People are dumb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People are dumb

http://www.changshapkido.net/martial-arts-london/). And they have NON-CONTACT SPARRING ONLY. When I went there it was like a combination of bad tae kwon do and standard aikido (needless to say I didn't sign up).
    Now.
    If you are already in the London bridge area it's not that deep to jump on a FIVE MINUTE TRAIN to London Old street (Source:TFL https://tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/re...tWarning=False

That's not uncommon. Fight training is hard. LaRP training gives you the same feeling of being a bad ass without the actual skill. People like to feel like unstoppable with the constant ego reminder that they aren't very good. People will even pay for that privilege.

Comment

Originally posted by <plasma> View Post
      Fight training is hard. LaRP training gives you the same feeling of being a bad ass without the actual skill. People like to feel like unstoppable with the constant ego reminder that they aren't very good. People will even pay for that privilege.
      Bullshido being the reality check which points out that this type of training is a fail. I punched a lot of air back in the day myself.
      I thought I spelled it wrong, but as I said I'm a mechanic not an English professor.

Comment

Even for London those prices are pretty excessive. However, there are a lot of overpaid idiots who frequent that part of London.....

Comment

Originally posted by Mandem View Post
          When I went there it was like a combination of bad tae kwon do and standard aikido
          Considering the origins of hapkido, that's not a bad assessment.

Hapkido was the first MA that I trained in, and there is a wide range of quality, with some good stuff out there, but unfortunately many places that offer hapkido are run by TKD dudes who "minored" in hapkido and teach it as "TKD plus I know a few joint locks". The school you linked to makes me eye twitch, what with all the "Ki meditation" and their use of this statement: "Other martial arts emphasize tournaments, street fighting, and competitiveness. Hapkido emphasizes self-discipline and personal development." Now I'm all for self-discipline and personal development (obviously), but this should be a "both-and" thing instead of "either-or." The fact that they advertise their uselessness is actually a nice change of pace.

Comment

Originally posted by <plasma> View Post
            That's not uncommon. Fight training is hard. LaRP training gives you the same feeling of being a bad ass without the actual skill. People like to feel like unstoppable with the constant ego reminder that they aren't very good. People will even pay for that privilege.
            Trust. I also think a lot of people just don't do the research before they pay up; they read the stuff on the website about how the head instructor grew up in a buddhist monastery learning Hapkido and they assume that means he must be running a great dojang. I'm really glad I knew a bit about what I was looking for and went to a Muay Thai club instead.

Comment

Wow, they make students pay for their own insurance, and don't spar?

Talk about throwing your money away.

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
                Wow, they make students pay for their own insurance, and don't spar?

Talk about throwing your money away.
                The scary thing is I very nearly started training there

Comment

That sounds a lot like Choi Kwang Do's membership policies, too.

Comment

Lolwut? That's my neck of the woods. Could go def. there for shits and giggles

If we have given you sufficient information you are welcome to enrol on your first visit.
                    Jesus, you can't even join 2 to 3 training sessions without signing up? That's bullshit for London standards! Might actually go and check out LFF.

Chang's Hapkido Academy London sounds like a real McDojo to me

Comment

Originally posted by Moenstah View Post

Jesus, you can't even join 2 to 3 training sessions without signing up? That's bullshit for London standards! Might actually go and check out LFF.

I would go to LFF if I had the money...and the time to go there and back regularly.

Comment

I'm more surprised by the 90 euro for unlimited classes. That's a steal!

Comment

Originally posted by Moenstah View Post

You can't even join 1 session without signing up, the most they would let me do was watch a class.
                          By the way they were really nice people and the instructor I talked to was very friendly and honest, I just think their prices are ridiculous for what you get.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X