Quitting Aikido

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quitting Aikido

Seeing that i'm as fresh as they get concerning bullshido.net, i've come here to see what others may think about my ''little problem''. I also saw how much Aikido is ''loved'' around here and i think that's a plus because i'm looking for constructive advice. Now my problem is that i started training Aikido with a high school friend of my mom and his two kids which i both know for a looong time. But the past few weeks have been really crappy on my fighting spirit due to the fact that when i started it was so flashy and cool with all the interesting motions and whatnot but pretty soon i started questioning it's effectiveness. I was quickly shunned and told that "true aikido starts after black belt" or "you have not seen anything yet". But researching other martial arts (especially karate) has led me to believe that what i'm currently practicing is a form of modified yoga. Now, i don't want to question Ueshiba himself and especially pre-war aikido, but from my point of view it's very hard to find anything useful in it other than balance and overall physichal improvements as well as circular motion and stances, but that's pretty much it. I'm considering switching to Shotokan because ground-fighting aint really my thing and i love kicking. The problem is, how do you really quit a dojo (not just aiki dojo, but any dojo)??? From my personal point of view the martial arts people pick should suit themselves! I also realise this topic is probably useless but i want to see if there are others like me and i didn't really want to post to the aikiweb forum...

If you like the people, but dislike the training, just be straight and polite with them. Something along the lines of, "Thank you for all of the help, but I need to find something that suits me better. Good luck with the club, and I hope to stay in touch with you all." However you want to say it, that is the kind of sentiment that should be respected and appreciated.

If they flip out, it is probably an indication of their own doubts or shortcomings (likely ego-based).

Kudos for taking this step. Honestly, there is nothing wrong with Aikido as an activity, but most folks here would question the actual applicability in any kind of resistant/combative setting. Do your best to look for live training, if this appeals to you. Note that good Shotokan can be good, but there's some bad stuff out there. If they aren't actually beating up on each other now and then, it isn't live training and won't do anything more for you combatively than your Aikido did. (Think occasional kickboxing rules bouts, or Kyokushin style matches).

Good luck on finding a good club.

Comment

I think that a positive or close relationship can be actually used as a reason to be honest and straightforward. With that honesty, be frank (don't beat around the bush as to why you're looking for alternatives), but tactful (you don't have to be rude about it).

Now, as for Shotokan, I'd tread carefully. There's a looooot of schools out there that are going to pull the exact same thing your aikido school does. They're going to claim that you won't see the REAL karate until after black belt, so be forewarned. Of you want a hard school if karate, with (as you've stated you prefer) excellent kicks, I second the notion of Kyokushin or one of its derivatives (Enshin or Ashihara). You'll get the full package of traditional things coupled with live contact, physically demanding sparring. Most importantly, I would venture to say that probably end up loving it.

Otherwise... To be perfectly fair, there are the rare Shotokan/Wado/Goju schools that spar well, but please believe me when I say the VAST majority are actually going to have the EXACT same issues your Aikido school did.

If you have a Kyokushin/Enshin/Ashihara school anywhere nearby, take a look, I can almost guarantee it is exactly what you're looking for.
      Last edited by Lanner Hunt; 3/23/2015 2:07pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by Radozen View Post
        Seeing that i'm as fresh as they get concerning bullshido.net, i've come here to see what others may think about my ''little problem''. I also saw how much Aikido is ''loved'' around here and i think that's a plus because i'm looking for constructive advice. Now my problem is that i started training Aikido with a high school friend of my mom and his two kids which i both know for a looong time. But the past few weeks have been really crappy on my fighting spirit due to the fact that when i started it was so flashy and cool with all the interesting motions and whatnot but pretty soon i started questioning it's effectiveness. I was quickly shunned and told that "true aikido starts after black belt" or "you have not seen anything yet". But researching other martial arts (especially karate) has led me to believe that what i'm currently practicing is a form of modified yoga. Now, i don't want to question Ueshiba himself and especially pre-war aikido, but from my point of view it's very hard to find anything useful in it other than balance and overall physichal improvements as well as circular motion and stances, but that's pretty much it. I'm considering switching to Shotokan because ground-fighting aint really my thing and i love kicking. The problem is, how do you really quit a dojo (not just aiki dojo, but any dojo)??? From my personal point of view the martial arts people pick should suit themselves! I also realise this topic is probably useless but i want to see if there are others like me and i didn't really want to post to the aikiweb forum...
        Have you ever tried ground fighting? When I was big into tae kwon do I didn't think I'd liked it either. Then one day I tried it, and I fell in love with it. Partly due to its immediate effectiveness. But also because grappling allows you to pit yourself full strength, body and soul, safely against another person. Of course, you could also try something like judo, that spends 50% of the time or more working on standing grappling. Either way, I wouldn't knock it till you try it!

Comment

How do you quit? You stop paying and you stop showing up....
          Ok ok I get it these people are your friends and what not just tell them that you want to try something else. If they are not cool with that fuck them.

Comment

Newbietown ... I had a whole post written out... then checked the subforum again ... never mind.

Yeah just stop paying and stop going. Or tell them the truth, stop paying, and stop going. Just be honest and respectful. Also make sure you are not locked into a contract.

Comment

If they try to guilt trip you or call you a quitter or whatever they are culty weirdos and you should disregard their feelings and run like hell.

Life is to short for troll shit like that. Seriously, if they even start trying to mess with your head or invalidate your quest in any way ignore everything they throw at you. If they're that kind of crew they'll badmouth you to their students as well. Do not take it personaly. They are trying to save face in front of the other marks, er, I mean, uh "students". If they don't know how to do that on the high road they are liars, hypocrites and failing at "Aikido".

If they give you their blessing they are real martial artists and friends. If they don't, see the above paragraphs.

Go, face punch, throw humans like rag dolls, turn men into pretzels with a side dip of PAIN, kick like a mule, fight like a champion whether you win or lose and save that Hakama for sleepover parties.
              Last edited by Mr. Machette; 3/23/2015 8:38pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Machette View Post
                Go, face punch, throw humans like rag dolls, turn men into pretzels with a side dip of PAIN, kick like a mule, fight like a champion whether you win or lose and save that Hakama for sleepover parties.
                Well, he is considering switching to Shotokan. So let's not go overboard here.

Comment

If you politely tell the instructor that you've decided to pursue other interests, that will be more than 99.9% of students do. Mostly they just stop showing up.

Comment

Op,
                    Really good advice here. Also, Ueshiba and all prominent people in any field are not above rational questioning. Especially if you are considering following their teachings in your own life.

Comment

i just showed up to tell OP to do judo

Comment

First of all, THANKS for the replies even though there are 100000 threads like this one.

Other than that i have compared my school to a McDojo many times and it really isn't. Apart from the ''real black belt aikido'' thing, most of the black belts there are pretty interesting individuals and friends. My instructor is also a very open-minded individual so i'm positive he wouldn't try to guilt trip me. Also my belief is that Aikido in its current form is very hard to apply in extreme combat situations like the notorious ''street''... that was the reason for me to stop going to classes.

As far as groundwrestling and Judo go, i've dipped my toes in groundwrestling a few years ago, and didn't really like it. Judo is probably the ''Aikido'' i'm looking for, since the two seem to be connected somewhat closesly.

And yeah that's pretty much it. My next step would be to find a nice Shotokan school and continue on my quest!

Comment

I'm getting a little curios.Is there any judoka around here eho has trained in both Aikido and Judo and can tell me what to expect because i haven't made my choice yet. A little info on styles and comparisons would be great!

As for quitting aikido goes my instructor proved that he is a great man!He was really encouraging and open-minded and said that everyone should follow their own path in life then wished me good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Radozen View Post
                            My next step would be to find a nice Shotokan school and continue on my quest!
                            How to put this in a newbie town way but ummmm why Shotokan?
                            I don't think your going to find anything in Shotokan either...

Comment

I'm from a small country and where i come from the most widespread styles are Kyokushin and Shotokan so that's the reason for that.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X