No announcement yet.

Ruben Alvarez de-belts fake BJJ BB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man it would be funny as hell if he filed a police report for...

Having his Black Belt stolen

Comment

Originally posted by 3moose1 View Post
      everyone switching names, confusing motherfuckers.

Who remember's the question? I fucking loved that guy.
      Meant to upvote this.

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
        Man it would be funny as hell if he filed a police report for...

Having his Black Belt stolen
        Heh heh heh, yeah, I can only imagine the reactions.

To make my point, I guess I should be clear. Tell the guy he can train if he puts on a white belt, signs the wiaviers, etc, whatever, but has to take off the black belt.

That is what I would do is a random member of the public showed up with a hinky blackbelt/judo history. Can't prove it (and anybody legit would be able to), wear white until you can. Or leave...

Comment

Originally posted by cualltaigh View Post
          Ruben Alvarez posted this video to JiuJitsu times of him outing (and de-belting) a fake BJJ Black Belt that came to his Black House Miami Beach gym to train. Enjoy.
          Doing god's work.

Comment

I may be getting soft in my old age, but the guy was already humiliated no need to further drag it out. A simple, "look dude, everyone in here know's you're not a blackbelt. Come back tomorrow with a white belt on and we'll start working towards it, Faggot"

Now the dude isn't going to come back, but try this shit at another gym. Do you really feel like such a big man now, Ruben Alvarez? Big, macho tough guy? You verbally scolded a middle aged man who clearly was in the midst of a mid life crisis. I'm assuming you just finished beating him in the jiu jitsu sense, cut the dude some slack and build him back up. You know, like an instructor would do.

Also, bullshit. You didn't break your leg for your blackbelt. You may have broken it on the way to you're blackbelt, but you didn't break it, and your instructor was like, "OH FUCK YEAH GIVE THIS DUDE A BLACK BELT"

Shit, if that was the case I'd be a freakin blackbelt by now anyway.
            Why should he have given slack to someone who falsely represented himself as having earned one of the most difficult black belts to get within the martial arts? If you encountered some middle aged guy perpetrating some Stolen Valor...would you cut him some slack?

Everything Alvarez was to break the guy down, to break him of the bullshit the guy was living. Notice that Alvarez told the guy to go home, think about he did...and then come back, only come back at your true skill level. He broke the guy down so that he could build him back up.

If that guy is even halfway smart than he'll understand that trying to cheat your way into something that you can only get through hard work is always going to backfire. If he doesn't learn that and decides to try this someplace else than he deserves whatever humiliation he receives.

Comment

''GIVE ME MY $12''!

Also, Jordan, what was your bullshido name circa 2008/2009?
              And the answer to that remains with us old timers. However, some basic investigation should give you your answer.

Comment

Originally posted by FinalLegion View Post
                Why should he have given slack to someone who falsely represented himself as having earned one of the most difficult black belts to get within the martial arts? If you encountered some middle aged guy perpetrating some Stolen Valor...would you cut him some slack?

Everything Alvarez was to break the guy down, to break him of the bullshit the guy was living. Notice that Alvarez told the guy to go home, think about he did...and then come back, only come back at your true skill level. He broke the guy down so that he could build him back up.

If that guy is even halfway smart than he'll understand that trying to cheat your way into something that you can only get through hard work is always going to backfire. If he doesn't learn that and decides to try this someplace else than he deserves whatever humiliation he receives.
                I'm on this new kick called, ''not giving a shit''. I started it because being 23 and being talked to about your blood pressure just isn't fun.

If dudes are depressed enough to lie about shit, go right the fuck ahead. Claim to be a recon airborne ranger master captain sergeant all you want. Saying it doesn't make it true.

Comment

This whole situation is just absurd to me. I mean, it would've made some degree of sense if he was lying to impress people on dates, or if he was a TKD teacher looking to pad his resume or whatever. I just don't see what he was hoping would happen if he showed up at a legit BJJ gym wearing something which signifies a skill level he clearly isn't at. Maybe he was hoping to impress some ignorant white belt or something, I don't know. It just seems counterproductive, as a fake, to facilitate side-by-side comparison with the real thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hadzu View Post
                    This whole situation is just absurd to me. I mean, it would've made some degree of sense if he was lying to impress people on dates, or if he was a TKD teacher looking to pad his resume or whatever. I just don't see what he was hoping would happen if he showed up at a legit BJJ gym wearing something which signifies a skill level he clearly isn't at. Maybe he was hoping to impress some ignorant white belt or something, I don't know. It just seems counterproductive, as a fake, to facilitate side-by-side comparison with the real thing.
                    You be surprised at how many people look at BJJ and go Oh well that shit isn't that hard you just wrap your legs around the guy and wrestle with them. He probably thought he could fake it till he made it sort of thing.
                    You are at the gym how often have you seen the brand new guy right of the street come in and act like he is going to own the place for what ever reason only to get his ass handed to him by someone with like 6 months of experience thats 1/2 his size?
                    A lot of people don't understand how technical BJJ is.

Comment

Originally posted by BJMills View Post
                      Wrestling shoes on the mat are fairly common where I train. Nobody really likes to wear them but every now and then- when someone is nursing a broken toe or something of that nature- they will wear them to keep rolling until the injury heals.

That being said I wouldn't go to a new gym where people don't know me and where shoes. I'd either tape or wait until the injury heals.
                      I have a growing problem with a distorted ankle joint on my left foot, coming from bad flat feet, a shorter left leg, and years of jogging and training over inadequate surfaces. I have to wear an orthopedic insert sole inside my shoe to walk without much pain. But when I practice on the mats, I do it barefoot, and at the end of training my ankle is swollen like a grapefruit and hurting like hell. But no one at the karate/bjj/mma shools here uses any kind of shoe. I think only kung fu people use footwear here. When I train at my backyard I use sneakers with the insert and I can almost do most of the stuff decently. But I do not want to disrespect the mat at the dojo.
                      What kind of shoe could work at the mat?

Comment

Ruben Alvarez de-belts fake BJJ BB

Wrestling shoes are made for mats, you could talk to your instructor.

Have you tried an ankle brace? Seen a podiatrist?

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
                          You be surprised at how many people look at BJJ and go Oh well that shit isn't that hard you just wrap your legs around the guy and wrestle with them. He probably thought he could fake it till he made it sort of thing.
                          You are at the gym how often have you seen the brand new guy right of the street come in and act like he is going to own the place for what ever reason only to get his ass handed to him by someone with like 6 months of experience thats 1/2 his size?
                          A lot of people don't understand how technical BJJ is.
                          A lot of people think they can just watch stuff off movies, hit a bag somewhere and they are martial artists.

Back in 1985 or so, I was training with a bunch of guys at this re-purposed roller rink, (we were supposed to be the local branch of the national karate team, ah!), and some young guy just walks in and says that he has martial arts training and wants to get recognized as a black belt or sumthin'. Now, half the people training there were no good bums and thugs (they scared the crap out of me sometimes), so instead of just asking for his credentials rationally, they offered him to spar to prove his level. He wanted to spar a black belt but he was told to spar an orange belt first. Less than a minute later he was lying on his back on a puddle of his blood, nursing a broken nose. He was given a rag to hold against his face and told to f**k off. He did.

So I do not see what Alvarez did as that big a deal.

Comment

Wrestling shoes are made for mats, you could talk to your instructor.
                            Have you tried an ankle brace? Seen a podiatrist?
                            The doctor was the one who ordered the orthopedic insert. He told me to not go barefoot anymore. But then, a decade ago, when I got diagnosed with three crushed discs in my backbone I was told to never do martial arts again, yet I am not good at that listening to stuff thing.
                            I have tried a basic elastic fabric ankle brace without it being any help. No fancy ones.

Comment

I'm on this new kick called, ''not giving a shit''. I started it because being 23 and being talked to about your blood pressure just isn't fun.

If dudes are depressed enough to lie about shit, go right the fuck ahead. Claim to be a recon airborne ranger master captain sergeant all you want. Saying it doesn't make it true.
                              Who says that depression has to be the motivating factor?

You don't have to give yourself a coronary to expose someone. It is possible, you know, to confront a fraud and expose them as such in a calm manner.

Saying something may not make it true but if it's seen as true by someone who simply doesn't better than I'd say we've done more harm by not giving a shit rather than giving a shit.

Comment

I would love to take that stolen property report.

"Deputy, my black belt was stolen"

"Ok. First things first, what's your lineage?"

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X