutual respect where I support your rubbish fantasy martial art so you can support my actual martial art is just bloody silly. I don't even support the fantasies of people I like.
            Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
            http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Comment

It's the people who are bullshit artists.

Few things are guilty of "bullshit" on their own...bullshit requires a human avatar.

Comment

Civility and politeness are for pussies.

Dan Severn loves raping people.

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
                  It's the people who are bullshit artists.

Few things are guilty of "bullshit" on their own...bullshit requires a human avatar.
                  That's a weird thing to say though. Since nothing is actually a divinely created martial art it's humans that are exclusively responsible for their creation and use. There are plenty of people who practice absolute fuckery inspired,nonsensical bullshit.
                  Ninjas,chi blasters, prison fight system, etc. They are absolutely fucking horrible at their core. The systems are poor. The people involved are either in on hoax or ignorant to the truth.
                  The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                    That's a weird thing to say though. Since nothing is actually a divinely created martial art it's humans that are exclusively responsible for their creation and use. There are plenty of people who practice absolute fuckery inspired,nonsensical bullshit.
                    Ninjas,chi blasters, prison fight system, etc. They are absolutely fucking horrible at their core. The systems are poor. The people involved are either in on hoax or ignorant to the truth.
                    Plenty of people, you say?

Weird, no.

Comment

I was thinking about this and I came to a really simple answer. I don't really care if you are studying shitty Martial Arts. If you want to wear a Hakama and wrist throw people that are already falling down, go for it. If you want to defend boxing hooks with Straight Blast Chain Punch, more power to you. However, when you post that stuff publicly and expect me to be impressed, I am just going to make fun of you. If it's particularly bad it will end up on Bullshido.net or the Bullshido Facebook Page.

There are a ton of resources on "alive training" and the benefits of competition training. If you choose to ignore it, that's not my problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
                        Obscenities are not permitted in thread titles.

Who are "we?" I doubt the buffoons raging in comment sections have any real martial experience, it's rare to catch a glimmer of insight from any of them. It's just casual UFC fans trolling.

Secondly, in the age of instant and nearly unlimited access to the world's collected information, commenting on a video, irrespective of how politely or aggressively, is not changing anybody's mind. Today's culture marks changing one's mind in the face of superior evidence as a defeat, so people, on average, just don't view evidence. Pointing out even the most obvious flaws in an argument has been proven to be ineffective, or even make the other party dig in more firmly.
                        you gotta convince them with repeated ass whoopings.

Comment

Originally posted by bill_nye68 View Post
                          you gotta convince them with repeated ass whoopings.
                          That's a lot of work. I'd rather just point and laugh.
                          "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Originally posted by strikistanian
                          DROP SEIONAGI MOTHERFUCKER! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
                          Originally posted by Devil
                          Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
                          Originally posted by Plasma
                          At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
                          Originally posted by SoulMechanic
                          Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.

Comment

Originally posted by gregaquaman View Post
                            If you want to be a victim you will find enough evidence in this world to be one.

The isue you have is that mutual respect where I support your rubbish fantasy martial art so you can support my actual martial art is just bloody silly. I don't even support the fantasies of people I like.
                            I'm not saying all martial arts deserve respect, I'm saying that insulting people sets you up as the aggressor which makes them less likely to accept that your art is better and they should train in it. For example, I have a friend that used to train at a really shitty TKD place. If i mocked him about that all the time he would get angry and stop listening to me; instead, I just recommended Muay Thai to him saying his TKD kicks might transfer well into that style, and now he does Muay Thai with me.

Comment

Originally posted by <plasma> View Post
                              I was thinking about this and I came to a really simple answer. I don't really care if you are studying shitty Martial Arts. If you want to wear a Hakama and wrist throw people that are already falling down, go for it. If you want to defend boxing hooks with Straight Blast Chain Punch, more power to you. However, when you post that stuff publicly and expect me to be impressed, I am just going to make fun of you. If it's particularly bad it will end up on Bullshido.net or the Bullshido Facebook Page.

There are a ton of resources on "alive training" and the benefits of competition training. If you choose to ignore it, that's not my problem.
                              Cool. That's an opinion, and I can see why you hold it. I'm just pointing out that some of the people who DO seem to care are going about it the wrong way.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X