X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lindz
    replied
    Originally posted by Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs View Post
    I personally can't mention his name or username in such a way that it's connected to my "proven" claims, which I haven't done here either ;-)
    Well that sucks for you. But we can still say whatever we want right? I've taken a sudden dislike to a certain burger chain

But that's not at all what we're talking about

Leave a comment:

• Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs
    replied
    Googled his name, the club he taught is now defunct, but I'm seeing reports of him appearing in scientific journals dated in 2014 and 2015.

At least he has been permanent expelled from USA JUdo.

Leave a comment:

• DCS
    replied
    and the subject of my investigation is nowadays laying low with a very small Judo club and a blue collar job (last I known)...about 20 kilometres from where I live >:-(
    Not so sure about the blue collar job.

Leave a comment:

• Ming Loyalist
    replied
    and the subject of my investigation is nowadays laying low with a very small Judo club and a blue collar job (last I known)...about 20 kilometres from where I live >:-(

Hope that this helps.
    heh, that makes *me* feel better about the whole thing :)

Leave a comment:

• kikoolol
    replied
    I'm the formerly frequent Bullshido poster that found out the truth about the second person you are asking about.

He and I used to be students of the same hachidan, although we were about a generation apart (and haven't met in real life).
    This person's shodan rank is legit, his sandan rank is technically legit in the way that he passed the exam before the NGB, but can be disputed because he faked his age and the minimum time between shodan and sandam exam. (must be 2 years, he did it after 1 year).
    All higher grades are from non-sanctioned/recognized Judo organizations, some of them were created by friends of him or just paper mills.

The problem is that I found out that he used the same tactics in obtaining a second university degree. His first degree is in Japanology, his second is in physio therapy, but he obtained the 'shortend' version that can only be followed by Medical Doctors. He wrote himself into this study, postponed the showing of his MD until after obtaining the Master in Physio Therapy. The University is embarrassed by this, but won't act on it.
    In my search I discovered that he had given lessons in Physio at several private colleges in the U.S. and Canada while passing himself as a M.D. Professor.
    You see were this can get messy if certain private colleges/universities have to revoke degrees, because a fraud has taught there students.

So he tried to get me before court, my lawyer got it so that I personally can't mention his name or username in such a way that it's connected to my "proven" claims, which I haven't done here either ;-) , but I gave my research material to this sites lawyer and to a former poster and Judoka here, who gave that information to several leading persons in the Judo community...and the subject of my investigation is nowadays laying low with a very small Judo club and a blue collar job (last I known)...about 20 kilometres from where I live >:-(

Hope that this helps.
    I see. This is actually a bit more serious than I had anticipated, what with the university degree thing. I do see where things could get pretty messy and this is probably why the university in question isn't doing anything about it. This is closer (but not quite there) to Morton than it is to PTN, in my opinion.

Yes, this helps tremendously in filling the gaps. This also explains some incongruent behaviour over at JF, mostly the atmosphere of censorship. Thank you very much for taking the time to share.
    Last edited by kikoolol; 10/07/2015 1:17pm, .

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    I'm the formerly frequent Bullshido poster that found out the truth about the second person you are asking about.

He and I used to be students of the same hachidan, although we were about a generation apart (and haven't met in real life).
    This person's shodan rank is legit, his sandan rank is technically legit in the way that he passed the exam before the NGB, but can be disputed because he faked his age and the minimum time between shodan and sandam exam. (must be 2 years, he did it after 1 year).
    All higher grades are from non-sanctioned/recognized Judo organizations, some of them were created by friends of him or just paper mills.

The problem is that I found out that he used the same tactics in obtaining a second university degree. His first degree is in Japanology, his second is in physio therapy, but he obtained the 'shortend' version that can only be followed by Medical Doctors. He wrote himself into this study, postponed the showing of his MD until after obtaining the Master in Physio Therapy. The University is embarrassed by this, but won't act on it.
    In my search I discovered that he had given lessons in Physio at several private colleges in the U.S. and Canada while passing himself as a M.D. Professor.
    You see were this can get messy if certain private colleges/universities have to revoke degrees, because a fraud has taught there students.

So he tried to get me before court, my lawyer got it so that I personally can't mention his name or username in such a way that it's connected to my "proven" claims, which I haven't done here either ;-) , but I gave my research material to this sites lawyer and to a former poster and Judoka here, who gave that information to several leading persons in the Judo community...and the subject of my investigation is nowadays laying low with a very small Judo club and a blue collar job (last I known)...about 20 kilometres from where I live >:-(

Hope that this helps.
    And there you have it from the "horse's mouth" as we say in American English...

Leave a comment:

• Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs
    replied

Hope that this helps.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Originally posted by kikoolol View Post
    Hi Ben. Glad to see you're still around. Sometimes I get confused when I think about how long it has been since I started Judo. Part of me thinks it can't possibly have been that long already, and yet it has been. Proof is I wonder how retarded I must have been to have chosen "kikoolol" as nick. To think that I could have had my points for the shodan test now if I hadn't taken a break!

Yeah I am from Quebec, saying that I'm "based out" of there though makes it sound like I'm some kind of professional fighter. I only play one on TV. As far as instruction and time on tatami go I am in good hands. For the first time I will also see if I can't attend a clinic or two, to diversity my access to training partners. I missed a good one a few months ago it seems, with the star of French Youtube instructionals Hiroshi Katanishi. In between researching and writing my thesis and attending some scattered classes I find myself with ample time to go get my ass thrown. Funny thing is that in some respects, taking a break from judo may have improved it, not in the technical sense (I forget some details) but in the mental sense, ie. aggressiveness, commitment and so on.

Going back to the topic at hand, I'm interested in the JF posts not really for technical advice as I can learn that on the mats but for the historical/slice-of-life posts, which I unfortunately cannot learn by being thrown around like a ragdoll. If I understand you correctly, you are saying that you believe the allegations against the ice cream pope do not poison the well from which all that knowledge flowed. That's mostly what I was scared of, because due to the lack of public info (I now also understand it cannot be discussed in detail here) I don't have an idea how far this goes. It could be like PTN who embezzled some money, which doesn't make his judo knowledge less valid, or it could be like, say, a Matthew Morton situation. You don't seem to think it's that serious so I guess a reasonable stance for me would be to maintain reasonable skepticism. Thanks for your feedback.
    Glad to hear you are still in Judo !

The ice cream king, LOL!

I don't really know the entire truth of the matter, but the truth is out there, or at least some of it... it's not really an X-Files sort of thing.

But as far as "believing" what he wrote, well, read it and see what you think. I wouldn't take anything as gospel from anybody, myself included, not that I'd intentionally mislead anyone.

I missed Katanishi Sensei out here on the west coast, couldn't get away for it.

Leave a comment:

• kikoolol
    replied
    Originally posted by BKR View Post
    Hi kikoolol,

I remember you from over on the old JF. My understanding was that Neil sold the JF because he was tired of dealing with it. He had started the old JF back in the earlier days of the web-based Internet (it was rain.org, if I recall correctly).

So as to whether or not the JF was sold due to the PTNippon issues, I doubt it, but don't have any information either way. PTNippon talked a good game of technical Judo, and gave good advice as far as I'm concerned. That might seem a bit odd coming from me, as he outranks me by at least 3 dan, LOL ! He's not the be all and end all of Judo advice, but then really nobody is.

The whole lawsuit thing was based in Europe, I believe. If I recall correctly, it had to do with one formerly frequent poster here who kind of "broke the story" on the true identity of the guy to whom you refer.

In any case, that particular person certainly wrote some (a lot) of good stuff about historical and technical Judo. I wouldn't worry about his real rank (that is subject to debate, to some at least).

Aren't you based out of Quebec ? If so, you have a whole lot of good/great judo available to you. The mecca of Judo in Canada so to speak. At your stage, time is best spent on the tatami with quality instruction and lots of training partners, plus any academic interests in Judo you may have.
    Hi Ben. Glad to see you're still around. Sometimes I get confused when I think about how long it has been since I started Judo. Part of me thinks it can't possibly have been that long already, and yet it has been. Proof is I wonder how retarded I must have been to have chosen "kikoolol" as nick. To think that I could have had my points for the shodan test now if I hadn't taken a break!

Yeah I am from Quebec, saying that I'm "based out" of there though makes it sound like I'm some kind of professional fighter. I only play one on TV. As far as instruction and time on tatami go I am in good hands. For the first time I will also see if I can't attend a clinic or two, to diversity my access to training partners. I missed a good one a few months ago it seems, with the star of French Youtube instructionals Hiroshi Katanishi. In between researching and writing my thesis and attending some scattered classes I find myself with ample time to go get my ass thrown. Funny thing is that in some respects, taking a break from judo may have improved it, not in the technical sense (I forget some details) but in the mental sense, ie. aggressiveness, commitment and so on.

Going back to the topic at hand, I'm interested in the JF posts not really for technical advice as I can learn that on the mats but for the historical/slice-of-life posts, which I unfortunately cannot learn by being thrown around like a ragdoll. If I understand you correctly, you are saying that you believe the allegations against the ice cream pope do not poison the well from which all that knowledge flowed. That's mostly what I was scared of, because due to the lack of public info (I now also understand it cannot be discussed in detail here) I don't have an idea how far this goes. It could be like PTN who embezzled some money, which doesn't make his judo knowledge less valid, or it could be like, say, a Matthew Morton situation. You don't seem to think it's that serious so I guess a reasonable stance for me would be to maintain reasonable skepticism. Thanks for your feedback.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    I'm looking for information regarding the seemingly spectacular implosion over at JF. I used to sometimes post, mostly lurk over there until I just stopped. Recently I have resumed Judo after a break and it has piqued my (obsessive) interest once more, thus I find myself reading the old JF that does not work anymore (the "archives" I guess). However, between then and now, something happened; I was already pretty far on the sidelines when it did, thus I did not follow the debacle. Some Google-fu gives me a rough draft of what happened and who was involved, but I'd like to know more. I should say straight away that I have no particular interest in this beyond mere curiosity.

Mostly, I'm looking to know whether the knowledge contained in the posts of one very verbose ice cream man is on point or bullshit. I don't know whether I should name names or not but someone who knows what I'm talking about in this topic also knows to whom I'm referring. I'm asking because it seems his integrity was put into question, and as his posts were quite arcane and often relied on his alleged first-hand experiences, it would be hard for me to check the reliability of everything he has posted that I find of interest. Thus, to know whether or not the man's integrity has been irreparably stained would at least allow me to know how many grains of salt I should read his posts with, or if I should read them at all.

On the surface, they look quite impressive and if they can be relied upon, that is quite the store of knowledge accessible at the ruins of the old JF (along with the rest of it, many good posters there back then). If they aren't, I would rather not lose my time reading all that verbiage as there is enough for weeks buried there. Of course, I would also like to know the hows, whys and becauses, since it does sound like a fantastic bit of drama, but I'll take anything I can get.

I know it's a horse long dead but I'm pretty sure I'm on the right subforum when it comes to the pummeling of deceased equines. Anyway, I would be thankful for any information or ways to obtain it.
    Hi kikoolol,

I remember you from over on the old JF. My understanding was that Neil sold the JF because he was tired of dealing with it. He had started the old JF back in the earlier days of the web-based Internet (it was rain.org, if I recall correctly).

So as to whether or not the JF was sold due to the PTNippon issues, I doubt it, but don't have any information either way. PTNippon talked a good game of technical Judo, and gave good advice as far as I'm concerned. That might seem a bit odd coming from me, as he outranks me by at least 3 dan, LOL ! He's not the be all and end all of Judo advice, but then really nobody is.

The whole lawsuit thing was based in Europe, I believe. If I recall correctly, it had to do with one formerly frequent poster here who kind of "broke the story" on the true identity of the guy to whom you refer.

In any case, that particular person certainly wrote some (a lot) of good stuff about historical and technical Judo. I wouldn't worry about his real rank (that is subject to debate, to some at least).

Aren't you based out of Quebec ? If so, you have a whole lot of good/great judo available to you. The mecca of Judo in Canada so to speak. At your stage, time is best spent on the tatami with quality instruction and lots of training partners, plus any academic interests in Judo you may have.

Leave a comment:

• Ming Loyalist
    replied
    It's really too bad about these posts, if they had been on point then they would have been pretty damn impressive. He knew how to write with an air of authority and seemed to know what he was talking about, and I thought a lot of the anecdotes were fascinating. Too bad all of it looks kind of dubious now.
    the guy clearly knows judo very well, so the fact that he (probably) lied about his rank doesn't discount everything he said. he posted a lot of quality info, and told some good stories, but i just suspect that he's not being 100% honest about his relation to the events.

TBH i was more bothered by the fact that he's an asshole to people than anything else.

Leave a comment:

• kikoolol
    replied
    Yes, I read about the first guy and came to the same conclusions.

It is the second guy you speak of who is my problem. I read about the lawsuit threats (well, they were threats when the posts were written, I suppose, were they really executed?), but didn't know why they were made exactly. I also read that this was partly why the forum was sold to that one company who slapped ads on it then forgot about it, even when the forum became unusable. If it is true that he lied about his rank then most of his posts have to be read with all the salt from the Dead Sea because he might have lied about these connections (which really were the most interesting part of his posts) and also about God knows what else. Would it be possible to know what arguments were made in essence?

There always was a cultish atmosphere over at JF, with a few high ranks (well, one might say alleged high ranks given what you've written) and their choir boys preaching to their flock about the high virtues of Judo and how important the moral education component of Judo envisioned by Kano was to the art. I remember dan grades who were mostly about competition were made to feel especially unwelcome. It seems that over time, a few of the preachers fell from their lofty posts for various reasons and attempts were made by the ecclesiastical authorities to protect these fallen members, mostly via censorship. I can't say I'm surprised, as it is often those who preach the loudest that are the most sinful.

It's really too bad about these posts, if they had been on point then they would have been pretty damn impressive. He knew how to write with an air of authority and seemed to know what he was talking about, and I thought a lot of the anecdotes were fascinating. Too bad all of it looks kind of dubious now.

Thank you for the info.
    Last edited by kikoolol; 9/29/2015 7:43am, .

Leave a comment:

• Ming Loyalist
    replied
    there's one guy who had quality posts and videos, but he stole some money and got caught. i wouldn't put him on an ethics committee or anything but his technique related content on the forum is all sound.

there's another guy who claimed high rank and all sorts of connections with famous judoka, and he was a heavy poster on the forum and someone who was greatly respected (by most.) some fairly convincing arguments were made that he was lying (at the very least) about his rank, and he then sued over the allegations (which really, to me at least, implies that they were true.) i wouldn't put much weight into anything he said that wasn't confirmed by someone who you *know* isn't a fraud.

Leave a comment:

• kikoolol
    started a topic JudoForum drama

JudoForum drama

I'm looking for information regarding the seemingly spectacular implosion over at JF. I used to sometimes post, mostly lurk over there until I just stopped. Recently I have resumed Judo after a break and it has piqued my (obsessive) interest once more, thus I find myself reading the old JF that does not work anymore (the "archives" I guess). However, between then and now, something happened; I was already pretty far on the sidelines when it did, thus I did not follow the debacle. Some Google-fu gives me a rough draft of what happened and who was involved, but I'd like to know more. I should say straight away that I have no particular interest in this beyond mere curiosity.

Mostly, I'm looking to know whether the knowledge contained in the posts of one very verbose ice cream man is on point or bullshit. I don't know whether I should name names or not but someone who knows what I'm talking about in this topic also knows to whom I'm referring. I'm asking because it seems his integrity was put into question, and as his posts were quite arcane and often relied on his alleged first-hand experiences, it would be hard for me to check the reliability of everything he has posted that I find of interest. Thus, to know whether or not the man's integrity has been irreparably stained would at least allow me to know how many grains of salt I should read his posts with, or if I should read them at all.

On the surface, they look quite impressive and if they can be relied upon, that is quite the store of knowledge accessible at the ruins of the old JF (along with the rest of it, many good posters there back then). If they aren't, I would rather not lose my time reading all that verbiage as there is enough for weeks buried there. Of course, I would also like to know the hows, whys and becauses, since it does sound like a fantastic bit of drama, but I'll take anything I can get.

I know it's a horse long dead but I'm pretty sure I'm on the right subforum when it comes to the pummeling of deceased equines. Anyway, I would be thankful for any information or ways to obtain it.

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X