• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I got into a sword fight on a rooftop in Hong Kong

True story. Look:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiRP...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTQfrTE2YFQ

I met up with the awesomely named Lancelot Chan who runs RSW (http://www.rsw.com.hk/), and me and some of his guys did some sparring on the roof of his building. Good stuff.

Apparently Lancelot knows some sword guys in Shanghai and Beijing, so hopefully there will be more videos coming.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Is it an interesting story how you got the chain mail through Customs ?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

I've gotten a sword through before (to be fair it was leaving and not entering). The trick is to pretend that it isn't anything important, and then the customs guys will decide it isn't worth the effort.

Comment

Lance has been around a long time, I've never been a huge fan of what they do but they are having fun. He gets discussed a bit on this long thread from KW, along with a whole HEMA vs kendo comparision. Some of the Schola Gladiatora folks and other WMA types are in there too, it's an interesting read.

Comment

Dan Severn loves raping people.

Comment

Looks like fun, although their sparring gear/format seems a little odd. I'm actually planning on doing a little cross-training with our local HEMA group this weekend, myself.

Comment

Was the longsword guy supposed to be so slow and telegraphed??

Comment

Originally posted by NeilG View Post
                Lance has been around a long time, I've never been a huge fan of what they do but they are having fun. He gets discussed a bit on this long thread from KW, along with a whole HEMA vs kendo comparision. Some of the Schola Gladiatora folks and other WMA types are in there too, it's an interesting read.
                I read through that, quite interesting for sure.

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
                  Was the longsword guy supposed to be so slow and telegraphed??
                  He just sucks, basically.

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                    Is it an interesting story how you got the chain mail through Customs ?
                    Not really; as it turns out, TSA has very rigorous regulations about weapons, but none about armor. Someday, I'm going to go through security in a full suit of late medieval plate armor.
                    The fool thinks himself immortal,
                    If he hold back from battle;
                    But old age will grant him no truce,
                    Even if spears spare him.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
                      Not really; as it turns out, TSA has very rigorous regulations about weapons, but none about armor. Someday, I'm going to go through security in a full suit of late medieval plate armor.
                      Please video that I'm sure it would be hilarious...TSA taking your toothpaste and letting you wear full armor onto a plane.

True story, I knew a guy who had a full set of plate armor. He used to wear it while walking around town. His favorite was to hitchhike...next was to go into a bar and order a drink.

Try it wearing a ballistic vest first, though, with a bandolier of bottles loaded with shampoo, toothpaste, nail clippers, etc.

Comment

It's fun because it looks like a fighting game with bad animations in slow-motion.

Comment

what do you think?

I thought that it would be fun to make a thread describing the styles we have trained in, as well as our favorite aspect of each style. Feel free to include as much as you want, opinion, video, typical day training, etc. Hopefully this thread will end up being a good eye opening discussion about our experiences in the martial arts, finding similarities in our training, etc.

I'll go first. I have only trained in Hapkido, so it is currently my favorite martial art. Hapkido is a Hybrid Korean martial art that includes strikes, grappling, kicks, weapons, etc. The starting focus is grab defense, which later translates to punch, kick, weapon, and ground defense. I started training because I wanted to learn self defense. My favorite part of the art is joint locks, as very little pressure and muscle is needed once the lock is set to restrain an opponent.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DARPAChief View Post
                              Still one of my favorite fighting games of all time

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X