No announcement yet.

Top 5 WORST Martial Arts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice to see Dilman made an honorable mention.

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
      Honestly I'm not even sold that ukemi is particularly valuable when slipping/falling outside the dojo. Ukemi is almost always trained on soft surfaces. Unless you are relatively well skilled or practice a lot of breakfalls and rolls on hard surfaces, your ass is going down hard...yes it's possible you'll fall more gracefully (maybe), but I don't see how a lot of breakfall practice on a mat prepares you for breakfalls in the street or on ice etc.

I will bet most judoka (and you know you have) have downed a few cold ones, and then decided to roll on a hard carpet and realized fast it's not the same as falling on the mat.

I know I have tasted the hard unforgiving floor of several college dormitories this way.
      I have done rolls I learned from my past Aiki days on concrete. I'll put some elevation on them, too. They work just fine. That being said, that's a roll. A straight down slam to the ground would probably be different, but I think it'd still be better than if I hadn't learned any of that.

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
        Oh I Was so hoping someone would bring up parkour.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let Parkour be #1.
        Why would it be? Parkour probably prepared a person more for a fight, just as a secondary effect, than all the ones he's listed combined.

Comment

Originally posted by Omega Supreme View Post
          http://youtu.be/SXdmgBTxon0

Honorable mention?
          I don't think I've ever seen people who I wanted to shin rape more than the first two guys.

Comment

Originally posted by RWaggs View Post
            I don't think I've ever seen people who I wanted to shin rape more than the first two guys.
            ?!

Comment

Double post

Comment

Originally posted by RWaggs View Post
                Why would it be? Parkour probably prepared a person more for a fight, just as a secondary effect, than all the ones he's listed combined.
                Precisely. No serious traceurs or freerunners are trying to market Parkour as a martial art; however, as someone who does parkour I can say that I can see how it might me useful running away from an attacker, and plus it requires a very high level of strength and fitness if you want to be good, so the conditioning aspects would help prepare you for a fight better than, say, Wing Chun.

Comment

I'm going to modify this list and post it on one of those hack clickbait sites so we can make fun of the new comments. Because most sites require a minimum of ten entries, though, I need five more pussy styles to fill the list up with. Here's what I've been thinking so far:

1. Drunken Kung-Fu
                  2. Women's Self Defense
                  3. Pressure point fighting/Yellow Bamboo

Comment

4. SCARS
                    5. Hapkido

Comment

At least drunken kung fu looks fun. I say shaolin kenpo karate.I have never see or read about a single school of this style that wasn't a McDojo.

Comment

SARS would be covered under the RBSD paragraph I had in the Krav Maga entry. Each entry has to have something unique about it so I don't end up rehashing the same criticisms point for point.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili Pepper View Post
                          My authoritative lack of ability to a) defend properly against throws, and b) pick opponents with no throwing ability.

Seriously, if you're ever training somewhere with mats, and you smell hair burning, that's me coping with re-entry.
                          Was suppose to be an up vote

Comment

Originally posted by Holy Moment View Post
                            SARS would be covered under the RBSD paragraph I had in the Krav Maga entry. Each entry has to have something unique about it so I don't end up rehashing the same criticisms point for point.
                            Systema?

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                              Systema?
                              That's been suggested a few times, but I've never been down to do it. It's weird and obviously sucks, but I just wouldn't know what to say about it other than that.

I'm thinking maybe Hapkido (Like Ghost suggested), home study courses, Jeet Kune Do, Wushu/XMA, Shaolin Kung-Fu, and storefront krotty in general.

Comment

I'm most looking forward to writing about drunken boxing and women's self defense.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X