Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do TMAers hate on MMA? (stereotypes you've heard about combat sports)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NeilG
    replied
    Originally posted by ksennin View Post
    Of course, but the problem is the misrepresentation. I have a friend who was a kata and point fighting champion. She traveled all over and had great experiences with it. She had no desire to learn full contact martial arts, grappling or MMA. Meanwhile I cross-fought in backyards and garages and collected injuries and scars. It is easy to make an argument her martial arts practice was more positive. We did different things. She was an elite athlete and better at what she did and arguably gained more from it proportionally than I did. The important thing is to be aware and honest of what it is one does and why one does it.

But many TMA are not aware or honest. They still buy the myth, the invicible skills superhero powers claptrap, and/or they still preach it. They actually make the successful athletes like my friend look bad by association, by murking the general awareness of the scope and intent of what sport karate is and aims to be.
    The flip side of that is the large number of people who believe that your friend was wasting her time, and that she's an idiot for not studying something with more practical self-defence application.

Leave a comment:

• Omega Supreme
    replied
    Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Five Family Fist, or Five Ancestor Fist? I thought it was the latter.
    I'm using layman terms it's Five Ancestors.

Leave a comment:

• ksennin
    replied
    Originally posted by NeilG View Post
    The thing is, if you are truly in a martial tradition the key word is tradition. The whole point is to train the way they used to. The guys doing Katori Shinto Ryu aren't about to drop their swords in favour of automatic rifles. Nor should the Shotokan guys start training kick-boxing style. So long as they don't misrepresent themselves I don't have a problem. There seems to be a large number of people that are completely baffled at the thought of practicing martial arts with a different set of goals than their own.
    Of course, but the problem is the misrepresentation. I have a friend who was a kata and point fighting champion. She traveled all over and had great experiences with it. She had no desire to learn full contact martial arts, grappling or MMA. Meanwhile I cross-fought in backyards and garages and collected injuries and scars. It is easy to make an argument her martial arts practice was more positive. We did different things. She was an elite athlete and better at what she did and arguably gained more from it proportionally than I did. The important thing is to be aware and honest of what it is one does and why one does it.

But many TMA are not aware or honest. They still buy the myth, the invicible skills superhero powers claptrap, and/or they still preach it. They actually make the successful athletes like my friend look bad by association, by murking the general awareness of the scope and intent of what sport karate is and aims to be.
    Last edited by ksennin; 8/28/2015 9:55am, .

Leave a comment:

• W. Rabbit
    replied
    Originally posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Rising Phoenix which is an evolution of the 5 families.
    Five Family Fist, or Five Ancestor Fist? I thought it was the latter.

Leave a comment:

• W. Rabbit
    replied
    Originally posted by Scott Larson View Post
    I believe this is the worst problem. Especially since its right in the name, "Kung fu". Its not called "Skill gained through theorizing and postulating"
    I'm with Zhuangzi, I blame Confucius.

We should follow Master Zhuang's example, and playfully troll Confucian-like thinkers. It drives them mad.

Leave a comment:

• Omega Supreme
    replied
    Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    What's your base in omega?
    My base is in Gotham City.....

Kung fu is my main system, specifically Rising Phoenix which is an evolution of the 5 families.

Leave a comment:

• Raycetpfl
    replied
    Well okay, I'll let you live this time. But next time. Bam! So yeah.
    What's your base in omega?

Leave a comment:

• Scott Larson
    replied
    Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    But that's where a lot of TMAers get lost, the work. They don't REALLY want to get hit, or suffer any of the consequences of fighting. They want to avoid all that, and so their idea of martial arts becomes all about avoidance. Then They watch pro fighting on TV and scoff with their Scotsman fallacies that "no TRUE martial artist would do that" etc.

And that's their issue right there. They don't respect the work that's been put in to what they're watching. They're dismissing people who spend thousand+ hours a year training and have taken and given more damage than "They" can even conceive.

Fuck that sort of "martial artist", they're the worst breed of all. They don't represent TMA per se, they just represent stupid.
    I believe this is the worst problem. Especially since its right in the name, "Kung fu". Its not called "Skill gained through theorizing and postulating"

Leave a comment:

• Omega Supreme
    replied
    Originally posted by ashkelon View Post
    It was a rhetorical question to begin with and I specify that I was talking about a specific kind of TMA'er, the ones that only do dead training and look down on MMA and combat sports. I've never said you're not a TMA'er because you have exposure, I say you're not this kind of TMA'er because of what I've seen of your practice.
    Well okay, I'll let you live this time. But next time. Bam! So yeah.

Leave a comment:

• ashkelon
    replied
    What the fuck type of sense does this make? You ask which TMA'ers have had this exposure. I raise my hand, then you say I'm not a TMA because I have this exposure. Seriously?
    It was a rhetorical question to begin with and I specify that I was talking about a specific kind of TMA'er, the ones that only do dead training and look down on MMA and combat sports. I've never said you're not a TMA'er because you have exposure, I say you're not this kind of TMA'er because of what I've seen of your practice.

Leave a comment:

• mike321
    replied
    Originally posted by DCS View Post
    I think this was said before but most of the so called TMA were really developed less than 100 years ago.
    To make some sense of "traditional", I think of multi-generational arts that work to preserve style, teachings, and customs of founders. Arts like wrestling and boxing are in the historical and prehistorical (think archeology) record but are not traditional in this way. Short version, 100 years make sense as a time frame for a traditional art.

Leave a comment:

• NeilG
    replied
    The thing is, if you are truly in a martial tradition the key word is tradition. The whole point is to train the way they used to. The guys doing Katori Shinto Ryu aren't about to drop their swords in favour of automatic rifles. Nor should the Shotokan guys start training kick-boxing style. So long as they don't misrepresent themselves I don't have a problem. There seems to be a large number of people that are completely baffled at the thought of practicing martial arts with a different set of goals than their own.

Leave a comment:

• ermghoti
    replied
    What the fuck type of sense does this make? You ask which TMA'ers have had this exposure. I raise my hand, then you say I'm not a TMA because I have this exposure. Seriously?
    It's an inverse no-true-Scotsman argument.

Leave a comment:

• DCS
    replied
    I think this was said before but most of the so called TMA were really developed less than 100 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Omega Supreme
    replied

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X