Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who are your 5 most over rated martial artists of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who are your 5 most over rated martial artists of all time?

I want to know who you think gets way more martial credit than they deserve, and why.

This is my list.

5) Ronda Rously. Now is a good moment to point out that "over rated" does not mean bad, or unskilled, just not as good as people seem to think. Ronda might be the most dominant woman in sports right now, but that does not make the cringe inducing claims you occasionally hear about how she "could take Cain Velasquez in a fight" go away.

4) Steven Seagal. Probably the worlds most well known aikido "fighter", Seagal is known for his total disconnect from reality. The fact that people really thought he taught Anderson god dammed Silva how to kick a guy in the face, and likewise thought there was any way he could survive a fight with Randy Couture would normally put him higher on the list, but the fact a grown population have either never heard of him or know better cancels a lot of that out.

3) Jackie Chan. I shit you not I have known people who think Jackie Chan is an unstoppable martial force. While obviously he has martial arts experience, and Evel Knievel levels of disregard for his personal safety, that's about it as far as I'm aware.

2) Mike Tyson. A legitimate monster, Tyson was a killing machine. That said, there are half a dozen other heavyweight boxers who very likely could have taken Tyson, whom people have either never heard of, or only know from their line of grills.

1) Bruce Lee. Maybe it is just me, but it seems like all of the wackos come out when it is time to talk about Lee. There are people who honestly believe that he invented the counter punch, MMA, cross training, and adapting a game plan to fit the opponent. He has reached the point where even people affiliated to him are given weird amounts of credibility for having interacted with him. If you pose a question about Ip man, Jackie Chan, or Chuck Norris's fighting ability on the internet, sooner or later someone will bring up their connection to Lee, as though he could hand out super powers. Just for good measure here is a link to Anderson Silva doing his Bruce Lee impression, the comments are the relevant part. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWTcAJnm9xQ

That's my list, who have you got?
    Last edited by Xiphiidae; 9/11/2015 12:38am, . Reason: edited for typos.

1. Carlos Gracie Jr.

Who the fuck put this viado in charge?

2. Rousey

She's a beast, and amongst women she's a king. All this talk about her taking out waves of men is absurd though.

3. Bruce Lee

A bit much on the hero worship there.

4. Kit Dale

Really internet?

5. Jordan Tabor

What a faggot. This dude's running around town claiming to be a black belt regional champion. Everyone knows that was The Villain.

Comment

Strongly agree with Tyson and Lee. Seagal also fits as well because of the Anderson Silva bullshit, but Jackie Chan could be replaced with virtually any action hero.

I'd add Kimbo Slice to the pile. It's not so much his ability that's overrated, but his capacity to put on an "exciting" fight.

Comment

Lee has no competitive record. Agree
        Tyson from 1990 is easily one of the greatest of all time.

Comment

I agree with Ronda Rousey and Bruce Lee, for sure.

I strongly disagree with Tyson. I think Mike Tyson was something special. Now, I realize if you sit down and analyze every boxing skill, one by one there are others that outshine Tyson. But.....what sticks out to me about Tyson is this - I've never seen anyone who consistently knocked out fighters with one shot or one combination the way he did. Compare him to history's greatest heavyweight boxers. Most boxers knocked people out with a string of punches. Tyson consistently put fresh fighters to sleep with one or two shots. The dude had one of a kind punching power and deserves his reputation.
          Last edited by Devil; 9/11/2015 6:56am, .

Comment

And Bill Wallace was overrated.

Comment

Ronda Rousey-There's no need to be hipster dorks and hate on someone who is Gorgeous ,Blonde ,an Olympic Medalist, ufc champ, philanthropist, movie star, Sports illustrated swimsuit model and she pretty clearly got some crazy in her..... which makes it fair to assume she is dynamite in the sack. .....it kinda makes people seem like assholes when they do that sort of thing. Even if she is over rated by some people, she is still fucking amazing by any standard I can think of.

Comment

Yeah, honestly... would you say a lightweight fighter who was the top in his class was overrated because he couldn't take out the top heavyweight fighters?

Comment

Originally posted by Evergrey View Post
                  Yeah, honestly... would you say a lightweight fighter who was the top in his class was overrated because he couldn't take out the top heavyweight fighters?
                  Nope, but if the subject was being broached, and there was a sizable group of people who believed that he very well could, then the guy's probably overrated. I don't really have a dog in this fight, just playing devil's advocate (though I'm sure he doesn't need one, as he's demonstrated in many a thread on here).

Comment

Here's my list.

Bruce lee- you can't bite out of armbars. Any mean judo or wrestling Medalist of that era would destroy him I would bet. I am also pretty positive there are a slew of boxing and Muay Thai guys that would have shit kicked him.

Anyone strictly doing Krav,Kajkenbo, Wing chum, aikido ,systema, or ninjitsu. If they are rated in anyway, it's too high.

Mr Miagy - he says in karate kid 1 if you do the crane kick right "no can defend" but pretty clearly it is defended in karate kid 2. So either he is a liar or a shitty teacher. I think hes both.

George Dillman - if I had a chance to have a legal death match with anyone in history it would be George "black belt hall of fame member" Dillman.I hate his face.

Any US special forces guys hand to hand skills who have not gone to seek out secondary training beyond the requirements. - legit tough guys no doubt. Deadly with guns? I believe they are the best soldiers in the world ,are amazing marksman and I am really proud and thankful for what they do. However .... they can't fight unarmed worth a damn. I would pick a non trained dude that grew up with 5 mean older brothers over a standard green beret,ranger, recon,seal in unarmed combat. The general public thinks they are all James bond,chuck Norris ,Fabricio Werdum and Bruce Lee all rolled into one, but They arent. I hope that doesn't come across shitty.

Floyd Mayweather jr. - I will let Iron Mike explain why

https://youtu.be/iA24sDTpMuA . He only fights dudes on their way up or on their way down their prime and then hugs it out. Hes good and a champion, but he isnt the best of all time at anything .

Comment

Originally posted by Devil View Post
                      I strongly disagree with Tyson. I think Mike Tyson was something special. Now, I realize if you sit down and analyze every boxing skill, one by one there are others that outshine Tyson. But.....what sticks out to me about Tyson is this - I've never seen anyone who consistently knocked out fighters with one shot or one combination the way he did. Compare him to history's greatest heavyweight boxers. Most boxers knocked people out with a string of punches. Tyson consistently put fresh fighters to sleep with one or two shots. The dude had one of a kind punching power and deserves his reputation.
                      And his defense was nasty too (in his prime).

Comment

Originally posted by Evergrey View Post
                        I think she catches shit for saying she believes she can beat anyone, but that's how people like her think.
                        Listen to Tyson,Ali, Bj Penn or any other destroyer of world's in their prime.
                        Bj asked to fight Andrei Arlovski as his UFC come back fight. He fought Machida at HW . I am pretty sure he wasn't crying and pissing his pants because of fear backstage, because he "KNEW" he was the Baddest muthafucka on the planet.
                        It's just a mindset thing that people have trouble wrapping their brains around.
                        Unless Cain happens to have a seizure and dies while he's fighting ronda there is no way she wins.

Comment

Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
                          And his defense was nasty too (in his prime).
                          He made the notion of playing peekaboo downright terrifying.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                            Ronda Rousey-There's no need to be hipster dorks and hate on someone who is Gorgeous ,Blonde ,an Olympic Medalist, ufc champ, philanthropist, movie star, Sports illustrated swimsuit model and she pretty clearly got some crazy in her..... which makes it fair to assume she is dynamite in the sack. .....it kinda makes people seem like assholes when they do that sort of thing. Even if she is over rated by some people, she is still fucking amazing by any standard I can think of.
                            Well, I'm clearly an asshole already so your argument is invalid.

I think Ronda Rousey is awesome. I'm a fan. Despite everything she brings to the table her hype is far beyond her actual accomplishments. She's accomplished a ton. That just goes to show the level of her hype. For real, there is some Beatles, Michael Jackson in his prime, Jesus Christ level adoration going on when it comes to her. She makes grown men cry like 7th grade girls who meet their teeny bopper idols. NeilG and BKR will come charging in to defend her good name shortly and you'll get to see what I mean.

And then you have all the people that think she can beat King Kong and Godzilla and Cain Velasquez at the same time.

So, she deserves hype but still manages to be overrated.
                            Last edited by Devil; 9/11/2015 8:46am, .

Comment

Royce Gracie is all five for me.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X