X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Judo may have just jumped the shark

http://www.bjjee.com/bjj-news/intern...-competitions/

Well, not Judo but the IJF.
    This though is seriously troubling if it is real.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Hey, gotta protect the brand.

It's really a stupid move, though. The judo guys get to compete with people they would never, ever see in a judo tournament at their level. It's a burn-out relief valve for top level judoka.

Now they have to go against the same guys at yet another IJF event...but guess what, the IJF gets a slice of the financial pie, but lose out when "their" athletes compete in non-IJF events...

Will they let top BJJ'ers compete in the judo ne waza events ?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Yeah, I think this has to be the worse possible way to protect ones brand.

The real question is, will Judoka care at all about the Judo Ne Waza events?
      Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.

Comment

This is dumb.

Comment

I don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
            I don't get it.
            http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...umpingTheShark

Comment

Oh I get the trope; I don't get why the IJF made the decision.

Comment

It's not really surprising, can't have judo losing ground on events especially with BJJ being as big as it is now. It doesn't really matter though in another decade Zuffa will own all martial arts.

Comment

What, are they trying to be IKO1?

(IKO1 does not allow it's students to compete in other tournaments, nor are people from other organizations/styles allowed to compete in theirs. That's the official word, anyway. Plenty of sane people sneak around this, hah! They sometimes let their best fighters go compete in fights from select other styles, but that is rare, and that is it.)

Comment

Oh I get the trope; I don't get why the IJF made the decision.
                    I sort of get it.
                    IJF really only has the Olympics, still a very prestigious event but its only relevant once every 4 years.
                    BJJ has MMA, ADCC, Metamoris(Will be UFC fight pass), IBJFF Worlds/Mundials.
                    BJJ is growing, Judo is shrinking.
                    BJJ is growing enough that IOC will have some pressure on it for it be included in the Olympics at some point in the far future. If this happens Judo is likely to give way. They already tried to do away with wrestling.
                    Judo was once considered the greatest grappling art, now not so much.

Its a desperate attempt to keep Judo relevant.

Now I think that most of us would agree that it is exactly the opposite of what they should be doing but hey what do we the plebeian masses know huh?

Comment

But Judo IS the best grappling art on Earth.

Comment

this is really short sighted and makes me very angry. seems likely to drive some top people out of judo.
                        "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
                        "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
                        "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
                        "Seriously, who gives a fuck what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Comment

Originally posted by ghost55 View Post
                          But Judo IS the best grappling art on Earth.
                          That is debatable.
                          Don't get me wrong Judo has all the right elements to be the best.
                          It has great takedowns and ground work that includes submissions but is missing leg, spine and compression locks.
                          Decreasing emphasis being placed on Ne Waza, and their wrestling defense being hampered by IBJ rules.

BJJ has a cultural problem with take downs but they are at least suppose to be in the syllabus.

Even at gyms of both arts that are trained 50/50 (takedowns/ground work).
                          I have to give it to BJJ still do to more of an emphasis on position and concept based grappling instead of technique based grappling.

Now that being said, I do believe for 90% of real life, having good take dows and take down defense is going to serve you better than having fancy ground work skills. As long as your ground work is sufficient enough to be practical.
                          So in that way Judo does win out for everyday use.

Of course the elphant in the room then is Wrestling.

Comment

Judo as a sport is 100% amateur only.
                            BJJ would love a good high paying professional sports circuit.

I think this amateur only approach to judo is hurting it.

Comment

I don't get it.
                              Modern sports is all about making money. The IJF has transitioned to a modern sport organization. So it's all about the money, on pimping Kodokan Judo out to make more and more money.

I see Goodlun explained the rather obscure pop culture reference...
                              Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X