Colds, Contagion, and Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colds, Contagion, and Training

Imagine if Hitler was more of a people person and turned his boundless void of volcanic hate-rage towards the common cold. He could have set fire to Europe and our hearts. But he selfishly did not do that. He ruined the Bellamy salute too, you know.

So anyway, after a mild bout of cold symptoms lasting several days, and a further intermission of two days, today felt like I'd had my groove returned with late fees; it was clearly time to get back to the gym. Or was it? While my reasoning was that the initial contagious period of two to three days had passed, it did occur that I may still have been contagious anyhow.

In such wise, can one know when best to resume training? If so, how?

You probably stopped being contagious a bit before your symptoms let up.

Comment

Its hard to say really, and most likely if you train as regularly as you should, you probably already passed on your germs before you where symtamatic anyways.
      That last statement isn't to encourage to go workout while sick but you know if your well enough to actually workout I wouldn't worry about it too much.
      Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
      –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Comment

I've read that people can still be contagious up to two weeks after they are sick, but I have no idea if it's true or not.
        I make it a policy to not come back until my symptoms are gone, anyway. Phlegm and knockdown aren't too compatible.

Comment

Interesting. My feeble understanding of pathogens tells me that it's pretty futile to spend a lot of energy preventing something as mundane as coming into contact with a cold virus. They're here to stay, target practice for the lymphocytes and all that.

I feel reassured. Thanks for the input everybody.

Comment

I missed a ranking because someone brought their plague-ridden kid to the dojo even though he was sick, and that sucked. Plus I ended up with pneumonia. I don't think I would have ended up exposed to that one if he hadn't been spraying germs everywhere in that enclosed space.

Comment

Originally posted by Evergrey View Post
              I missed a ranking because someone brought their plague-ridden kid to the dojo even though he was sick, and that sucked. Plus I ended up with pneumonia. I don't think I would have ended up exposed to that one if he hadn't been spraying germs everywhere in that enclosed space.
              Not to pull the whole blaming the victum thing but...
              Sorry Charlie but you can't blame the kid since you ended up with pneumonia from a common cold.
              I am going to assume you have a weakend immune system.
              Someone with a weak immune system you have to take special care to not touch your face and to wash your hands offten. To keep your sinuses and back of the throat clean.
              You can't really avoid the common cold its everywhere durning cold season. Especially since the common cold has about a 3 day prior to symptom incubation period.
              Also people can carry it without ever becoming symptomatic.
              While I agree it was very rude of the parent to bring the kid to class those germs where there anyways.
              Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.

Comment

Considering the method of transmission of colds (expelling via coughing, sneezing etc), it seems prudent to wait until you're done expelling before going back to training.

Getting sick from a training partner I can tell is sick pisses me off.

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
                  Not to pull the whole blaming the victum thing but...
                  Sorry Charlie but you can't blame the kid since you ended up with pneumonia from a common cold.
                  I am going to assume you have a weakend immune system.
                  Someone with a weak immune system you have to take special care to not touch your face and to wash your hands offten. To keep your sinuses and back of the throat clean.
                  You can't really avoid the common cold its everywhere durning cold season. Especially since the common cold has about a 3 day prior to symptom incubation period.
                  Also people can carry it without ever becoming symptomatic.
                  While I agree it was very rude of the parent to bring the kid to class those germs where there anyways.
                  It was H1N1, actually. And I tend to be obsessively clean.

Comment

Oh yeah some variants of the flu are particularly nasty, bringing a kid out with the flu is extremely rude.
                    Was the kid training or just at the dojo?
                    I can't imagine trying to train when I have the flu, fuck I wouldn't even want to train with the flu.

Comment

Originally posted by DARPAChief View Post
                      Interesting. My feeble understanding of pathogens tells me that it's pretty futile to spend a lot of energy preventing something as mundane as coming into contact with a cold virus. They're here to stay, target practice for the lymphocytes and all that.
                      Depends on what you train, really. In fact the more you are exposed to other people (sweat, blood, etc) the more effort you should probably spend on antimicrobials...

For BJJ I use a special soap...for kung fu a 200+ year old tincture of gin and herbs.

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
                        Oh yeah some variants of the flu are particularly nasty, bringing a kid out with the flu is extremely rude.
                        Was the kid training or just at the dojo?
                        I can't imagine trying to train when I have the flu, fuck I wouldn't even want to train with the flu.
                        Normally he trained, but his grandparents forced his father to bring the kid along, claiming he was just faking it, or wasn't "that sick."
                        Dickbags.
                        The father didn't want to bring his kid but was staying with his parents so he felt he didn't have a choice, heh!

Comment

I know a really hearty 30 year old who almost died like that, H1N1 -> pneumonia.

Training symptomatic or going to public places you don't have to when you're sick is asshole behavior.
                          No one wants your snot on them or you sneezing nearby, even if you're not contagious.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X