The bear hug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Evergrey View Post
    Often I see people talking about defending against a bear hug, how you need to learn to defend yourself against it "out on the street."

But I've never actually heard of anyone being attacked with a bear hug.

Is this something that happens much? Have you ever had someone grab you with a bear hug? Do you know anyone who has? Have you heard of it happening?

I just wonder, because they always have self defense classes and seminars and stuff that are about bear hugs, or having the front of your shirt grabbed, or being choked.

Me, I was grabbed from behind and attacked once, but I was seven years old, and it wasn't a bear hug, I was grabbed by my arms.

So, why so much emphasis on bear hugs and being grabbed by the shoulder or the front of your shirt? Am I missing something, does this actually happen a lot?
    Bear hugs are brutal. Here is a hint the next time you do a bear hug escape get the other person to actually hang on. The likley hood is you won't get out.

This is the only method I have found that works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6XGABVzZ4E

There are better videos. I can't find them.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Comment

Originally posted by The Cap View Post
      I grabbed someone in a bearhug on the street just Thursday. An angry old scottish man tried to push me and steal my cab, so I locked him up in a front bodylock and swung him right out of the thing. 100% street effective, he'd clearly never learnt how to escape one.
      I used to throw people out with it all the time.
      Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
      http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Comment

Originally posted by Holy Moment View Post
        The key to defending is keeping your hips away.
        Holy Moment just literally just gave every world class kickboxer the secret to being a ufc Champ. No hip control? No takedown!
        Essentially every takedown,trip or slam comes down to hip control. Someone could make the argument that some trips are feet or leg control. .... and then I would make the argument that they are just a lever/mechanism to control the hips. I would be right because I am smarter,better looking and gosh darn it people like me.
        The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

Comment

Originally posted by gregaquaman View Post
          Bear hugs are brutal. Here is a hint the next time you do a bear hug escape get the other person to actually hang on. The likley hood is you won't get out.

This is the only method I have found that works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6XGABVzZ4E

There are better videos. I can't find them.
          That's not a bear hug. That was a folk style bodylock where they aren't allowed to join hands. That move doesn't address splitting the grips, because in folk you're not allowed to connect from a dominant position unless it's a near fall or pinning situation.
          A solid move none the less but a bit incomplete for an actual bear hug style bodylock escape.
          Last edited by Raycetpfl; 9/05/2015 10:08am, .
          The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
            I thought this thread needed more street
            https://youtu.be/iOXB7hbBv_8

Oh yeah only click that if you wanna see a KO by "bear Hug"
            That could easily have been fatal. He landed on the Back of his Head, and that can be "Life-Changing" with major injury to Body and Brain. It can also result in death. No doubt the Defence Statement in Court, would be "I didn't mean it, your Honour", in other words, the likely consequences never occurred to him having learned something from WWE or a dojo or some description.

Comment

Performing a suplex (or other hard throws) on someone on a concrete street could easily be considered unnecessary (even lethal) force and not valid self defense.

Think about it: he performs that move while he has a bear hug (ie pretty solid control of the other guy) already...at which point he doesn't have to go any further. He can keep the guy there, even sit and take the back. Obviously he has the skill to do it.

Nope, he slams the guy's head into concrete and doesn't even stop there, he proceeds to ground and pound a guy who is clearly unconscious and no longer a threat...how is it different from him physically taking the guy's head and slamming it in to the curb? Not a whole lot.

Even though the other guy swung first...self defense plea...denied.

In fact as much as I don't want to admit it, the guy who got slammed probably had/has a strong civil case against Mr. Suplex. It's hard to tell but for all we know he was the initial aggressor anyway, so I'm not sure we should clap for him just because he concussed the other fella. Not enough information..
              Last edited by W. Rabbit; 9/05/2015 4:39pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
                Performing a suplex (or other hard throws) on someone on a concrete street could easily be considered unnecessary (even lethal) force and not valid self defense.

Think about it: he performs that move while he has a bear hug (ie pretty solid control of the other guy) already...at which point he doesn't have to go any further. He can keep the guy there, even sit and take the back. Obviously he has the skill to do it.

Nope, he slams the guy's head into concrete and doesn't even stop there, he proceeds to ground and pound a guy who is clearly unconscious and no longer a threat...how is it different from him physically taking the guy's head and slamming it in to the curb? Not a whole lot.

Even though the other guy swung first...self defense plea...denied.

In fact as much as I don't want to admit it, the guy who got slammed probably had/has a strong civil case against Mr. Suplex. It's hard to tell but for all we know he was the initial aggressor anyway, so I'm not sure we should clap for him just because he concussed the other fella. Not enough information..
                I was in no way giving credence to the idea that someone is right in this situation. I posted the video to show why you don't want to be "bear hugged" .
                Right ,wrong or indifferent the recipient of that slam my now have trouble with his abc's and 1-2-3's.

I highly recommend people learn the Gracie Basics in Helio's Book. I see them performed in UFC championship bouts all the time. Even if bjj isn't your bag , there is no reason not know that material.
                Last edited by Raycetpfl; 9/05/2015 5:50pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                  I was in no way giving credence to the idea that someone is right in this situation. I posted the video to show why you don't want to be "bear hugged" .
                  Right ,wrong or indifferent the recipient of that slam my now have trouble with his abc's and 1-2-3's.
                  Oh I don't think you were, and from a technique POV it's a pretty amazing video. Just a great case study of the do/don't of "street". You don't want to be either guy in this scenario, white could easily face felony charges over this action and have to pay for red's medical bills. Red, well....hopefully he wasn't permanently damaged and learned his own lesson about escalating violence.

Believe it or not this was debated to death on Reddit ("German Suplex on Concrete") and elsewhere...quite a few people pointed out in response to the cries of "It's Self Defense!", this is equivalent to countering someone's lazy punch by swinging a cinder block into their skull, not to mention the post-KO GnP.

https://www.reddit.com/r/martialarts...x_on_concrete/
                  Last edited by W. Rabbit; 9/05/2015 6:40pm, .

Comment

Restraint is for pussies.
                    Dan Severn loves raping people.

Comment

Restraint is for pussies.
                      I'd rather be a wise pussy than dead, or worse, in a Jersey prison.

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
                        I'd rather be a wise pussy than dead, or worse, in a Jersey prison.
                        It's not so bad now. They turned Rahway into a prison state after Emmanuel Yarbrough freed everyone from EJSP and took over the town.
                        Dan Severn loves raping people.

Comment

It's not so bad now. They turned Rahway into a prison state after Emmanuel Yarbrough freed everyone from EJSP and took over the town.
                          Emmanuel's shoe size is only 8 larger than mine.

Comment

Bear hugs are not very practical for Martial Arts, how often do you fight a bear?

Comment

Originally posted by <plasma> View Post
                              Bear hugs are not very practical for Martial Arts, how often do you fight a bear
                              It depends on how often you visit the northern tundra, and whether you're on foot or an armored bus, at least for that kind of bear.

Comment

Originally posted by Evergrey View Post
                                Often I see people talking about defending against a bear hug, how you need to learn to defend yourself against it "out on the street."

But I've never actually heard of anyone being attacked with a bear hug.

Is this something that happens much? Have you ever had someone grab you with a bear hug? Do you know anyone who has? Have you heard of it happening?

I just wonder, because they always have self defense classes and seminars and stuff that are about bear hugs, or having the front of your shirt grabbed, or being choked.

Me, I was grabbed from behind and attacked once, but I was seven years old, and it wasn't a bear hug, I was grabbed by my arms.

So, why so much emphasis on bear hugs and being grabbed by the shoulder or the front of your shirt? Am I missing something, does this actually happen a lot?
                                In kenpo we often "defended against the bear hug". Looking back on it, it was actually more of a drill to start striking before a general body grab is executed. In this context I think it is a useful drill. Especially since it has to be forced by some sort of drill since it does not occur in normal sparring. As far as defending against a fully developed bear hug i think that needs to done in some sort of grappling training. I also think you need to learn to execute bear hugs and tackles to be able to defend against them. Otherwise it is really hard to understand what the attacker is trying to do and how violent the attack will be.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X