Looks like we found out how Ashton Kutcher got his purple belt in BJJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like we found out how Ashton Kutcher got his purple belt in BJJ

The short answer is that it isn't a real purple belt.

http://www.bjjee.com/articles/rigan-...r-celebrities/

What separates BJJ from a lot of the Jujutsu variants out there is the live training and attention to sparring. Without it there is no difference between this and Aikido. While I am sure this is making Rigan Machado lots of money it also dilutes the quality of his ranks.
    Last edited by plasma; 3/22/2015 4:08am, .

Ah, geeze. I'm sure no one expects Charli Hunman or Usher to actually be able to roll but Vin Diesel doesn't spar?
    I'm shattered...

Comment

Originally posted by Plasma View Post
      While I am sure this is making Rigan Machado lots of money it also dilutes the quality of his ranks.
      How? He appears to be marketing it as an, at least almost, completely separate system. "Flow jiu-jitsu" or something.

Comment

How the hell can you learn BJJ without rolling? What does he do, hand them a blow-up doll to drill with? How can any of this be beneficial in a real confrontation?

This just looks like another rich-person-vanity-thing.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if Vin Diesel does roll sometimes.

Comment

It's like offering swimming lessons where the participants are never required to go deeper than the 3 foot section of the pool.

Comment

To be fair the article doesn't actually state which celebrities roll and which don't.

I don't have an enormous problem with him teaching this "Flow Jiu Jitsu" thing to people who won't/can't risk injuries, but I'd be a hell of a lot happier if he made a clear distinction between his BJJ ranks and his FJJ ranks.

Comment

Originally posted by itwasntme View Post
                How? He appears to be marketing it as an, at least almost, completely separate system. "Flow jiu-jitsu" or something.
                Yeah, you have to follow what is written pretty tightly, but I don't think this is BJJ.

I created a new jiu jitsu system for people who can’t get hurt.
                Emphasis added.

Rigan calls this style for celebrities “flow jiu jitsu”.
                It's not BJJ.

Comment

The idea behind the program is not a bad idea. The fact he gives out BJJ ranks along with it is a problem.

Why can't they just train their no-rough-housing grappling without belts?

Comment

Originally posted by Ke?poFist View Post
                    Why can't they just train their no-rough-housing grappling without belts?
                    Because then nobody would take it.

Comment

This is some bullshit. BJJ without rolling is not BJJ. Very simple.

Comment

I think even Daw requires a purple belt to be able to tie it correctly, no?

Comment

Ha ha hahahahahahaha okay then.

Comment

Originally posted by It is Fake View Post
                            Ha ha hahahahahahaha okay then.
                            If people want to knowingly pay for bullshit, let them. As long as he markets it as what it is who cares?

Comment

If people want to knowingly pay for bullshit, let them. As long as he markets it as what it is who cares?
                              1st off never assume people have a clue what the fuck they are paying for.
                              2nd of all your making a BIG assumption that he is marketing it as what it is.
                              3rd at 1st you may have a nice clear line between the two, but as time goes on that line is very likely to blur.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X