Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introducing: Me

Hi everyone, long time lurker here.

I've been studying martial arts for about five years now, and I'm absolutely terrible.

The first four years were spent in a shotokan karate dojo. Not the point-sparring kind, no point sparring would have improved the quality of the training tenfold. No sparring, no pads, no bags. Kata, poorly trained 5 or 3 or 1 step kumite, kihon done in absolutely useless combinations, and terrible bunkai.

I don't get the impression there was anything wrong with the atmosphere there, yet I left it incredibly arrogant (t3h d34dly, this IS and this ISN'T real martial arts, too deadly to spar etc.). This was promptly remedied when I got 'punched', 'kicked', and thrown repeatedly and frequently at a point karate dojo and endlessly kicked around at a WTF taekwondo place. I realised that at no point while getting my ass kicked would I be able to land the almighty Nukite(*disclaimer* not actually almighty. I am not responsible for you breaking your own fingers). It didn't immediately convert me to aliveness, but it taught me humility and instilled the first glimmer of MA skepticism.

then follows a year of hopping between point karate, taekwondo, aikido, krav maga, wing chun, boxing, kickboxing, JJJ. After that I bumped into another shotokan dojo. This one was far better than my previous one, and I'll admit it: I enjoy kata, and doing training shotokan kata was somehow very comforting. while the sparring was WKF point sparring, they weren't very strict on the more irritating rules. So I trained there for about eight months and it was far better than my first shotokan experience. I knew the training wasn't very good self-defense wise, but I didn't care much.

I started cross-training regularly in kickboxing, and BJJ a little while later. I eventually stopped doing karate because it was holding back my kickboxing. Kickboxing was closer and I figured I'd better take beatings while I'm still young enough for it. I've also been training with a group that gets together to learn MMA. that's how it's been for about six months. factor in that two of those were on holiday and that my attendance is somewhat irregular, and you might see why I suck. Or maybe I'm just uncoordinated, doesn't really matter.

I recently took up JJJ as well, and liking it a lot so far.

Sorry for the long post. looking forward to the adventures of Bullshido.net

Welcome to Bullshido
    I thought I spelled it wrong, but as I said I'm a mechanic not an English professor.

Comment

Welcome to Bullshido. Glad you found a better place to train.

Comment

Kickboxing + BJJ = winnah.

Welcome to Bullshido.

Comment

Originally posted by People View Post

Welcome to Bullshido.
          Thanks, all.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
          X