TMA b*tchfest on fb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TMA b*tchfest on fb

long story short, American Sholin guy calls out every sports martial artist ever and issued an open challenge. Anyone else see this? Know his back story? Or why he's so pissed? He makes a valid point or two but goes off the deep end. Not sure how to get the video outside of facebook.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00841036640995

So, I couldn't be bothered after the first 30 seconds or so, it's just the same stupid rant that seems to pop up every few years out of a different mouth. Is the dude going to fight somebody or what?

Comment

I stopped listening at the three minute mark. I couldn't take anymore. He tries to call out people into MMA for having all the wrong ideas about TMAs yet he's guilty of the same thing when it comes to MMA.

I'm guessing he's pissed off because people are seeing that MMA training is actually more beneficial to them in the real world than learning how to attack with Tiger Claws and Crane Fists.
      Last edited by FinalLegion; 8/20/2015 9:33pm, . Reason: I Grammar Nazi'd myself.

Comment

So he posted this 4 months ago and no subsequent death match/gong as to back up his diatribe. How surprisingly original...

Edit:
        LOL!

Last edited by cualltaigh; 8/20/2015 10:11pm, .

Comment

I actually agree with almost the entire first half of what he says. Minus the "hand fitting the body thing" to some extent.... I know from experience it's nearly impossible to hit precision points with "phoenix eye" and that sort of strike unless you're suckerpunching somebody.
          In which case you'll find a hook works just fine.
          Also if you've got a partner you're probably better off doing drills or sparring than memorizing your fourteenth advanced kata/poomse, but basic forms are probably great for teaching basic footwork to beginners as well as the timing of strikes in comparison to stepping. I'm sure I'll be corrected forthwith.
          Y'all may've forgotten how fighting-uncoordinated noobs can be, but I haven't as those days aren't too long behind me.
          Overall, a little self-righteous and not perfectly fair but not the bitchiest thing I've seen. We've probably all heard much worse from others. I don't often listen to MMAers talk, just watch them fight, which they admittedly do more of than anybody else.

Comment

Originally posted by jspeedy View Post
            long story short, American Sholin guy calls out every sports martial artist ever and issued an open challenge. Anyone else see this? Know his back story? Or why he's so pissed? He makes a valid point or two but goes off the deep end. Not sure how to get the video outside of facebook.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00841036640995
            I just got a streetrection watching that.

Comment

Unless he's got a black belt (or equivalent) in Wang Chung, he ain't worth the time.

Comment

Originally posted by MP9 View Post
                I actually agree with almost the entire first half of what he says. Minus the "hand fitting the body thing" to some extent.... I know from experience it's nearly impossible to hit precision points with "phoenix eye" and that sort of strike unless you're suckerpunching somebody.
                In which case you'll find a hook works just fine.
                Also if you've got a partner you're probably better off doing drills or sparring than memorizing your fourteenth advanced kata/poomse, but basic forms are probably great for teaching basic footwork to beginners as well as the timing of strikes in comparison to stepping. I'm sure I'll be corrected forthwith.
                Y'all may've forgotten how fighting-uncoordinated noobs can be, but I haven't as those days aren't too long behind me.
                Overall, a little self-righteous and not perfectly fair but not the bitchiest thing I've seen. We've probably all heard much worse from others. I don't often listen to MMAers talk, just watch them fight, which they admittedly do more of than anybody else.

Honestly, if you agreed with just about anything he said you really need to spend a few months in a boxing gym. Or at least a good few weeks just to get the stupid beaten out of you.

Comment

Another attention whore, plain and simple. Perhaps a bit psychotic as well...

Comment

Facebook is absolutely full of TMA bitchfests. Facebook martial arts groups are so ten years ago I thought I was on Myspace.

Comment

It would have been better if he'd have sat there in jeans, with an open shirt, and called everyone mouth-boxers every five seconds throughout the whole video.

Comment

Originally posted by cualltaigh View Post
                        Hey I know the entire Tiger Crane form too. I should just start calling myself "Grandmaster", why not.

Grandmaster Wood Rabbit...I like the sound of that!

Anybody interested in a real honest critique/breakdown of the "grandmaster"'s 108+ movement TIGER CRANE DOUBLE PATTERN FIST??? lol

Seriously though...my Tang Fong form (in terms of routine) is mostly the same as his. Mostly. I can actually finish it without gassing. IMHO he's a little too Tiger and not enough Crane.

Definitely not a Tang Fong version, probably Lam family. But definitely it's definitely a Hung ga-ish version.

You don't get to see too many modern videos of people doing the whole thing online start to finish...obviously a really long form and endurance challenge, to say the least. From his breathing it sounds like he knows the routine, but isn't fully conditioned for it.

So either he learned it a long time ago and hasn't kept it up, or he just learned it, and hasn't even mastered it.

For comparison, here is someone who actually mastered the TIGER CRANE PAIRED FIST (the late, great Alexander Fu Sheng of Shaw Brothers fame)

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 8/21/2015 1:15pm, .

Comment

I'm interested.

Comment

I like this guy.
                            I've missed this crap and hope we get to see a fight at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Cake of Doom View Post
                              I'm interested.
                              Starting with the dog kissing the camera..

There are several of stages to what "Grandmaster" is doing. It appears to be a Hung Ga form, the same one Wong Fei Hung concocted using different pieces of his training (Village Hung Ga, Shaolin Five Animal, Iron Shirt, Five Element Fist, Seven Star Fist, Taoist Eight Drunken Immortals, etc).

There is a beginning part where the Crane is static (ie standing). But his feet are together, so he skipped some things and his early stance is not the real Southern Chinese Crane or "adduction" stances that drop some weight onto the interior thighs, a type of "internal" training). That is "iron groin" type training, the kind of qigong the Shaolin monks still use to do all that crazy testicle hanging tricks. Done improperly, you can hurt yourself, which may explain why he doesn't do it (Lam Sai Wing would only teach that method to advanced students).

Then the Tiger opens up (this is when he opens his legs up into the horse stance etc), but is still static. But by now he's already sort of used too much energy and not enough slow, dynamic tension (he's going too fast and hard basically), and this is a mistake...it sabotages the other 80% remaining to do.

His first straight kicks start Crane movements in the diagonal directions, and repeat some of what was done static previously, while also introducing some open handed Snake techniques. He's still going too fast, and is getting tired. He is rushing the form now because he wants to finish fast.

His third kick and movement towards the camera starts a sequence called the THOUSAND CHARACTER FIST, which is a fancy name for a combination of techniques practiced together sort of like this:

Strike, push, grab, pull, throw/strike, break/pull, push, break/pull, strike, clinch, finished off by a flurry of uppercuts and a "through the sleeve" body jab.

That's done twice, in one direction then in reverse, and finished off by CLOSING THE IRON GATE, a kick catching and-throw technique (you see this used a lot in San Shou).

Typically at this point in the form you take one of those proper zen-breath moments...he doesn't appear to do that. It's usually important before beginning...

..the TEN TIGERS, which is exactly what it sounds like ten Tiger style movements involving grabbing/clawing and pulling and striking with the heel of the palm. These are grappling movements involving heavy use of the legs, so if you don't have gas by this point...you're done.

Next is the moving Crane section (1:20), which includes the famous southern Fujian "White Crane Stands on One Leg" a feint+straight kick from The Karate Kid and a few UFC KO. Simple concept, really: hands (wings) fly up, but foot goes through. Real cranes actually fight like this.

Also contains the eye-gouging/plucking technique from Kill Bill...because of how white cranes catch and eat shrimp with their beaks, this technique is called REJUVENATION OF THE FULFILLED CRANE. It's targeted at prone targets, which is really gruesome when you think about it. This is a technique for maiming and disabling downed combatants.

Next some DRUNKEN BOXING techniques at 1:30, followed by the FIVE ELEMENT FIST, which is a combination of 5 different types of closed fist strike (underhand, underhand, overhand, uppercut, sideways). He's really gassing now, so he's just flying through this without a lot of control...these strikes should flow look clean and sharp in execution.

That leads into the ending sequence, which involves some sweeps, arm drags/breaks, then a series of what I would call "hail mary" strikes and the DOUBLE BUTTERFLY PALM techniques which are open handed body strikes that target the ribs.

Finally we SHOULD have seen the MO YING GERK or "No Shadow Kick", another famous Southern-style feint+kick. Similar to the White Crane on One Leg, but this one is done with only one hand and the opposite foot.

But wait...he seems to skip the NO SHADOW KICK. Either he doesn't know it, or he was just too gassed at the end to remember it.

I think he calls this "kata" in the followup video...the proper Canto for this is "kuen faat" or "fist set".
                              Last edited by W. Rabbit; 8/21/2015 2:28pm, .

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X