Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by BJMills View Post
      Honestly, if you agreed with just about anything he said you really need to spend a few months in a boxing gym. Or at least a good few weeks just to get the stupid beaten out of you.
      I disagree. I suppose I should say "I support parts of what he was saying at first." He was a bit right about several things.... just not completely right about them. He's right that kata aren't useless and aren't just dances. He's right that they teach mechanics and coordination.... albeit not with force IMO. Personally, I think they excel for teaching those just starting, to learn basic techniques and footwork of the system and later on to self-correct structure. Maybe other things I don't know yet.
      He's right that boxers typically don't practice enough bareknuckle bag work. Boxer's fracture, anyone?
      I don't remember if he said anything else that made sense or not.

Maybe I was pleasantly surprised and that put me off guard.... But I still was expecting more stupidity than I saw, even including the classic "no rules" card and especially the implied death match challenges in the comments.

And, for the record, I spar plenty. Even get hit sometimes, too, but probably not enough. Also for the record.... yes, I have lost on multiple occasions to very good... OK, even mediocre... boxers in boxing-style matches.

Comment

Cheers WRabbit. That was interesting. As an aside, I can also recite that as a voice over to every Mortal Kombat victory.

My son will never forgive you.

Comment

Originally posted by Cake of Doom View Post
          Unless he's got a black belt (or equivalent) in Wang Chung, he ain't worth the time.

Wang Chung > Mouth Boxing

Everybody have fun tonight.

Comment

I made a major mistake, folks.

It's not REJUVENATION OF THE FULFILLED CRANE, it's literally, ngaw hok cham ha, HUNGRY CRANE SEARCHES FOR SHRIMP, where you reach down, and try to mash or pluck someone's eyeball.

Comment

I was about to chin this guy off as another chump who cannot grasp reason or logic until I reached the part about killing a bull with bare hands. Then then some part about a dude not eating for seven days and then killing a tiger. That is so fucking street it occurred in a prison camp which is basically the street with extra barbed wire.

I think this guy's onto something.

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
                Hey I know the entire Tiger Crane form too. I should just start calling myself "Grandmaster", why not.

Grandmaster Wood Rabbit...I like the sound of that!

Anybody interested in a real honest critique/breakdown of the "grandmaster"'s 108+ movement TIGER CRANE DOUBLE PATTERN FIST??? lol

Seriously though...my Tang Fong form (in terms of routine) is mostly the same as his. Mostly. I can actually finish it without gassing. IMHO he's a little too Tiger and not enough Crane.

Definitely not a Tang Fong version, probably Lam family. But definitely it's definitely a Hung ga-ish version.

You don't get to see too many modern videos of people doing the whole thing online start to finish...obviously a really long form and endurance challenge, to say the least. From his breathing it sounds like he knows the routine, but isn't fully conditioned for it.

So either he learned it a long time ago and hasn't kept it up, or he just learned it, and hasn't even mastered it.

For comparison, here is someone who actually mastered the TIGER CRANE PAIRED FIST (the late, great Alexander Fu Sheng of Shaw Brothers fame)

What do you think of this fellow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VQW...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by FinalLegion View Post
                  That's Chiu Chi Ling, the Hung ga guy from Kung Fu Hustle and a Lam family grandmaster. He's done a lot of kung fu movies, probably one of the strongest men in kung fu cinema history.

He runs a global Hung ga association.

His form is almost the same format as the "American Shaolin" but like Fu Sheng he can actually start and end this thing invigorated, but in full control (especially of your breathing).

It's not easy.
                  Last edited by W. Rabbit; 8/23/2015 1:13pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by Kovacs View Post

I think this guy's onto something.
                    You mean 'on medication'?

I think not.... or they need to increase the dose.

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
                      That's Chiu Chi Ling, the Hung ga guy from Kung Fu Hustle and a Lam family grandmaster. He's done a lot of kung fu movies, probably one of the strongest men in kung fu cinema history.

He runs a global Hung ga association.

His form is almost the same format as the "American Shaolin" but like Fu Sheng he can actually start and end this thing invigorated, but in full control (especially of your breathing).

It's not easy.

I'm tired just watching the amount of tension he is holding in his body for the majority of that form.

Comment

That video of Chiu Chi Ling is from this old documentary:

Comment

Long story short: If you think you can land a finger strike in someone's eye, but you suck so much that you can't land a punch on someone's face in a kickboxing or MMA match, you are delusional and should not be teaching martial arts.

Comment

Originally posted by Ke?poFist View Post
                            Long story short: If you think you can land a finger strike in someone's eye, but you suck so much that you can't land a punch on someone's face in a kickboxing or MMA match, you are delusional and should not be teaching martial arts.
                            Does he actually teach or has he ever competed?

This is the part I'll never get, how you can be a "grand master" and have practically no students who call you that. If you have a few...nope still not a "grand master" of anything. And of course the more delusional students you have calling you "Grandmaster" ala Dillman, eventually you tip the absurdity scale and it becomes blatantly obvious even to laypeople.
                            Last edited by W. Rabbit; 8/24/2015 7:10pm, .

Comment

The Lam family version HUNGRY CRANE SEARCHES FOR SHRIMP.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X