Brutal and gruelling 6th dan test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    The question you should ask is if I have a vacant room. I actually do have a rental unfortunately it is occupied.
    lol at the very moment rental wouldn't do me a lot of good unless you know you want to loan(then loan forgiveness) rent. That wouldn't really do that whole investing in a rental property much good.
    Although maybe I should take an honest look at the jobs in Santa Barbra.

Comment

Originally posted by Crab View Post
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clxAqnoM1yw

Take notes! I don't think I've ever seen anyone quite so tough.
      I liked the way they slowed the footage down so we could see what was happening...

Comment

Originally posted by gold_ax666 View Post
        Saying "this is better than a lot of stuff I've seen" doesn't make this any better. It just intimates that you have seen a lot of pretty bad stuff. IT certainly doesn't suggest that this guy should be a 6th Dan simply because there is a glut of bad MAists out there.

Like you say, it keeps coming back to the '6th Dan' thing. The level is only as relevant as what is being demonstrated. Had this have been a 5th kyu grading it would not be on Bullshido.
        I'm well aware of that, it's just watching the video I find it difficult to attach that to a 6th Dan ranking
        I showed the test to my daughter. Her remark? "My test was harder than that."

Who am I to complain anyway. I never tested for my 6th degree black. Everything past 5th in our system is completely political. Friggin pyramid scheme I tell you.
        a) your daughter can probably beat the shit out of me even at her age
        b) I haven't seen any system with ranks above 5th Dan that aren't political or at least honoring contributions to the art, though I'd be interested to hear if this is untrue for some arts
        edit: nevermind, kendo it is
        I should really read ahead before posting
        Last edited by soft touch; 4/08/2015 6:56pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by Hadzu View Post
          This got me curious, so I looked into what the test entailed and felt my testicles empathetically retract into my abdomen at the thought of it. Out of curiosity, are there any set procedures for 9-10th dan (if the ranks exist, mind you), or is it just one of those "promoting the sport" and/or unattainable things?
          They don't award 9 or 10 dan anymore. The highest rank you can get is now hanshi hachidan. There are the technical ranks, dan-i, which go to 8. Then there are the teaching ranks, shogo, which are renshi, kyoshi and hanshi. You get those after achieving 6, 7 and 8 dan respectively. They involve a written test but mostly they are granted based on a decision of who's who in your national federation.

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
          What does it entail?
          In Japan, you fight two other candidates in front of a panel of 7 judges for a maximum of 2 minutes each. For most ranks if you pass there it's a pass, but for 8 dan there are two rounds. They have two panels judging the first round. After the first round, they join the two panels together and you fight 2 guys of the other guys who made the first cut in front of 14 judges. I believe you need 10/14 votes to pass. If you pass that, there's a kata demonstration and a written exam but I don't think anyone ever fails those.

The first cut is usually from around 1000 candidates to 60. The second cut usually has 6 - 8 people passing. Everybody wears numbers, there is no name identification allowed, ie your normal name-tags are removed, you wear hakama without the usual name on the ass. With 1000 candidates I believe passing into the 2nd round is done pretty much anonymously, they are rotating through so many people I can't believe the judges know who everybody is. The 2nd round I'm guessing they might know who you are, especially if you are a pretty famous guy.

If you have time, look up "Kendo's Gruelling Challenge", an old NHK documentary on the subject. It's a pretty fascinating watch, available easily on youtube. It follows 2 guys trying to pass, one well-known 2-time all-Japan champion trying for the 5th time and an older gentleman trying for something like the 26th time. Name-drop time - the short old guy in glasses shown coaching the older candidate is Haga-sensei, who I've had the honour of practising with a few times. He crushed me easily when he was 80 and I was in my early 30s. He passed away a few years ago.

Comment

Pyramid scheme. For my 6th degree blackbelt 2 of my blackbelts must present 2 blackbelts each for me to test for their blackbelts (confusing isn't it?). If they're skill level is sufficient I give my blackbelts the ability to promote blackbelts themselves. When those blackbelts actually promote 4 blackbelts each I get to move to 7th degree. (Of course that took friggin 12 years), and I have to have time in rank which is a minimum of 7 years.

So like I said it's a friggin pyramid political scheme. The founder of this system fucking sucks ballz.
            This actually sounds far more empirically based than 99% of the high rank promotion standards out there. Your students must not suck before you can get higher. That's pretty cool.

Comment

Just checking in to let everyone know that andy is indeed a 6th dan superfoot black belt. At least according to our friend Gmmc, who is a 4th dan in the system. He called Bill Wallace, who confirmed the rank.

Comment

Originally posted by Guird View Post
                Just checking in to let everyone know that andy is indeed a 6th dan superfoot black belt. At least according to our friend Gmmc, who is a 4th dan in the system. He called Bill Wallace, who confirmed the rank.
                So GMMC (who initially lied his ass off) called Bill, who confirmed Andy is a 6th degree...

I'm not not sure that even qualifies as THIRD party information!

Comment

So GMMC (who initially lied his ass off) called Bill, who confirmed Andy is a 6th degree...

I'm not not sure that even qualifies as THIRD party information!
                  A good point. However Superfoot's website lists Mike Curtis(Gmmc) as a qualified instructor, and his school (great river martial arts) as a superfoot school. It also lists a 'Revolution Martial Arts' with 'Tony' as the instructor. The link for that school leads to a different website than Andy's and he isn't mentioned on it once so I couldn't count this as confirmation before, but as I don't see a motive for a confirmed superfoot BB to lie about this, I'd count it as adequate confirmation. It's not like it would really be MABS-worthy anyway.
                  http://superfoot.com/schools/superfoot-schools

Comment

A good point. However Superfoot's website lists Mike Curtis(Gmmc) as a qualified instructor, and his school (great river martial arts) as a superfoot school. It also lists a 'Revolution Martial Arts' with 'Tony' as the instructor. The link for that school leads to a different website than Andy's and he isn't mentioned on it once so I couldn't count this as confirmation before, but as I don't see a motive for a confirmed superfoot BB to lie about this, I'd count it as adequate confirmation. It's not like it would really be MABS-worthy anyway.
                    http://superfoot.com/schools/superfoot-schools
                    Sorry mate I'm not following you. Andy Crittenden's School is called 'Andy Crittenden's Martial Arts Centre' which would be pretty obvious to see on Wallace's website.

What is the relevance to 'Revolution Martial arts' to this thread? The address of that place is in California anyway- Crittenden is in the UK.

Apologies if I am missing something obvious here but I can't see Crittenden on Wallace's list of qualified superfoot instructors/ schools at all so this qualification would require checking if Crittenden is claiming this status.

I do not count this as adequate confirmation. There is no proof here.
                    Last edited by gold_ax666; 4/13/2015 5:21am, .

Comment

Sorry mate I'm not following you. Andy Crittenden's School is called 'Andy Crittenden's Martial Arts Centre' which would be pretty obvious to see on Wallace's website.

What is the relevance to 'Revolution Martial arts' to this thread? The address of that place is in California anyway- Crittenden is in the UK.

Apologies if I am missing something obvious here but I can't see Crittenden on Wallace's list of qualified superfoot instructors/ schools at all so this qualification would require checking if Crittenden is claiming this status.

I do not count this as adequate confirmation. There is no proof here.
                      Ah shit you're right, the connection I saw between andy and revolution is that in his bio it says he is the founder or Revolution Martial Arts and Revolution Tournaments. However, all of Andy's schools are located in the UK, wheras all the superfoot schools listed are located in the US. It must just be a coincidence that the instructor is named Anthony.

I guess Andy could still be a 6th dan but not teaching superfoot, but you're right that the word of a known liar isn't nearly enough confirmation.

maybe I should just stick to lurking.

Comment

Ah shit you're right, the connection I saw between andy and revolution is that in his bio it says he is the founder or Revolution Martial Arts and Revolution Tournaments. However, all of Andy's schools are located in the UK, wheras all the superfoot schools listed are located in the US. It must just be a coincidence that the instructor is named Anthony.

I guess Andy could still be a 6th dan but not teaching superfoot, but you're right that the word of a known liar isn't nearly enough confirmation.

maybe I should just stick to lurking.
                        I've sent a mail of to the Superfoot website just to confirm Crittenden's 6th degree rank. I don't think he is claiming to be a Superfoot school; just claiming that rank on his website. SO I am making this enquiry out of interest more than anything else I guess.

Gives an indication of character and morals though.

Waiting for reply...

Comment

Bill Wallace replied

To confirm:

Superfoot has replied to my enquiry and confirmed Andy Crittenden as a 6th Degree BB and highly advocates his teaching ability.

Comment

To confirm:

Superfoot has replied to my enquiry and confirmed Andy Crittenden as a 6th Degree BB and highly advocates his teaching ability.
                            OK, well, I guess that settles it...

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                              OK, well, I guess that settles it...
                              TBH I was somewhat surprised by the reply but there you go. Strange things do happen. Superfoot advocates Crittenden.

Comment

Huh. Either we caught Andy on a bad day, or Superfoot has low standards for BBs. Probably a bit of both.
                                But at least Andy's no liar.
                                Last edited by Guird; 4/14/2015 9:55am, .

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X