X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think some kidnappers try to bear hug people

Comment

Originally posted by Evergrey View Post
      Often I see people talking about defending against a bear hug, how you need to learn to defend yourself against it "out on the street."

But I've never actually heard of anyone being attacked with a bear hug.

Is this something that happens much? Have you ever had someone grab you with a bear hug? Do you know anyone who has? Have you heard of it happening?

I just wonder, because they always have self defense classes and seminars and stuff that are about bear hugs, or having the front of your shirt grabbed, or being choked.

Me, I was grabbed from behind and attacked once, but I was seven years old, and it wasn't a bear hug, I was grabbed by my arms.

So, why so much emphasis on bear hugs and being grabbed by the shoulder or the front of your shirt? Am I missing something, does this actually happen a lot?
      A bear hug is one of many ways a person can potentially grab you. A martial artist should know how to deal with it.

Comment

The name is due to the way certain predatory bears grab you to eat you, in a great big crushing hug so it can sink its teeth into your skull and nape, so in nature a bear hug typical means death, and you're dinner.

The human version has a pretty brutal history too.

Comment

I was profoundly amazed when I actually managed to hit a textbook perfect head-and-arm toss against a wrestler trying to bear hug me a few months back in jiu-jitsu. He easily escaped my kesa-gatame and choked me out, though. I also got crunched every single time I tried to pull it off again in stand-up.

But I bet someone good could've made it work, though.

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
            It depends on how often you visit the northern tundra, and whether you're on foot or an armored bus, at least for that kind of bear.
            Either that guy is huge, that is a cub, or photoshop.
            Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
              Either that guy is huge, that is a cub, or photoshop.
              Mark Abbot Dumas, the Grizzly Man

Grizzly man Mark Dumas, 60, is the only man in the world that can swim with a polar bear. The fearless polar bear handler from Abbotsford, British Columbia, regularly goes for dip in his swimming pool with 16-year-old female polar bear Agee, and the pair enjoy a watery cuddle together. Grizzly Man Mark and wife Dawn, 60, train the 60-stone (800lb) friendly polar bear - the world's largest land predator - to star in high-budget TV adverts. Agee has also performed in movies like 'Alaska' in 1995 when she was just a few weeks old. With his incredibly intimate bond Grizzly Man Mark wrestles on the grass with Agee, kisses her, puts his head in the polar bear's huge jaws, and even bear hugs her as she rears up on her hind legs to over seven feet. Mark and Dawn have owned Agee since she was six weeks old and the now colossal bear lived in their home as a cub where she played with the family dogs and was bottle fed.

Comment

What's this move called?

https://youtu.be/QQFLoPyHXsU?t=565

Seems viable.

Comment

Mark Abbot Dumas, the Grizzly Man

Considering the endangered status of polar bears, I wonder how he ended up with one as a pet ? Never mind, I'll read it for myself if I really care.

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Considering the endangered status of polar bears, I wonder how he ended up with one as a pet ? Never mind, I'll read it for myself if I really care.
                    Technically polar bears do not have an IUCN Red List status of "Endangered"...yet. If the Arctic keeps melting, that will probably change.

They're at "Vulnerable" status which is one level less severe, like zebras, hippos, rhinos, lions, elephants, etc.

Recent US legislation has sought to include them as a "threatened" species under the Endangered Species Act, due to the rapidly melting Arctic ice. Number wise they are doing fine, but they are facing a huge, near term mortality rate (I think the number I saw was 30%+ over the next 50 years, which is a lot of dead bears).

Comment

Technically polar bears do not have an IUCN Red List status of "Endangered"...yet. If the Arctic keeps melting, that will probably change.

They're at "Vulnerable" status, like zebras, hippos, rhinos, lions, etc, but recent US legislation has sought to include them as "threatened" species under the Endangered Species Act, due to the rapidly melting Arctic ice.
                      I just knew you would look that up and correct me, LOL !

We have a Zebra up here in north Idaho. The local elk (wapiti) ranch has one. My kids kept telling me they did, and I though they were making it up. Saw it yesterday as we drove up north to go grouse hunting. Sure as hell, there was a young Zebra in there...not sure what he's going to do with it, maybe keep it in the greenhouse this winter, LOL !

Comment

Originally posted by FredEttishfan View Post
                        What's this move called?

Seems viable.
                        Just an overhook throw.

Canada doesn't consider them endangered. Stephen Harper has refused to ratify any international agreement that would include designating polar bears as such. Can't admit to global warming and all that.

Comment

They're at "Vulnerable" status which is one level less severe, like zebras, hippos, rhinos, lions, elephants, etc.

Recent US legislation has sought to include them as a "threatened" species under the Endangered Species Act, due to the rapidly melting Arctic ice. Number wise they are doing fine, but they are facing a huge, near term mortality rate (I think the number I saw was 30%+ over the next 50 years, which is a lot of dead bears).
                          I thought polar bears and brown bears could interbreed (not even sure if offspring are viable). Would they be dieing out or just blending into the brown bear population with the environmental barrier gone? Either way a unique population goes away, just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by mike321 View Post
                            I thought polar bears and brown bears could interbreed (not even sure if offspring are viable). Would they be dieing out or just blending into the brown bear population with the environmental barrier gone? Either way a unique population goes away, just curious.
                            They can interbreed. They separated into different populations. It's fairly unusual for them to interbreed though. Loss of sea ice would be a lot larger effect, as Polar Bears depend on seals for food, and they hunt them via the sea ice.

There is a fairly well known case of a hunter killing a brown bear/polar bear hybrid a few years ago. He got into lot of trouble for it. It was a legal hunt, and his native guide told him to shoot, which he did.

Comment

Originally posted by FredEttishfan View Post
                              What's this move called?

Seems viable.
                              It's a lateral drop type throw. Maia used a simular one to toss Chael and insta-tap him. I love lateral drops.
                              The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

Comment

More like corrected us both, I also thought they were Endangered.

Either way the melting sea ice will turn things into a biotic crisis for whole generations of bears.

I've always wanted my own polar bear. My grandmother used to visit them.
                                Last edited by W. Rabbit; 9/09/2015 4:43pm, .

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X