What's Your Take On This?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BKR View Post
    You didn't pee in my cheerios. You might consider that more is going on in my life than Bullshido, so I was a bit worried about another situation. Fortunately it resolved, although I had a hard time sleeping the night before the issue came to a head.
    I was curious, I didn't take anything personally, and I'm glad things worked out for you.

I guess I'm a bit surprised that a black belt judoka in a generally well informed place like Canada doesn't know the genesis of the current leg-grab etc. IJF competition rules.
    Well here's another surprise for you: I'm not a blackbelt. I was collecting points for my shodan when I injured myself three years ago and haven't done tachi waza since. I've done the nage no kata for blackbelt twice now, as an uke. I'm a pretty good uke, apparently. Was going to be three times before my knee went.

Thanks for taking the time to explain the provenance of the leg grab rules again. I get how it came about, but I'd thought it was initiated by Japanese traditionalists running the IJF. It's an amateur sport federation, I guess the directorship is elected and multinational then?

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
      They are aggressive, because they're trained to be, and at 250 lbs which is just 15 or so above my weight, wrestlers can be bulldozers, they can sub you before you know what's happening unless you're prepared to receive them properly.

That aggression is exactly what works to your advantage if you train a "soft within hard" martial art...judo, shuai jiao, BJJ, Hung ga all have those elements, designed to take an aggressive grappling opponent's attack, and use/redirect it to your advantage.

In judo or BJJ there is a whole range of elements (even at low belts...), in Hung ga it's a bit simpler..twelve bridging methods define how to react when facing an aggressor relying on brute strength, to receive/bridge their attack, and redirect/counter in one move. A lot of the Hung ga leg and stance and footwork is eventually combined to do basic things like grapple and sprawl, so it's a great style for fighting other wrestlers/grapplers.

Many people think of Hung ga as just a striking art...far, far from it.
      Wrestlers are strong. They do not rely on brute strength. It's just another tool in the toolbox. You are making weird, dumb generalizations.

BTW, I don't know why everyone else is picking on you, but posts like these are why I now am.

Comment

Originally posted by Tramirezmma View Post
        I don't know why everyone else is picking on you, but posts like these are why I now am.
        You're correct on the major point, but wabbit isn't being picked on despite his playing victim.
        Wabbit continuously makes stupid posts on a site that encourages skepticism, and he's a self described beginner.
        He just needs to stfu and learn this lesson.
        Of course, I'm "ignored" so he'll never see this...

http://theconversation.com/no-youre-...r-opinion-9978

Comment

Originally posted by ChenPengFi View Post
          You're correct on the major point, but wabbit isn't being picked on despite his playing victim.
          Wabbit continuously makes stupid posts on a site that encourages skepticism, and he's a self described beginner.
          He just needs to stfu and learn this lesson.
          Of course, I'm "ignored" so he'll never see this...

http://theconversation.com/no-youre-...r-opinion-9978
          I HATE it when people try to have an opinion regarding matters of fact. You're (not you, the general you) not entitled to beliefs that are factually incorrect. People are supposed to CHANGE THEIR MINDS WHEN SHOWN THEY'RE WRONG!!! Grr...

My best friend is schizophrenic, and I get so exhausted trying to shine logic on his weird political and spiritual views. How do you convince someone of anything once they've convinced themselves remote viewing is a real thing?

Comment

Originally posted by The Cap View Post
            I was curious, I didn't take anything personally, and I'm glad things worked out for you.

Well here's another surprise for you: I'm not a blackbelt. I was collecting points for my shodan when I injured myself three years ago and haven't done tachi waza since. I've done the nage no kata for blackbelt twice now, as an uke. I'm a pretty good uke, apparently. Was going to be three times before my knee went.

Thanks for taking the time to explain the provenance of the leg grab rules again. I get how it came about, but I'd thought it was initiated by Japanese traditionalists running the IJF. It's an amateur sport federation, I guess the directorship is elected and multinational then?
            OK, so you are a shodan in waiting. Close enough...

The IJF is....not an egalitarian, democratic institution. It is not an amateur sport federation, it's a sports-industry business, and is essentially profit driven. Like soccer, etc., but on a bit smaller scale...so far.

The IJF was at one time much more of what you think it is, and WAS run by the Japanese, more or less. But not anymore.

Another bit of info, the Kodokan is a private dojo that has no say whatsoever in what happens in the IJF.

Comment

The IJF is....not an egalitarian, democratic institution. It is not an amateur sport federation, it's a sports-industry business, and is essentially profit driven. Like soccer, etc., but on a bit smaller scale...so far.

The IJF was at one time much more of what you think it is, and WAS run by the Japanese, more or less. But not anymore.
              Greed and corruption seem to be unfortunately endemic of amateur sport federations. Even without corruption, I believe that putting profits above the good of the sport to be a negative focus for an organization like the IJF.

To be included in the olympics, a sport needs an international federation that has the positive growth of the game as a focus. This should promote all the benefits of sports and spread them to people who otherwise couldn't access them, but instead we have an incredibly corrupt IOC and similar corruption running rampant in big federations. I hope judo can be protected from this.

Another bit of info, the Kodokan is a private dojo that has no say whatsoever in what happens in the IJF.
              This makes sense now, as I'd heard that the Kodokan issued its own belts and such.

OK, so you are a shodan in waiting. Close enough...
              Haha, thanks, you're giving me hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Tramirezmma View Post

My best friend is schizophrenic, and I get so exhausted trying to shine logic on his weird political and spiritual views. How do you convince someone of anything once they've convinced themselves remote viewing is a real thing?

You're asking this about a schizophrenic?

Comment

I did judo again last night. went in to the north school sine I was out in the area and I ended up staying fro striking sparring, advanced Bjj rolling and 2 judo classes back to back. My break falling is awful lol.

I crushed my nuts the first few falls off of the hip toss. It turns out I was doing my harai goshi wrong also.

I got to play abit at the end using my wrestling against pure judo and I noted that the greco style back arch stuff worked well against judo as it's very hard to turtle after one. I usually ended up in kesa.

Doing some ground work with a green belt I definitely noted alot of retreating to turtle. It was pretty easy to position to the back but I had to work a bit for seatbelt and hooks. Tight waist and chop and 2 on one bar rides worked well.

I think wrestling and judo are pretty similar, but just have different focuses, the way they apply leverage is pretty similar imo. Our kuzushi is suually a fake, defended shot reshot, or head tap to create movement.

Comment

AMAZING

I wonder what the coaches were thinking when they were getting their ass's handed to them

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                    X