Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Dojos in Yokosuka, Japan??

Hey All,

Relatively new to Yokosuka, Japan since I'm stationed here till April 2017. In the meantime, I'd love to engage in serious martial art instruction but I'm wary of what's legit and what's not around town.

I'm interested in actual combat training which is certifiably effective in any form of fight. MMA, Brazilian Jujitsu, Jeet Kune Do, and anything along those arts.

The dojo I was primarily interested in was Genbukan Tokyo Shibu in Shibuya, Japan since I've practiced Ninjutsu/Taijutsu for 5 years; seeing how it's pretty far from me and how I was never able to reach anybody for further information after each attempt, I became discouraged.

I'm willing to travel as far as Yokohama if it'll be worth my while.

Any and all experienced help regarding this matter needed and greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :)

I've never been to Japan but that sounds like an awesome opportunity!

Have a awesome Japan martial arts training time!! : -)

Comment

Originally posted by Polarisphere View Post
      Hey All,

Relatively new to Yokosuka, Japan since I'm stationed here till April 2017. In the meantime, I'd love to engage in serious martial art instruction but I'm wary of what's legit and what's not around town.

I'm interested in actual combat training which is certifiably effective in any form of fight. MMA, Brazilian Jujitsu, Jeet Kune Do, and anything along those arts.
      i have never lived in japan but i have trained there and would suggest that you seek out a shooto gym or bjj school, as those are mostly legit. if you can find adult judo for beginners that would be great as well, and even better if you can convince your local police judo dojo to use you as a practice dummy (quite possibly the most "street" training in japan from what i hear.) the cops will probably not want to bother with you unless you have something they want (like wrestling experience.) your taijutsu background isn't going to interest them at all.

The dojo I was primarily interested in was Genbukan Tokyo Shibu in Shibuya, Japan since I've practiced Ninjutsu/Taijutsu for 5 years; seeing how it's pretty far from me and how I was never able to reach anybody for further information after each attempt, I became discouraged.
      well the general opinion of ninjutsu/taijutsu is that is worthless, so the fact that you were unable to reach anybody there would be considered lucky by most members here.

i'm shocked that they were hard to reach as it seems most of their money comes from visiting westerners.

Comment

I totally agree on the shooto or BJJ... I'd probably go for shooto first just because, hey you're in Japan.

On a side note, wasn't Shoto Tenamura a cop who trained other cops? Or is that just propaganda?

Comment

Address:大滝町1-27日吉ビル3F
          Tel:(046)827-0482

Kyokushin dojo.

There's a number of Kyokushin dojos in the area, I believe. Pick one, in Japan they are likely to be all good.

Comment

http://www.kyokushin4life.com/forum/...jo-in-yokosuka

here you go, plenty of options. If you want alive, full contact stand-up training (just let go of the ninja stuff now, trust me) then go for Kyokushin. It's a knockdown style of martial art, no pads.

Comment

There are a number of Judo dojo in your area:
              http://nagasawabudoukan.com/?page_id=7
              http://www007.upp.so-net.ne.jp/ookusujudo/sub2.html
              The trick with Judo dojo is that gobs of them are just for children; finding one for adults can be trickier, but city gymnasiums are usually a good bet.
              I also found this BJJ school:
              http://www.hirobjj.com/access.html

You say you're interested in ninjutsu; why is that? If you just like hanging out and being ninja-ey, then that's probably the best way to do so. But if what you're really interested in is learning some stripe of authentic pre-modern Japanese martial arts, there are a few groups in the area.

Comment

DARPAchief

What groups would those be and where are they located? Details please! :)

I simply love the traditional art of Ninpo/Ninjutsu. May not be as practical self defense wise as BJJ, Shooto, or MMA, but martial arts is more than self defense to me. I really enjoyed the mental and philosophical rewards of traditionally trained martial arts.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                X