Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forget "Do Judo"; Do Tai Chi!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Forget "Do Judo"; Do Tai Chi!

    The Bullshido axiom "Do Judo" has been proven wrong once and for all...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

    #2
    that's hilarious. i wonder why he didn't go to tokai, or the kodokan? could it be that chinese judoka might be more willing to play along with this?

    he obviously has a lot of skill (aka teh r34l) but i notice that the judoka didn't get grips on his jacket, *or* try to stop him from getting his preferred grips (when's the last time you got an underhook on a resisting, skilled judoka?)

    also throwing someone face down may be a "win" under tai chi push hands rules, but getting a judoka to post an arm isn't really a "win" in my book.

    this kind of thing is very disappointing to me, and is what is holding back CMA in my opinion. there is *so much* ego among CMA people, they cannot even entertain the thought that they might have something to learn from other arts, they are fully caught up in the "CMA=the best" mentality and it's crippling the development of martial arts in china.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a fuck what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
      that's hilarious. i wonder why he didn't go to tokai, or the kodokan? could it be that chinese judoka might be more willing to play along with this?

      he obviously has a lot of skill (aka teh r34l) but i notice that the judoka didn't get grips on his jacket, *or* try to stop him from getting his preferred grips (when's the last time you got an underhook on a resisting, skilled judoka?)

      also throwing someone face down may be a "win" under tai chi push hands rules, but getting a judoka to post an arm isn't really a "win" in my book.

      this kind of thing is very disappointing to me, and is what is holding back CMA in my opinion. there is *so much* ego among CMA people, they cannot even entertain the thought that they might have something to learn from other arts, they are fully caught up in the "CMA=the best" mentality and it's crippling the development of martial arts in china.
      The judoka looked kind of amused to me, and was going along with the show.

      I don't consider being "rooted" to mean leaning heavily and spreading my legs into jigotai an opponent who is trying to pull me forward.

      Not sure if Ouchi or Kouchi Gari are used in China or not...
      Falling for Judo since 1980

      "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

      "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

      "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
        this kind of thing is very disappointing to me, and is what is holding back CMA in my opinion. there is *so much* ego among CMA people, they cannot even entertain the thought that they might have something to learn from other arts, they are fully caught up in the "CMA=the best" mentality and it's crippling the development of martial arts in china.
        It's a rare individual that wants to mix things up and do things differently anywhere, but in my experience there's a considerable degree of regimentation in Japanese Judo schools, and it's there in BJJ/MMA as well. At the core it just looks like the Confucian education model to me.

        That notwithstanding, isn't Qing-era peacetime and the subsequent marketing of CMA what's poisoned the well, so to speak? There's ego enough on all sides, but China had to endure that, the warlords, and the cultural revolution one after another...
        Last edited by DARPAChief; 9/05/2014 11:31pm, .

        Comment


          #5
          You probably could do it the same way any good wrestler does it by just having an image ability to respond well and counter what they are trying to do.

          If he is doing it. I don't know.

          Eat steak lift tai chi.
          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp89JK-uH0k
          Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
          http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

          Comment


            #6
            You probably could do it the same way any good wrestler does it by just having an inate ability to respond well and counter what they are trying to do.

            If he is doing it. I don't know.

            Eat steak lift tai chi.
            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp89JK-uH0k
            Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
            http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by gregaquaman View Post
              You probably could do it the same way any good wrestler does it by just having an inate ability to respond well and counter what they are trying to do.

              If he is doing it. I don't know.

              Eat steak lift tai chi.
              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp89JK-uH0k
              If the big guy would slide is left arm in and get double underhooks he could probably launch the Tai Chi dude through the roof.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by ghost55 View Post
                If the big guy would slide is left arm in and get double underhooks he could probably launch the Tai Chi dude through the roof.
                I thought he could do it with the one underhook if he dropped his center a bit to deepen his grasp, maybe grab the jacket at the opposite shoulder. He might have been making a point of not muscling the guy.
                "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

                Originally posted by strikistanian
                DROP SEIONAGI MOTHERFUCKER! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
                Originally posted by Devil
                Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
                Originally posted by Plasma
                At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
                Originally posted by SoulMechanic
                Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
                  I thought he could do it with the one underhook if he dropped his center a bit to deepen his grasp, maybe grab the jacket at the opposite shoulder. He might have been making a point of not muscling the guy.
                  But the entire point was to demostrate the Tai-Chi guy's ability to overome a far stronger opponent...

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by ghost55 View Post
                    But the entire point was to demostrate the Tai-Chi guy's ability to overome a far stronger opponent...
                    That was the tai chi guy's point, at least when he got around to captioning the video. The judoka may have been comparing techniques/grappling ability.
                    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

                    Originally posted by strikistanian
                    DROP SEIONAGI MOTHERFUCKER! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
                    Originally posted by Devil
                    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
                    Originally posted by Plasma
                    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
                    Originally posted by SoulMechanic
                    Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
                      That was the tai chi guy's point, at least when he got around to captioning the video. The judoka may have been comparing techniques/grappling ability.
                      I was referring to the weight lifter.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by ghost55 View Post
                        If the big guy would slide is left arm in and get double underhooks he could probably launch the Tai Chi dude through the roof.
                        Yeah but there is a game and counter game. (Wizzer his way out) I know some wrestlers that will just sit there like bedrock. They just know exactly where to be to fuck you up.
                        Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
                        http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by BKR View Post
                          The Bullshido axiom "Do Judo" has been proven wrong once and for all...
                          You know, I saw this video months ago and almost posted it to BS, but the TC guy's attitude just sucked, and sucked a lot.

                          Good display of strong legwork, a tenet of Southern CMA, and extremely valuable against Judo or BJJ players.

                          Bad display of mo duk, martial etiquette.

                          Summary:

                          Judoka: "Our arts are so similar, let's share ideas!"

                          TC: "Ah! Now, I must defeat you".

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by DARPAChief View Post
                            It's a rare individual that wants to mix things up and do things differently anywhere, but in my experience there's a considerable degree of regimentation in Japanese Judo schools, and it's there in BJJ/MMA as well. At the core it just looks like the Confucian education model to me.

                            That notwithstanding, isn't Qing-era peacetime and the subsequent marketing of CMA what's poisoned the well, so to speak? There's ego enough on all sides, but China had to endure that, the warlords, and the cultural revolution one after another...
                            i'm not getting your point. here's mine:

                            when MMA came to japan, and people saw how effective it was, they trained it. BJJ and MMA became very popular in japan, and they have produced some spectacular fighters. sure there were some people who got upset, and claimed that the rules were holding them back, but in general the culture in japan is to embrace new things if they are proven better.

                            china seems, for the most part, more interested in saving face than gaining new skills, so rigging the contest is far more popular there. muay thai fighters are beating chinese fighters? let's have fights in china with skewed rules and judging to assure a chinese victory. make crazy claims that sanda has no connection to muay thai, etc.

                            it's *pathetic* and is sad coming from a culture which achieved so much before throwing 90% of it away during the cultural revolution.
                            "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
                            "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
                            "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
                            "Seriously, who gives a fuck what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Tai Chi vs Bjj (Marcelo Garcia)

                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F75huga-Zz4

                              Marcelo Garcia and Tuishou Chen Do Karate-do

                              its a video of i think a chen tai chi guy vs well Marcelo Garcia.

                              He actually does alright considering it is marcelo grarcia

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X