Clear All

Originally posted by TwentyThree View Post
    UPDATE - via email TODAY:

Sent: 24 November 2014 18:37
    To: Michael Kirk
    Cc: Dyer, Pat
    Subject: Ralph Hall

Hello Mike,

Just wanted to give you an update reference Ralph Hall. On 11-20-14 I along with his probation officer completed a house check at his registered address. During our contact with Ralph, we determined he had violated the conditions of his probation. He was arrested for the violations and is currently in custody at the Washoe County Detention Facility.

For information, I never received the original e-mail you sent to me. I’m guessing the e-mail address was incorrect.

Have a good day,

Detective Laura Thomsen
    Regional Sex Offender Unit
    Whew, that's a relief...

Comment

Yup...the POS is back in custody. I don't know what the parole violation is but who cares? He's back where he belongs.

Comment

Originally posted by FinalLegion View Post
        Yup...the POS is back in custody. I don't know what the parole violation is but who cares? He's back where he belongs.
        It's a probation violation, as he served all his time. Parole is for people who were released from prison early (usually after the determinant part of their sentence was completed).

I just realized that if he finished all his time, he would not be on probation. May have more to do with sex offender supervision than true probation.

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
          I just realized that if he finished all his time, he would not be on probation.
          Depends on how he was sentenced. People do get both.

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
            It's a probation violation, as he served all his time. Parole is for people who were released from prison early (usually after the determinant part of their sentence was completed).

I just realized that if he finished all his time, he would not be on probation. May have more to do with sex offender supervision than true probation.
            Yeah, I misspoke myself there. I read 'probation' but was thinking 'parole'. My bad on that.

Comment

Here is the difference between parole and probation, at least in Connecticut.

Let's say someone receives a sentence of 12 years, execution suspended after 5 years, with 10 years on probation.

When you are released on parole, you are still controlled by the department of correction as if you are still doing your prison sentence. So if you violate your parole you get tried by a group of correction officers and or parole officers, who look for substantial evidence that you violated the conditions of your parole. Substantial evidence is less then 50%, its so low, that an appearance that you are in violation is enough to send you back. You are going to be doing whatever time is left on the five years from which you were released early.

So you go back to prison and serve your full five. Then you get put on probation with 7 remaining years hanging over your head if you violate your probation. The probation department in CT is different from the parole office, and the standard for a probation violation is that it is more likely then not that you committed the act(s) that would violate your probation, such as failing a drug test, failing to report to your Probation Officer, or committing a new criminal offense. You could actually be found not guilty of a crime, and still found to have violated your parole, because the standard of proof is different, plus, you don't get a jury trial for a VOP hearing.

So now if you violate probation, they can watch over you for the next 10 years, and keep you in prison for up to 7 of those years. for any VOP you commit.

If Ralph was convicted in Georgia, it appears they transferred his probation to Nevada. Unless of course he left Georgia without permission of his probation officer, which is a VOP.

Comment

Originally posted by It is Fake View Post
                Depends on how he was sentenced. People do get both.
                So probation is what you get INSTEAD of prison. Prison sentence is suspended, go on probation. Maybe do a "rider" first, do well, get probation.

Sentenced to 2 - 5 years, let's say. That's 2 years determinate, 3 years indeterminate. So you have to do 2 years, then are eligible for parole. Doesn't mean you get paroled, but are eligible.

I THINK that Hall did his entire 5 year sentence. So he wasn't paroled, and would not be on probation. Not in Idaho at least. You serve your full term, you are done, no supervision (other than sex offender registration, for example). Other states may vary.

In any case, he's in jail, which is a very, very good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Browning View Post
                  Here is the difference between parole and probation, at least in Connecticut.

Let's say someone receives a sentence of 12 years, execution suspended after 5 years, with 10 years on probation.

When you are released on parole, you are still controlled by the department of correction as if you are still doing your prison sentence. So if you violate your parole you get tried by a group of correction officers and or parole officers, who look for substantial evidence that you violated the conditions of your parole. Substantial evidence is less then 50%, its so low, that an appearance that you are in violation is enough to send you back. You are going to be doing whatever time is left on the five years from which you were released early.

So you go back to prison and serve your full five. Then you get put on probation with 7 remaining years hanging over your head if you violate your probation. The probation department in CT is different from the parole office, and the standard for a probation violation is that it is more likely then not that you committed the act(s) that would violate your probation, such as failing a drug test, failing to report to your Probation Officer, or committing a new criminal offense. You could actually be found not guilty of a crime, and still found to have violated your parole, because the standard of proof is different, plus, you don't get a jury trial for a VOP hearing.

So now if you violate probation, they can watch over you for the next 10 years, and keep you in prison for up to 7 of those years. for any VOP you commit.

If Ralph was convicted in Georgia, it appears they transferred his probation to Nevada. Unless of course he left Georgia without permission of his probation officer, which is a VOP.
                  Doesn't work exactly like that in Idaho, in terms of probation vs parole terminology. Once you are in prison, you serve your determinate sentence, then can get paroled. Probation is for people who have not had prison sentence imposed.

He's in jail on a PV, which is great !

Comment

Originally posted by FinalLegion View Post
                    Yeah, I misspoke myself there. I read 'probation' but was thinking 'parole'. My bad on that.
                    Maybe not, Georgia and Nevada may be different than Idaho, in fact, probably are.

He's in jail, that's good.

Comment

In Connecticut, it is very common for people to be sentenced to both prison, with probation afterward. I do not know how Georgia runs its penal system.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Browning View Post
                        In Connecticut, it is very common for people to be sentenced to both prison, with probation afterward. I do not know how Georgia runs its penal system.
                        Interesting, in Idaho if you do all your time, you are free, rights are automatically restored except for gun rights in some types of crimes. A fairly long list at that.

Sounds like he was under some sort of supervision other than sex offender registry out of Georgia.

Comment

Ralph Hall is out

Ralph Hall is out and has been for a while. He seems to be continuing with his tales, but keeping a low profile otherwise.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X