Brutal and gruelling 6th dan test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
    The grappling was the only thing that seemed to have any sort of quality to it, it looked like real honest to goodness 2 strip white belt grappling complete with aliveness and timing not very good timing but much better than everything else in the video.
    I have also seen worse pad work
    though this is with me looking at it like he was someone who has been training for at MOST a couple years
    I keep on coming back to 6th Dan... that's getting into honorary rankings, and for this it's somewhat less impressive

but hey, I'd say it's better than a lot of stuff I've seen

Comment

Saying "this is better than a lot of stuff I've seen" doesn't make this any better. It just intimates that you have seen a lot of pretty bad stuff. IT certainly doesn't suggest that this guy should be a 6th Dan simply because there is a glut of bad MAists out there.

Like you say, it keeps coming back to the '6th Dan' thing. The level is only as relevant as what is being demonstrated. Had this have been a 5th kyu grading it would not be on Bullshido.

Comment

You know what pisses me off? I'm going to tell you, regardless.

What pisses me off is that there were more females in gis in that crowd than my gym gets in the fucking ladies only class for an entire year. What pisses me off is that this guy is teaching when his skill level appears comparable to that of my own. What pisses me off is that this is his FUCKING HIGHLIGHT VIDEO of his 6th Dan grading. What pisses me off is that those board breaks were expected of me in a WTF style TKD YELLOW BELT GRADING. And finally, what pisses me off is the applause for essentially, from what I can see, is a grown man doing a kids demonstration of a variety of martial arts.

The anger subsides quickly, though. If there's no outrageous claims of efficacy, or inflated/ dishonesty in rank, then I just feel sorry for the guy. I'd rather die trekking to Everest base camp than be glorified for meandering up the hill outside my house. I'll stick with my brutal and gruelling daily grind.
        GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
        Originally posted by Devil
        I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
        Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
        I <3 Battlefields...

Comment

Brutally awkward and slow.

Comment

Originally posted by battlefields View Post
            You know what pisses me off? I'm going to tell you, regardless.

What pisses me off is that there were more females in gis in that crowd than my gym gets in the fucking ladies only class for an entire year. What pisses me off is that this guy is teaching when his skill level appears comparable to that of my own. What pisses me off is that this is his FUCKING HIGHLIGHT VIDEO of his 6th Dan grading. What pisses me off is that those board breaks were expected of me in a WTF style TKD YELLOW BELT GRADING. And finally, what pisses me off is the applause for essentially, from what I can see, is a grown man doing a kids demonstration of a variety of martial arts.

The anger subsides quickly, though. If there's no outrageous claims of efficacy, or inflated/ dishonesty in rank, then I just feel sorry for the guy. I'd rather die trekking to Everest base camp than be glorified for meandering up the hill outside my house. I'll stick with my brutal and gruelling daily grind.
            I showed the test to my daughter. Her remark? "My test was harder than that."

Who am I to complain anyway. I never tested for my 6th degree black. Everything past 5th in our system is completely political. Friggin pyramid scheme I tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by Omega Supreme View Post
              Who am I to complain anyway. I never tested for my 6th degree black. Everything past 5th in our system is completely political. Friggin pyramid scheme I tell you.
              Judo?

Comment

I showed the test to my daughter. Her remark? "My test was harder than that."
                Way harder, and her technique was much better than this guy's.

Comment

Originally posted by battlefields View Post
                  What pisses me off is that this guy is teaching when his skill level appears comparable to that of my own.

You have an amateur fighter tag. Like people said he's not awful, but he'd stand no chance against even the other hobbyists I train with in KB, MMA, and BJJ. hobbyists!
                  Hell, the 7th kyus at the JJJ place I train at could outperform him. JJJ! 7th Kyu!

In short, I think you're being a little too generous, or otherwise selling yourself short.

Like others said though, we've all seen worse.
                  Hell, I'm pretty sure I'm worse.

Comment

Judo?
                    Kung-fu (Where the fuck have you been for the past 7 years?)

Comment

Kung-fu (Where the fuck have you been for the past 7 years?)
                      5 ancestors or Phoenix Boxing?

Comment

5 ancestors or Phoenix Boxing?
                        Both. I hold 5th degree in 5 Ancestor and 7th degree in Rising Phoenix.

Comment

Both. I hold 5th degree in 5 Ancestor and 7th degree in Rising Phoenix.
                          Just curious how would you test for 8th degree in Rising Phoenix?

Comment

Just curious how would you test for 8th degree in Rising Phoenix?
                            I don't test anymore. It's all political.

Comment

It's all political.
                              Great, now I want to hear about all the politics that are involved in Rising Phoenix.

Comment

Great, now I want to hear about all the politics that are involved in Rising Phoenix.
                                Pyramid scheme. For my 6th degree blackbelt 2 of my blackbelts must present 2 blackbelts each for me to test for their blackbelts (confusing isn't it?). If they're skill level is sufficient I give my blackbelts the ability to promote blackbelts themselves. When those blackbelts actually promote 4 blackbelts each I get to move to 7th degree. (Of course that took friggin 12 years), and I have to have time in rank which is a minimum of 7 years.

So like I said it's a friggin pyramid political scheme. The founder of this system fucking sucks ballz.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X