Announcement

Collapse

FORUM MAINTENANCE

FORUM MAINTENANCE THIS EVENING!!! PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE FORUMS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. JOIN US ON THE DISCORD, INSTEAD!
See more
See less

Gay Bashing in the Martial Arts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gay Bashing in the Martial Arts

Personally I don't care what someone's preferences are, I'll give anyone a good bashing.

Comment

Originally posted by MTTKDGUY View Post
      I’m curious as to everyone’s stance on gay bashing in the martial arts. In this day and age, I would like to think we are more enlightened…but given the testosterone levels in martial arts, insensitivity and intolerance towards gays isn’t a big surprise. In my own experience, I’ve known a fair number of openly gay martial artists, including some world-class and Olympic Korean athletes and coaches whose bisexuality was pretty obvious.

Still…what should we think of school owners who openly bash gays and use gay accusations to attack people on their social media sites. These are people with significant influence over the social and emotional development of children…actively promoting encouraging hate and intolerance.

What do you all think? I’ll provide a sterling example in a future post…
      I think you're a sensitive little flower. If you don't like the way an instructor behaves, don't train with him. Don't give him your money. Why should other people give a fuck if you find them offensive? Stop being a baby.

Comment

Still…what should we think of school owners who openly bash gays and use gay accusations to attack people on their social media sites. These are people with significant influence over the social and emotional development of children…actively promoting encouraging hate and intolerance.
        The same as we think of any other intolerant asshole. Don't patronize or recommend their businesses. Call them out through the same media if it makes you feel better.

Comment

If you're training with an instructor and you discover him/her to be a bigot and be rather vocal and open about it than you pack up, say goodbye and move on.

If you're concerned about this instructor's influence of younger and impressionable students than you can use the same media that instructor is using to expose him/her.

Comment

given the testosterone levels in martial arts, insensitivity and intolerance towards gays isn’t a big surprise.
            Disclaimer: I'm not gay or bisexual but I do know one truism based on what I've seen and been told by gay friends and family members: Testosterone levels are a huge part of being a gay man. Why should be obvious.

To think and say otherwise is to actually peddle a stereotype, that gay men are effeminate, lack testosterone themselves etc. Not only false, but in reality the opposite is often the case. Many gay men are aggressive and testosterone-fueled bulls.

Even Harvey Fierstein, arguably the gayest man on earth, is a raging testosterone factory, especially when he was younger.

Fact: when two gay men meet and are attracted to each other, you will see more testosterone at work and on display than in any fight club. I've personally witnessed this many times.

If you ever visit NYC, you'll see what I mean pretty quickly. Men in NY don't mind showing off their muscles, their sexuality, or their hormone levels.

In America? Call them gay bashers to their face and watch them try and fail to rationalize it with religion, science, logic etc.

In Russia? Keep your mouth shut or you'll be beat up, imprisoned, or murdered (possibly all three). Wait until you get to America.
            Last edited by W. Rabbit; 5/20/2015 12:39pm, .
            '�I am no advocate of passivity,� Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. �Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.�'

My Glossary: https://www.bullshido.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=129294

Comment

I’m curious as to everyone’s stance on gay bashing in the martial arts. In this day and age, I would like to think we are more enlightened…but given the testosterone levels in martial arts, insensitivity and intolerance towards gays isn’t a big surprise. In my own experience, I’ve known a fair number of openly gay martial artists, including some world-class and Olympic Korean athletes and coaches whose bisexuality was pretty obvious.

I don't hang with people like that let alone train with people like that.

Comment

I've mostly only seen it on Bullshido when a fraudulent martial arts teacher is backed into a corner and has nothing real to fall back on so they lash out with tired ad hominems. i.e.: "I may be a fake Navy SEAL and a mail order blackbelt and my fighting ability is nonexistant and I'm doughy as fuck, but...uh...OH YOU DO BJJ MORE LIKE BJGAY! BLOWJOB JUJITSU LOL GO HUG A MAN!". Thomas Daw's rants definitely come to mind. So does JFS. An online martial arts toughguy who doesn't believe that combat sports work in a fight is a likely candidate for appealing to homophobia.

In the mind of the insecure "too deadly to spar" instructor world, where dumbass teachers sell a bullshit macho paradigm where grappling is so easily defeated, there could only be a non-fighting reason why those fellas roll around with each other.

My old FMA teacher, rest his soul, was in his 70s and from the Philippines, and wasn't the most progressive guy in the world. For example, he wasn't too keen on Muslims. But being from a place and time where he'd seen Muslim extremist violence firsthand in his homeland, I sorta gave him a pass on that. It almost seemed intolerant not to. His sons soaked up his martial arts like sponges, but I've never heard any off color jokes from them.

I'll bet that if there are anti-gay sentiments common in certain MA circles, its probably some guys at the top who talks shit, and the inner circle tolerates it because of some weird martial arts hierarchy and rationalizes it to themselves in a way that's like how I did above. Especially if they're the type who makes "martial artist" their whole identity.

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
                  Disclaimer: I'm not gay or bisexual but I do know one truism based on what I've seen and been told by gay friends and family members: Testosterone levels are a huge part of being a gay man. Why should be obvious.

To think and say otherwise is to actually peddle a stereotype, that gay men are effeminate, lack testosterone themselves etc. Not only false, but in reality the opposite is often the case. Many gay men are aggressive and testosterone-fueled bulls.

Even Harvey Fierstein, arguably the gayest man on earth, is a raging testosterone factory, especially when he was younger.

Fact: when two gay men meet and are attracted to each other, you will see more testosterone at work and on display than in any fight club. I've personally witnessed this many times.

If you ever visit NYC, you'll see what I mean pretty quickly. Men in NY don't mind showing off their muscles, their sexuality, or their hormone levels.

In America? Call them gay bashers to their face and watch them try and fail to rationalize it with religion, science, logic etc.

In Russia? Keep your mouth shut or you'll be beat up, imprisoned, or murdered (possibly all three). Wait until you get to America.
                  I agree... LOL at testosterone having anything to do with gay bashing...more like men who are not secure in their sexuality getting nervous about being in contact with gay men. Like in grappling...
                  Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Just let me guess who that might be...
                    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Nobody really gives a shit anymore .

I had two friends come out on Facebook in the last 6 months one of which is a martial artist and works on Mma shows .

They both where taken back by all the people reaching out and showing support .

Coming out is so 90s its 2015 if you want to shock people and lose friends you have to tell everybody you are Muslim.

All that to say is that if you have an openly homophobic martial arts instructor I very much doubt that being a homophobe is his only character flaw and is probably a symptom of him being an arsehole so as others have said just go somewhere else.

The thought of two men having sex turns my stomach but some people feel the same about fat people so each to their own as long as it's not hurting anybody (that doesn't want to be hurt) its all good.
                      King without a crown

Comment

Last edited by MTTKDGUY; 5/20/2015 8:59pm, .

Comment

Yes, I AM a sensitive little flower, tho hardly a baby...and as to "Why should other people give a **** if you (I) find them offensive?" Well, isn't that the whole point of this board (Bullshido)? People finding abhorrent behavior offensive and speaking up about it? Interesting...well, maybe it’s just simple geeking-out – pick your hobby to obsess over…eventually everyone turns into a nerd – and all people want to talk about is rank circle-jerks, who promoted who or themselves, and who’s studying the most legit form of BJJ. Like a friend of mine said when he read the responses...maybe Bullshido isn't the place to discuss gay bashing and the bad behavior of homophobic fuck-tards from the toothless south. One of the big problems with martial arts is that martial artists – with their low self-esteem and desire to be king shit of whatever turd mountain they find themselves on – suck at self-policing and self-regulating. They talk all day about the martial virtues and ethics and the way things oughta be, but practice the wonkiest forms of moral relativism one can imagine...it's like dealing with cultists, conspiracy nuts, and born again Christians all day. Give me a pragmatic atheist who reads any day…

And yes…I, too, thought we were well past this by now…but judging by the tone (and barely concealed intolerance of gays and their issues) just under the surface in a couple of the replies, I’d say MA people still have a ways to go…

The instructor in question is a real piece of work (I was going to say shit, but held back)...a "Grand Master" with a big internet presence who heads a handful of MA organizations and runs a chain of schools in Florida who is currently engaging in a spate of gay hate talk on his closed facebook sites and blogs. They guy's a joke (and yes, he has been “investigated” on Bullshido), but the product of his insecurity and intolerance and plain juvenile behavior has some reach...My question is, as martial artists, and as a group that supposedly is aiming for a higher standard for behavior and ethics in MA, why do we tolerate this behavior? “If you don't like the way an instructor behaves, don't train with him. Don't give him your money.” Seems like a lazy cop-out to me. Any supposed grown man who pretends to be a teacher and leader in the martial arts, but then stoops to calling people homosexuals and making gay allusions to bolster or inflame an argument should be held to the flame, so to speak, IMNSHO…
                          I don't white knight for gays because I don't give a fuck about them. U MAD BRO?

Comment

Hardly...if you don't give a fuck about them, why go out of your way to troll the thread? Sounds like you're overcompensating for something...

Comment

Somehow this thread isn't up to the MABS standards. I mean that is just my opinion.

I really don't care what people do with their genitals. Unless the are my company's representative, boning my clients... then I care. I don't even care which gender who is when rubbing what where...not relevant.

If your sexual preference is a topic during training, your head isn't in the right place or they aren't locked on right. I really don't care about sexuality on the mat. It isn't sexual to me. It is hard work, fun but hard work none the less.
                              Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 5/20/2015 10:36pm, .
                              I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
                              BILL HICKS,
                              1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
                              ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X