Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from a noob, also advice please

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Hello from a noob, also advice please

    Firstly I apologise if this is the wrong forum

    I am someone who has no martial arts training but is interested in learning an art primarily for self defence and perhaps to get fitter. I have read a few threads on this site and others, and I see many cross training in one striking art and one grappling art. I would like to start with a grappling art either BJJ or Judo, which do you think it would be better off with? I notice there are a couple if judo and BJJ places in my city that both have no gi classes.
    Also I would like to ask more of your opinions on Krav Maga. I noticed that it doesn't seem to be highly regarded here, but let me ask, is it considered to be no good at all ever, or are there some places that actually teach it effectively? I appreciate all opinions I can get.

    #2
    Originally posted by Myron Mumbles View Post
    Firstly I apologise if this is the wrong forum

    I am someone who has no martial arts training but is interested in learning an art primarily for self defence and perhaps to get fitter. I have read a few threads on this site and others, and I see many cross training in one striking art and one grappling art. I would like to start with a grappling art either BJJ or Judo, which do you think it would be better off with? I notice there are a couple if judo and BJJ places in my city that both have no gi classes.
    Either. Most places offer a trial class/week. Find a school that enjoy the instruction and the class vibe.

    Originally posted by Myron Mumbles View Post
    Also I would like to ask more of your opinions on Krav Maga. I noticed that it doesn't seem to be highly regarded here, but let me ask, is it considered to be no good at all ever, or are there some places that actually teach it effectively? I appreciate all opinions I can get.
    Most Krav Maga is trained like TMA with static defense drills with no resistance. Just replace the Sword with a Pistol. The chances of finding "good Krav Maga" is so difficult it's not worth trying to find.

    Comment


      #3
      Ok, thank you for the tip. With jiu Jitsu would I be better taking gracie jiu jitsu? As it apparently focuses on the self defence aspect as opposed to the sport, or so I'm told. Also with judo are there different types? I've seen the phrases 'kodokan judo' thrown around sometimes, is that different to regular judo?

      Comment


        #4
        How's your budget? Judo is cheap, BJJ generally expensive.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Myron Mumbles View Post
          Firstly I apologise if this is the wrong forum

          I am someone who has no martial arts training but is interested in learning an art primarily for self defence and perhaps to get fitter. I have read a few threads on this site and others, and I see many cross training in one striking art and one grappling art. I would like to start with a grappling art either BJJ or Judo, which do you think it would be better off with? I notice there are a couple if judo and BJJ places in my city that both have no gi classes.
          Just to reinforce what plasma said
          Between Judo and BJJ?
          Do which ever one you enjoy more.
          The only way to learn is to show up, and you are 1000 times more likely to show up if you you enjoy the environment the coach and the people you are working out with.

          Originally posted by Myron Mumbles View Post
          Also I would like to ask more of your opinions on Krav Maga. I noticed that it doesn't seem to be highly regarded here, but let me ask, is it considered to be no good at all ever, or are there some places that actually teach it effectively? I appreciate all opinions I can get.
          I wouldn't wast my time with it if you have Judo, BJJ, SAMBO, Boxing, Kick Boxing, MMA, FMA, Muay Thai, or wrestling available to you hell even if you didn't I am not sure if I would waste my time with it.
          It comes down to aliveness

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by NeilG View Post
            How's your budget? Judo is cheap, BJJ generally expensive.
            Blargh tell me about it. Half the reason I'm doing Judo and Kyokushin this summer is the fact that the local BJJ gym is insanely expensive.

            Comment


              #7
              If you're lucky enough to be near a group like the Dog Brothers, they offer MMA-esque training with and without weapons (http://dogbrothers.com/affiliates/). You might be able to get what you want between something like the seminars offered by a group called Shivworks (http://shivworks.com/) and regular training elsewhere as well.

              Comment


                #8
                Boxing is usually pretty cheap too and pretty good for fitness and self defence.

                Nothing says "you cant have my wallet" like a punch in the face.

                Comment


                  #9
                  I'll tell you what isn't going to help your predicament. Sitting here on the internet not doing a goddamn thing.

                  Try out a school. Or every fucking school in a 10 mile radius. Then, ask yourself which one you're realistically going to attend regularly?

                  When you've answered that, there is your answer champosaurus rex.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Myron Mumbles View Post
                    Ok, thank you for the tip. With jiu Jitsu would I be better taking gracie jiu jitsu? As it apparently focuses on the self defence aspect as opposed to the sport, or so I'm told.
                    Honestly its a preference thing. I personally hate being in the Gracie environment its to stuffy with way to much rigmarole.
                    Don't get to hung up on the whole Self Defense vs Sport thing.
                    Do what you enjoy. Showing up is what will make you better.
                    Also when you say Self Defense what exactly do you mean?


                    Originally posted by Myron Mumbles View Post
                    Also with judo are there different types? I've seen the phrases 'kodokan judo' thrown around sometimes, is that different to regular judo?
                    Yes and No they are all still judo and use the same techniques and learning methodology the nuances don't really matter your not likely to have a choice between them anyways.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      get in a fucking BJJ or Judo class and quit being pedantic. find a combat sport school near you, with an environment that works for you, and put your time into it. you aren't good enough yet for the differences to matter.

                      also, welcome to bullshido.

                      Comment

                      Collapse

                      Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                      Working...
                      X