Hilt choke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hilt choke

I was surfing a bit of YouTube and came across this hilt choke video. I was wondering what other HEMA guys on here think of this. The first thing that I thought about was, what about a dagger?? Wouldn't this choke make you somewhat vulnerable to a dagger in the ribs?? Also how effective would this choke be on a resisting opponent??

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hASAdb...H5funDNXywi40Q

Good position and a good squeeze and it's curtains before the opponent can compose himself enough to react.

In stick fights you could probably pull this off.

In the two hand sword duel also but if there would be daggers and no trustworthy body armor I would not try it.

In the medieval battlefield hardly. Except if you're suicidal.

It's an interesting technique and worth adding to the arsenal if you play this game I think.
    Last edited by Stickybomb; 11/15/2014 1:38pm, .

Comment

I'd use it as clinch work to either knee or trip the opponent, not an actual choke.

Comment

Uh - one note:

In an actual sword fight with a non-compliant opponent, you'd grab the blade instead of hilt in no time if you tried this.
        I'd still try it with a stick if the chance presented itself. ONLY with the stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarzis View Post
          I'd use it as clinch work to either knee or trip the opponent, not an actual choke.
          I thought about that as well, but I would worry about the position of the sword that it might cause a disarm during a trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickybomb View Post
            Uh - one note:

In an actual sword fight with a non-compliant opponent, you'd grab the blade instead of hilt in no time if you tried this.
            I'd still try it with a stick if the chance presented itself. ONLY with the stick.
            Do you mean using the blade against the opponents neck?? There is a similar move that uses a cross-guard lock where the blade is leveraged against the neck.

Comment

I'm talking about using real sword in a sparring situation - even with blunt blade it would be very uncomfortable if you'd miss the hilt and grab it.

Using the blade on the neck is what sword is - or was - for. It would be a bit idiotic to try to pull something like this if you wanted to efficiently and quickly kill your adversary - because without some sort of good armored glove you have a high percentage risk to cut off your fingers.

And it seems a bit of a waste in sparring, though an actual sword-fighter would be able to tell more about this. It seems very uncomfortable for the hand if you'd miss the hilt with one hand or go for the blade against neck except with a really really blunt blade shaped for grabbing...

But the choke itself looks efficient as hell. It's just really highly impractical if the situation was 'live'.

I almost bet some dog brother or such tried this already with a more appropriate tool.
              Last edited by Stickybomb; 11/15/2014 2:46pm, .

Comment

I'm talking about using real sword in a sparring situation - even with blunt blade it would be very uncomfortable if you'd miss the hilt and grab it.

Using the blade on the neck is what sword is - or was - for. It would be a bit idiotic to try to pull something like this if you wanted to efficiently and quickly kill your adversary - because without some sort of good armored glove you have a high percentage risk to cut off your fingers.
                And it seems a bit of a waste in sparring, though an actual sword-fighter would be able to tell more about this.

But the choke itself looks efficient as hell. It's just really highly impractical if the situation was 'live'.

I almost bet some dog brother or such tried this already with a more appropriate tool.
                I'm not really sure how someone would accidentally grab the blade with this kind of technique. Even if they did it's doubtful it would chop off fingers. I have half handed with bare hands plenty of times and still have all my digits.

Comment

Ah, you actually practice sword-fighting! Excellent. I'll just pull out and listen to anything you have to say about this. :-)

But really, I thought that grabbing even blunted sword's blade hard is not very comfortable for the hand and the captured person if he starts trying to get out. Thanks for clearing that.
                  Last edited by Stickybomb; 11/15/2014 3:00pm, .

Comment

Ah, you actually practice sword-fighting! Excellent. I'll just pull out and listen to anything you have to say about this. :-)

But really, I thought that grabbing even blunted sword's blade hard is not very comfortable for the hand and the captured person if he starts trying to get out. Thanks for clearing that.
                    I wouldn't say it's comfortable lol. It is possible to do bare handed, but gloved is obviously way better. I have half handed a sharp sword bare handed there's always the chance of a good cut, but they're not lightsabers. In an actual fight you would probably want a glove as struggling would cause a really nasty cut. This particular move though doesn't really have much of a chance for an accidental cut since the blade isn't anywhere near the part of the hilt that's being grabbed. And yes I do hema, but I must admit I don't do many chokes in my current routines. Basically I'm wondering if this is a technique worth practicing, or if it's too open to counters, daggers etc. to be worth the time.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                    X