Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aikido for beginner

Hey guys,
    Apologies if this is in the wrong sub forum, this will be my first time posting here and I'm basically just wondering if you could give me some advice.
    I've been doing kickboxing for a while now and want to add a grappling art to my repertoire.
    Initially I thought of doing Judo but there is nowhere anywhere near where I live that teaches it, same goes for BJJ.
    The only option seems to be Aikido... which I've heard plenty of not so great things about.
    My question is, would it be worth it training in Aikido? I have no other knowledge of grappling so I was wondering if it would be better than nothing, or if it would just be a big waste of time and money.

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by Archbishop View Post
    Hey guys,
    Apologies if this is in the wrong sub forum, this will be my first time posting here and I'm basically just wondering if you could give me some advice.
    I've been doing kickboxing for a while now and want to add a grappling art to my repertoire.
    Initially I thought of doing Judo but there is nowhere anywhere near where I live that teaches it, same goes for BJJ.
    The only option seems to be Aikido... which I've heard plenty of not so great things about.
    My question is, would it be worth it training in Aikido? I have no other knowledge of grappling so I was wondering if it would be better than nothing, or if it would just be a big waste of time and money.

Thanks in advance
    don't give up until you've also explored Wrestling, Japanese jiu-jitsu (find a good school, there are plenty of bad ones too)shuai jiao(chinese wrestling, check out the local kung fu schools to see if they do this).

There's also some throwing in sanshou, so even through it's primarily a striking ruleset it will probably teach you better grappling than aikido. the rest is pretty much the same as kickboxing. sanshou and shuai jiao don't have a ground component as far as I know, but then neither does aikido.

Failing all that, try aikido and see how you like it. If you enjoy it a lot, it won't be a waste of your time. If it is at all annoying to you or feels kind of neutral, don't bother.

EDIT: don't forget to drop by Newbietown to give us your full story and introduction

Welcome to Bullshido!
    Last edited by Guird; 11/06/2014 2:57am, .

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely look into that. Turns out there's a traditional jiu jitsu school quite close to me, so I'll try it out and see how it goes!
      Like I said I have no knowledge of grappling so I would have no real idea how to tell a good school from a bad one, is there anything really obvious I should watch out for?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bullshido - No BS MMA mobile app

Comment

Thanks for the reply!
        I'll make a post there as soon as I get the chance :D

Well it turns out there is a traditional jiu jitsu school fairly close to me so I will definitely give it a shot, like I said though I'm new to grappling so I don't really know the difference between a good school and a bad one, is there anything really obvious I should watch out for?

Comment

i really don't think that even a good aikido dojo is going to teach you much about grappling, and i practice aikido (a little.)
          "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
          "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
          "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
          "Seriously, who gives a fuck what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Comment

Where do you live? I can not conceive of anyplace in North America that has neither judo or BJJ in the general area. Maybe somebody can point you towards a place you missed.
            "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Originally posted by strikistanian
            DROP SEIONAGI MOTHERFUCKER! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
            Originally posted by Devil
            Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
            Originally posted by Plasma
            At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
            Originally posted by SoulMechanic
            Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.

Comment

I live in the middle of nowhere in northern Ireland, the nearest place that does bjj is like an hour drive away

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bullshido - No BS MMA mobile app

Comment

From an avid aikido guy, I would echo that it's probably not something you're looking for.

You don't have to do BJJ, good ole fashioned Japanese jujitsu is great as well, though at this point there's almost certainly more BJJ schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Archbishop View Post
                  My question is, would it be worth it training in Aikido?
                  Probably not.

Comment

In Aikido you will learn rolls and maybe breakfalls.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone, I did some more searching and found a greco roman (I think) wrestling place not too far from me, as well as a traditional jiu jitsu school.
                      Like I said I have no experience in grappling so I'm not really sure what to watch out for in terms of a bad school etc.

Either of these are potential options so if anyone could shed some light on the pros and cons of each I'd be really, really appreciative!
                      Also what would wrestling be like in terms of self defense? That's not the primary reason I want to learn grappling but it is something I'm taking into consideration.

Comment

Aikido is for pussies. Don't do Aikido, unless you are a pussy.
                        Dan Severn loves raping people.

Comment

Aikido for beginner

Originally posted by Holy Moment View Post
                          Aikido is for pussies. Don't do Aikido, unless you are a pussy.
                          I do aikido and I'm not a pussy. In fact we only have one pussy in our aikido class.

Comment

Don't do aikido as your intro to grappling - if you do, you won't really understand grappling. If you go to an aikido class and they say they can teach you grappling, they are probably confused.
                            If you want to learn grappling, look harder for judo / wrestling derivatives. Judo is so widespread there is something bound to be nearby. Maybe they just don't advertise.
                            On the other hand, if you want to learn aikido for it's own sake (whatever you think that is), go for it.

(Source: dan grades in aikido)

Comment

I've always subscribed to the theory that Aikido is a superset of Judo.

So look around for Judo, give us your location and what means of transport you've got and maybe one of us can find a Judo place nearby.

After obtaining your 1st dan grade in Judo, take than a look at Aikido if you are still interested in doing Aikido.
                              You will appreciate the Aikido and Aikido principles more with such a background, but I would suggest to not drop Judo. Train both arts side by side by then.

Hope this helps.
                              Originally posted by Jiujitsu77
                              You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
                              Originally posted by Humanzee
                              ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
                              Originally posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
                              It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
                              The real deadly:

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X