Looking for something similar to Okinawan Kenpo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for something similar to Okinawan Kenpo

I've been a long time lurker on Bullshido, but I haven't posted much. Still, I've found this site to be a valuable resource.

After taking an unfortunately long hiatus from martial arts, I'm interested in getting back into it again.

I've been trying to find something similar to a style I studied before, Okinawan Kenpo. I know there is A LOT of "Ke?po" out there, so I'll try to clarify a bit.

I studied under Kyoshi Richard Myers at the Kaneohe Dojo, back in 2002-2005 while I was in the Marine Corps. I really enjoyed it.

Here's a old handout from the school the explains a few things:

h*ttp://bradsdomain.com/OKKKD/Okinawa%20Kenpo%20Information%20Guide.pdf

This particular style of Karate/Kenpo seems rather rare outside of Hawaii, so I'm fairly certain I'd have to swap to something else while living here in Oregon. I was thinking maybe Shotokan might be close, but I'm honestly not sure.

I could use some guidance and/or advice.

Welcome to bullshido! I'd see whats available in your area and what classes fit your schedule and what you can afford. This will probably narrow down what style you can take quite a bit, unless you're lucky enough to have a lot in your area. That being said you also have to consider what your goals are in training? Do you just want something interesting to do? Fitness and conditioning? Fighting/self defense ability? In my experience karate can differ widely in quality and practicality of instruction. If you just want something to do and don't care about fighting ability or conditioning Karate is probably fine. IF you want some self defense ability Kyokushin Karate is worth looking for. I can't say much for other Karate styles, I've met some Goju guys that were pretty tough but i'm not sure if that's the norm. As and FMA guy I always encourage potential martial artists to check out the Filipino Martial Arts systems Arnis,Kali, and Eskrima are generic terms for a multitude of systems and are worth checking out too.

Comment

Thanks. Sadly, there isn't much around my general area, unless I go for a bit of a drive (which might be something I have to do). My goals are generally fitness, conditioning, and some self defense. I'm not really interested in tournaments or the sport aspect (I suppose that might change sometime). While I really enjoy Okinawan Kenpo, I'm open to looking at other styles. I used to do Kajukenbo in the past.

I know there is one major Kyokushin school in Oregon (Ito Dojo), but it's around the Tigard/Beaverton area, which is a bit too far for me to go to. I've heard Steele's Karate in Salem isn't bad, but I haven't checked it out yet.

In Monmouth, there is really only a place that does a blend of American Kenpo, TKD, and Jiu-Jitsu, (been there before, didn't' seem too bad) or an "American Schools of Shaolin Kempo" (which didn't really mesh well with me) place.

There is a MMA guy I occasionally train with, but I think he's just looking for someone to be his punching bag, rather than to do mutual training with. He's pretty good though.

I hadn't even heard of Arnis or Kali until I played Shadowrun. I thought Kali was that God who wanted that Molarahm guy from Indiana Jones to rip people's hearts out. :-P

I'll keep an eye out though.

Comment

http://dojos.info/Oregon/Monmouth/

Looks like most of the places around you are in Salem?

Since you most likely are not going to find exactly what your looking for may I suggest you broaden your horizons and go and check out this place.

http://www.skbjj.com/index.php

You maybe tempted by a place like this one here
        http://akeadojo.com/
        but this list of things they will teach you always raises a few red flags in my mind
        Speed hitting/kicking
        Self motivation and confidence
        Practical self defense
        Awareness training
        Stress management
        Time management
        Mental development
        Self control
        Greater self esteem

You may want to take a gander at
        http://www.salembudokai.com/Salem_Budokai/home.html
        They should at least be cheap but if you where going to go this route
        probably better off just going to
        http://www.skbjj.com/index.php
        Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
        –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Comment

Thanks!

Awesome, thank you for the advice. I'll go check them out. My grappling is rather poor these days, but it has always been something I would like to improve on.

I had another reply to this thread, but I think it got eaten up in the process somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by vaneheart View Post
            Awesome, thank you for the advice. I'll go check them out. My grappling is rather poor these days, but it has always been something I would like to improve on.

I had another reply to this thread, but I think it got eaten up in the process somewhere.
            Well good luck finding a gym that has the right atmosphere and is other wise solid can be a bit tough at times. Especially in smaller communities. If grappling appeals to you it is hard to go wrong with a BJJ place that has a decent enough lineage.
            One could be hard pressed to do much better then
            Rafael Lovato Junior Black Belt especially if they spent any significant amount of time training with Xande and Saulo Ribeiro.
            Of course with that lineage it is going to be a pretty sport BJJ heavy school.
            That just means at least the stuff they teach is being pressure tested in a pure grappling context.
            Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
            –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
            X