Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joined Planet Fitness

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Joined Planet Fitness



    So, saw the Dr. monday and got great news. 2 months out from my surgery (torn pec tendon) everything looks good and I can start the "strengthening" portion of my rehab. Since I've done such a great job doing the "range of motion" part of my rehab myself (my secret is to just do stuff like normal!) he thought I'd be fine for this part too. For the next two months he has restricted me to machines only, no free weights, and low weight/high rep. Since I have only worked out at home using body weight and dumbbells for the last several years, this meant I needed a gym.

    Now, those of you who don't know me IRL probably don't know that I am cheap. Not just frugal, but cheap. Every other gym I've ever lifted in before has been free (work or school). So paying anything more than a couple bucks a month was out of the question. That left me with basically one option: Planet Fitness! Conveniently located within minutes from my work.

    Now, I'd heard the rumors. Lunk alarms. People being asked to leave for basically working out hard. Pizza nights and bagel breakfasts. So I wasn't too keen on it. But I decided to go take a look. Went in for a tour. Got some nice young lady with a tongue stud to show me around and answer questions.

    I must admit, the facilities were very nice. I mean, if cardio's your thing, they have cardio machines for days! About 50 treadmills. Stair climbers. Elipticals. Etc. Free weight section wasn't huge, but still had half a dozen benches, another half a dozen Smiths, large rack of dumbbells, etc. And they had just about every kind of machine imaginable, which was just what I was looking for. Hammer strength. Nautilus type stuff. Row upon row. And that's not to mention the machines they had in their "30 Minute Circuit" area. So I'm in, basically, at this point.

    But I did have some questions. When we started the tour she immediately hit me with "we're not a body building gym." She also hit all the commercial talking points. "No yelling, dropping or slamming weights. Judgement free zone." Etc. Funny thing is that these weren't stated in such a way as to encourage me to join, but rather came across as a warning! I never think I look "big" or like I lift, but I must have had something going on because she kept looking at me like, "So you know, there's no... allowed." I did mock threaten to walk out when she said "no string tank tops" though! Haha.

    Anyway, I finally straight up asked her. I said I'm only doing rehab now, but usually I like to use free weights and lift heavy. Would that be a problem? She said definitely not. Basically you just can't be loud about it.

    Oddly enough, went for my first work out today and one of the first people I see is a gal wearing nothing but a sports bra and tights! And there were plenty of people lifting seriously, including some really big dudes. So all in all it was a pleasant experience.

    tl,dr Joined PF to do rehab. Despite rumors to the contrary, seems like a good place to work out. lol Pizza Night!

    #2
    It's all about the group that trains at a particular PF. If it is a gym with a large amount of fatties, men and women, you hear horror stories. If it has moderate to extreme fitness people you rarely have problems.

    Comment


      #3
      A guy at work is childhood frieds with a guy who worked directly under one of the founders of Planet Fatness. It's business model is pure genius. The policies are designed to ward off anybody interested in working out, and draw unmotivated memebers. Since nobody actually uses their membership, they can sell way morememberships per machine than an actual gym. Since they can pile in members, they can keep the fees low enough that nobody quits, so they can pretend they will start going to the gym next week forever.
      Last edited by ermghoti; 4/21/2015 9:11pm, .
      "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

      Originally posted by strikistanian
      DROP SEIONAGI MOTHERFUCKER! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
      Originally posted by Devil
      Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
      Originally posted by Plasma
      At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
      Originally posted by SoulMechanic
      Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.

      Comment


        #4
        Well, two days of working out now. First, I need a shirt that says "Just had shoulder surgery" because I feel like a goof working with machines on the lowest possible weight setting. Second, it has seemed "busy" to me both times (around lunch time) I have gone. Never had to wait for a machine, but there was a steady stream of people. Third, I did notice that they have no squat or safety racks. That must explain all the Smith Machines. That's not a problem for me since I have used the smith for benching and squatting for a long time now due to various issues. But it might turn someone else off.

        I definitely think you are right, IIF. And I think I found a decent one. Lots of people doing serious workouts. No power lifters, of course. But no weirdo's or slackers either. Tomorrow will be the real test however, because it will be leg day. And that's the only area where I can still lift like my old self with no surgery concerns. I'm sure I'm going to let out a grunt or two when squatting, so we'll see.

        LIGHT WEIGHT! YEAH BUDDY!! WHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

        Comment


          #5
          Fat people exercising? Oh the horror, heaven forbid!

          Comment


            #6
            Lol hey last night I took a planet fitness tour out of curiosity. The staff was energetic and friendly : -)

            I did feel like there were too many rules but people there were pretty athletic so I didn't spot any lunk alarms. I guess it really is about the location than the members...

            The pizza night bagel morning thing is pretty wild though, lol.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by JudOWNED View Post


              So, saw the Dr. monday and got great news. 2 months out from my surgery (torn pec tendon) everything looks good and I can start the "strengthening" portion of my rehab. Since I've done such a great job doing the "range of motion" part of my rehab myself (my secret is to just do stuff like normal!) he thought I'd be fine for this part too. For the next two months he has restricted me to machines only, no free weights, and low weight/high rep. Since I have only worked out at home using body weight and dumbbells for the last several years, this meant I needed a gym.

              Now, those of you who don't know me IRL probably don't know that I am cheap. Not just frugal, but cheap. Every other gym I've ever lifted in before has been free (work or school). So paying anything more than a couple bucks a month was out of the question. That left me with basically one option: Planet Fitness! Conveniently located within minutes from my work.

              Now, I'd heard the rumors. Lunk alarms. People being asked to leave for basically working out hard. Pizza nights and bagel breakfasts. So I wasn't too keen on it. But I decided to go take a look. Went in for a tour. Got some nice young lady with a tongue stud to show me around and answer questions.

              I must admit, the facilities were very nice. I mean, if cardio's your thing, they have cardio machines for days! About 50 treadmills. Stair climbers. Elipticals. Etc. Free weight section wasn't huge, but still had half a dozen benches, another half a dozen Smiths, large rack of dumbbells, etc. And they had just about every kind of machine imaginable, which was just what I was looking for. Hammer strength. Nautilus type stuff. Row upon row. And that's not to mention the machines they had in their "30 Minute Circuit" area. So I'm in, basically, at this point.

              But I did have some questions. When we started the tour she immediately hit me with "we're not a body building gym." She also hit all the commercial talking points. "No yelling, dropping or slamming weights. Judgement free zone." Etc. Funny thing is that these weren't stated in such a way as to encourage me to join, but rather came across as a warning! I never think I look "big" or like I lift, but I must have had something going on because she kept looking at me like, "So you know, there's no... allowed." I did mock threaten to walk out when she said "no string tank tops" though! Haha.

              Anyway, I finally straight up asked her. I said I'm only doing rehab now, but usually I like to use free weights and lift heavy. Would that be a problem? She said definitely not. Basically you just can't be loud about it.

              Oddly enough, went for my first work out today and one of the first people I see is a gal wearing nothing but a sports bra and tights! And there were plenty of people lifting seriously, including some really big dudes. So all in all it was a pleasant experience.

              tl,dr Joined PF to do rehab. Despite rumors to the contrary, seems like a good place to work out. lol Pizza Night!
              But can you fuck other members ? Including the sales rep ? I mean, if it's consensual.

              You need to get your priorities straight.
              Falling for Judo since 1980

              "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

              "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

              "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by JudOWNED View Post
                Well, two days of working out now. First, I need a shirt that says "Just had shoulder surgery" because I feel like a goof working with machines on the lowest possible weight setting. Second, it has seemed "busy" to me both times (around lunch time) I have gone. Never had to wait for a machine, but there was a steady stream of people. Third, I did notice that they have no squat or safety racks. That must explain all the Smith Machines. That's not a problem for me since I have used the smith for benching and squatting for a long time now due to various issues. But it might turn someone else off.

                I definitely think you are right, IIF. And I think I found a decent one. Lots of people doing serious workouts. No power lifters, of course. But no weirdo's or slackers either. Tomorrow will be the real test however, because it will be leg day. And that's the only area where I can still lift like my old self with no surgery concerns. I'm sure I'm going to let out a grunt or two when squatting, so we'll see.

                LIGHT WEIGHT! YEAH BUDDY!! WHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
                I'm waiting for tales of wild sex in the closet, hurry up !
                Falling for Judo since 1980

                "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

                "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

                "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

                Comment


                  #9
                  OK, this will probably be my last post on the subject.

                  Went to lift today and it was LEG DAY! I used to hate leg day, as squats were always my most difficult lift. But now I love it, because legs are the one area where I can completely bypass my shoulder and LIFT HEAVY. So after warming up, I did a heavy pyramid set of squats. My last 1RM was 250, but that was literally 10 years ago. Done nothing but body-weight since. Started at 135 and worked my way up to a 1RM of 205! Not bad, I say.

                  Here's the relevant info. There's no way I could try for a 1RM twice without grunting. I pretty much grunted and growled my way through the entire rep on each attempt. Well, there was so much ambient noise (music, and all the machines) that even had they cared, no one could have heard me. So, at least at the location I go to, you'd have to yell like Ronnie Coleman to set off the "lunk alarm."

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Don't know how I missed both your posts, BKR, but I'll have you know I am a happily married man (no pics), sir! I'm sure I could slay many ladies there if I wasn't. Young Miss Tongue Stud seemed available, for example. But you'd have to have game. Otherwise it would be pretty easy for someone to complain to management.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by BKR View Post
                      But can you fuck other members ? Including the sales rep ? I mean, if it's consensual.

                      You need to get your priorities straight.
                      Originally posted by Mr. Machette
                      Lift a lot of weights and sexually assault anyone who tries step to you. Flip the script. Watch that fight turn to flight when you go for penetration.
                      Originally posted by Raycetpfl
                      Just for future reference dude..... when you are doing it right you don't soil your under-roos when you nail chicks.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by JudOWNED View Post
                        Started at 135 and worked my way up to a 1RM of 205!
                        Smith machine "squats" are worth about the same as quarter-squats. Let's not conflate the two.
                        What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Smith machine squats < free weight squats
                          Smith machine squats > than quarter squats

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Smith machine can only be low weight because it forces bad squat form. If you go high weight your going to fuck up your knees.

                            http://stronglifts.com/smith-machine...-free-weights/

                            Comment


                              #15
                              That's interesting to see people saying that Plasma. If you look at sites talking about how to squat, they all talk about a perfect squat having a straight, vertical path. Most people have a slight forward motion in the path, especially when they are pushing a heavy weight, but they all seem to agree you should strive for as straight a path as possible.

                              Here's only one example of several that I found which illustrate this. http://blog.barsense.com/post/785797...rsense-and-bar

                              A smith machine gives you that straight bar path. Why would a straight path be good with free weights but bad with a machine? Doesn't make sense to me. Also, I have lifted off and on for a long time. And I have used smiths a lot. I have found they work well for me. I also have found there are a lot of smith haters. "Serious lifters" tend to dislike machines in general anyway. And they hate the smith even more because the smith pretends to be free weights. But for those of us who understand what they are and what they are not, I think they can be a great tool.

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X