No announcement yet.

Planning on signing up for BJJ at a reputable school in my area, quick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planning on signing up for BJJ at a reputable school in my area, quick question

No question of the school's legitimacy, thats not the issue. I'm wondering more about cost. I was reading through the "Finding a good school FAQ" thread and saw this part of it, but the link is not working.

Finally, for a more detailed, better discussion of martial arts contracts read:
    http : // www . bullshido . net / modules . php?name=Reviews&file=viewarticle&id=269

This is a guide to martial arts contracts written by a Bullshido.net member who practices law in Florida. Hmmm, will you have the smarts to spend 20 minutes reading an article that could save you thousands of dollars down the road?

The school I'm thinking about joining was advertising $795 for three months over the summer. That seems a bit high to me for BJJ classes, but I might be wrong. This will be my first more traditional martial art. I wrestled in middle and high school but obviously didn't have to deal with stuff like paying for training in wrestling. Am I off base thinking that this is expensive? Also if anyone can find a working link to the thread referenced in that FAQ I'd like to read it. Thanks. :D

BUYER BEWARE: Adhesive Provisions in Long Term MA Contracts

https://web.archive.org/web/20071029...article&id=269

08-28-2006, 08:31

Comment

That price is fucking ridiculous.

Comment

$795 for three months is wildly absurd. I paid less than that at one of the top BJJ gyms in the world, training under multiple world champions. Maybe you misread and it's for six months? Or for private lessons? Or this is an insane person trying to scam you?
        What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Comment

Between $100-200 a month is the going rate.
          The $200 end should have a full gym, showers, yada yada yada imo.
          Different areas have higher rent so this could differ a bit, but I feel it's a good ballpark.
          If that comes with a Gi/equipment, the place has a full gym and is in a high rent building I don't think it's an absurd price.
          Edit:Oops I thought 6 months. 3 .... that's high.
          The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

Comment

Originally posted by Trendkill View Post
            No question of the school's legitimacy, thats not the issue. I'm wondering more about cost. I was reading through the "Finding a good school FAQ" thread and saw this part of it, but the link is not working.

The school I'm thinking about joining was advertising $795 for three months over the summer. That seems a bit high to me for BJJ classes, but I might be wrong. This will be my first more traditional martial art. I wrestled in middle and high school but obviously didn't have to deal with stuff like paying for training in wrestling. Am I off base thinking that this is expensive? Also if anyone can find a working link to the thread referenced in that FAQ I'd like to read it. Thanks. :D
            if you are in NYC then prices tend to be a bit higher than outside of NYC just because of rent. is this place in manhattan?

i have seen lots of places in NYC with $250/month for unlimited classes, but one would think that paying for 3 months upfront would lower that a bit.
            "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
            "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
            "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
            "Seriously, who gives a fuck what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Comment

Thanks all

Thanks to everyone with the quick responses!

Originally posted by 1point2 View Post
              $795 for three months is wildly absurd. I paid less than that at one of the top BJJ gyms in the world, training under multiple world champions. Maybe you misread and it's for six months? Or for private lessons? Or this is an insane person trying to scam you?
              Not 100% sure what it entails other than it saying "3 month summer special" in which "uniform is included". I realize the summer is over but I assume that the pricing would be similar going forward.

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
              Between $100-200 a month is the going rate.
              The $200 end should have a full gym, showers, yada yada yada imo.
              Different areas have higher rent so this could differ a bit, but I feel it's a good ballpark.
              If that comes with a Gi/equipment, the place has a full gym and is in a high rent building I don't think it's an absurd price.
              Edit:Oops I thought 6 months. 3 .... that's high.
              From what I've seen by looking online it appears to be a pretty big place. The quoted price says that it includes uniform (gi I'm assuming).

Originally posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
              if you are in NYC then prices tend to be a bit higher than outside of NYC just because of rent. is this place in manhattan?

i have seen lots of places in NYC with $250/month for unlimited classes, but one would think that paying for 3 months upfront would lower that a bit.
              I'm right outside of NYC, in the suburbs. I realize that I live in a place where the cost of living is probably a lot higher than most places in the country so that definitely has something to do with it, but at that price it is squarely out of my price range. Is it bad etiquette to post the flyer that I've seen with the gym information and the pricing that I've mentioned? I don't want it to seem like I'm disrespecting the school by saying that the price is too high or something. :S

I see you're from NYC, have you heard any good bad things about any of the BJJ gyms in Westchester?

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
                BUYER BEWARE: Adhesive Provisions in Long Term MA Contracts

{deleted} I can't post links cuz I'm newb {deleted}

08-28-2006, 08:31
                Much appreciated, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw View Post
                  That price is fucking ridiculous.
                  Whoa its Southpaw. Thanks for starting what is possibly one of the funniest threads I've ever read, the Jason Brinn one. :D

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                  X