noob here, critique appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

noob here, critique appreciated

Ok so I'm looking at how to make myself a better fighter. I'm training Goju Ryu Karate currently and BJJ, but I'm wondering about what I where I will get my wrestling and throwing mostly. I know Goju Ryu incorporates throws and grappling later, and BJJ has a ground fighting game as well. I'm just wondering if training these two will mean I'll have a stand up and floor game, but not much of a transition between the two.

How often are you sparring in Goju-Ryu and under what rule set? How many strict BJJ classes are you doing at your Goju-Ryu school? How often do you roll?

If your BJJ classes don't include takedowns then you are only learning half the art.

Comment

Originally posted by <plasma> View Post
      How often are you sparring in Goju-Ryu and under what rule set? How many strict BJJ classes are you doing at your Goju-Ryu school? How often do you roll?

If your BJJ classes don't include takedowns then you are only learning half the art.
      Only very recently started both, the sparring is monthly-bi weekly usually, the BJJ they want me to learn escapes first since Im very basic. Theres 2 BJJ's a week, moving on to other parts soon hopefully. Theres also options for one to ones, so I could go with that too

Comment

Originally posted by kimjonghng View Post
        Only very recently started both, the sparring is monthly-bi weekly usually, the BJJ they want me to learn escapes first since Im very basic. Theres 2 BJJ's a week, moving on to other parts soon hopefully. Theres also options for one to ones, so I could go with that too
        What the rules of your monthly sparring?

Comment

What are your goals for "fighting"?
          Or better yet what are your actual concerns?
          Also your going to need to spar a lot more often than 2x a month in order to really pick up anything "fight" worthy.

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
            What are your goals for "fighting"?
            Or better yet what are your actual concerns?
            Also your going to need to spar a lot more often than 2x a month in order to really pick up anything "fight" worthy.

I was trying to slow-roll to get there. But at the end of the day if you aren't rolling in your BJJ class and only sparring 2x a month for striking you will never be a good fighter. It's the main reason the Bujinkan is in such a terrible state.

Comment

I was trying to slow-roll to get there. But at the end of the day if you aren't rolling in your BJJ class and only sparring 2x a month for striking you will never be a good fighter. It's the main reason the Bujinkan is in such a terrible state.
              I agree with this but I would add the caveat that some BJJ schools have the beginners learn some foundation for a few weeks before rolling. If everyone else is rolling and you're the new guy drilling I wouldn't worry about it. If rolling isn't part of what happens in every training session that would be a little odd, and kind of a red flag in my book.

Comment

Have you considered wrestling to um.. Get your wrestling and throwing?

Comment

Originally posted by gregaquaman View Post
                  Have you considered wrestling to um.. Get your wrestling and throwing?
                  Living in a mostly retirement area makes me a little short on what's available in the area.

Comment

I was trying to slow-roll to get there.

But back to the original question.
                    Want to transition between stand up and the ground
                    let me introduce you to this thing we like to call
                    Judo

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                    X