Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the best BJJ Martial Artist of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is the best BJJ Martial Artist of all time?

Just to be contrarian, Oswaldo Fadda. Brought BJJ to the less privileged and defeated the Gracie's academy in a challenge match (mostly with toe holds)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Bullshido - No BS MMA mobile app

Comment

Ha, before I opened this thread I was actually thinking Marcelo, Rickison, and Andre.

I like Mckenzie Dern's BJJ as well.

Keenan Cornelius is one of my favs.

Just the other day I won a local BJJ tournament and when I got off the podium they called up a white belt named Keenan Cornelius. I thought that was hilarious because it was the exact same name in a BJJ tournament... but a while belt....

Comment

Ha, before I opened this thread I was actually thinking Marcelo, Rickison, and Andre.

I like Mckenzie Dern's BJJ as well.

Keenan Cornelius is one of my favs.

Just the other day I won a local BJJ tournament and when I got off the podium they called up a white belt named Keenan Cornelius. I thought that was hilarious because it was the exact same name in a BJJ tournament... but a while belt....

Comment

I agree that the best BJJ martial artist of all time has to be proven in MMA as well. Grappling tournaments are not the highest form of proof of Jiu Jitsu effectiveness. Fighting is the highest form of proof.

I'm going with Ronaldo Souza. Loved his relentless, aggressive, takedown heavy grappling game and I love him as a fighter. And he has the strength and conditioning to match his skills. He's a bad motherfucker. Probably the single most perfect example of what a Jiu Jitsu practitioner should be, in my opinion.

Comment

Comment

Probably some old hermit living in the jungles of Brazil that no ones every heard of.

Comment

I don't think he's the best but Xande Ribeiro has a great grappling record and has at least fought MMA. Don't know if the fights were any good though. Pure grappling he's obviously right up there. Ronaldo Souza makes sense, how many other people have a world championship (or similar grappling achievement) and 16 submission wins in MMA?

What would you consider the minimum pure grappling achievement and minimum MMA achievement for someone to be given consideration?

Comment

Rickson - not only for his pro record but for what other mma and bjj Champs have said he does to them in training and closed door matches. He is said to have beat Rolls in a family tournament. My favorite story is how he use to fight Royler and Royce simultaneously with no hands and win. There was an article written about this and the author gave a first hand account about seeing it. My teacher told me things Royce has told him and it's enough for me to put him firmly at #1.

Rolls really expanded jiu jitsu with wrestling sambo and just a having an open mind with training. No pro record though due to his era.

Relson is older than Rickson and has no real pro record except challenge matches and bjj. However he is the wildest out of the bunch and has a lot of street fights/challenge matches. He has never lost a bjj match or fight except to Rolls Gracie per Relson. I have never heard this claim disputed. When Royce was winning UFC tournaments Relson was training him and kicking his butt with ease. My close friends witnessed this and other things first hand.No pro record though due to his era.

Fabricio Werdum has choked two "invincible " mma Champs out and has won every single sub grappling/bjj event that matters. He holds the Lineal Baddest Man On The Planet Title and the UFC Heavy weight strap. Plus he KOed a K1 champ from making him respect his takedowns so much. He's the only dude fighting today that operates on the "I wish a mother fucker would try and take me down" as his takedown defence. That's fuckin gangsta. He's one of the most complete fighters ever on record imho.

Dos Anjos has got to be on the list too. He's beat Cobrinia at bjj and out struck Anthony Pettis. I don't think anyone else has done that. He's like a Jiu Jitsu blender. He can be set to chop, crush or whip.

Ricardo Arona deserves to be mentioned aswell. He was beastly in his day.
                  Last edited by Raycetpfl; 8/29/2015 4:13am, .

Comment

Rickson is my number 1 but I don't really have an order for the other guys. Although on Paper it's hard not to agree that Werdum is the most accomplished jiu jitsu black belt ever except for maybe Teddy Roosevelt :-p.

Comment

I'd go with Rickson, but I'm also a Roger Gracie fan as well. He beats people with just the basics. If you attend one of his seminars it's an extra layer of confidence because you literally see him use with effectiveness everything he shows you, and it's stuff someone from any rank can do. That level of imposing your will is class.

Comment

One of the best grapplers is Renato Laranja for sure.

I like how Jeff Glover challenged Renato and then got caught in his RNC in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yGtNND9ew4

Comment

Werdum deserves to be near the very top of the short list for sure. But here he is getting completely tooled by Souza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjft2aGXNwo

Comment

I am going to throw a controversial on out here
                            Rousimar Palhares
                            Pure Grappling a lot weaker than the others with only a silver in ADCC
                            However as MMA fighters that grapple
                            Wins 18 with 15 by submission via modern MMA practitioners including Jake Shields and Jon Fitch.
                            The guy is a Douche Bag
                            From a technical stand point his technique isn't as clean as anyone else on this list but he is employing it very well at a high level in MMA.
                            He unlike most people in the modern era of MMA is still using a heavily BJJ based MMA Game.

Of course he doesn't have the teaching credentials a lot of the others have, he hasn't grown the sport, he doesn't have the pure grappling record of the others.
                            Lacks any sort of sportsmen like conduct (although I don't know if this even matters).

Comment

Originally posted by cereus View Post
                              What would you consider the minimum pure grappling achievement and minimum MMA achievement for someone to be given consideration?
                              These of course are 2 very important questions, I don't know.

So far I would say Ronaldo Souza shows the best of both worlds.
                              He has
                              ADCC
                              Silver medal at Absolute
                              Gold medal at -88kg

The fairest way to do this would be to have some sort of points system?
                              ADCC metal is worth something
                              Absolute wins might have to be done on some sort of sliding scale based on the weight of the fighter.
                              MMA wins via submission should be worth points.
                              MMA wins over other legends should be worth some extra points.
                              Then some points should or could be awarded for fighters trained?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X