Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About me - heart deficient tai-chi-chuan noob.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About me - heart deficient tai-chi-chuan noob.

Hello folks,

I'm a new reader of the forums (and a new-ish practitioner of martial arts).
    I'm 30, out of shape, and almost one year out of a serious heart infection (from causes unknown) that morphed into a pulmonary oedema. After my two weeks in urgent cardiac care, I had to do physical therapy for rehabilitation, and I've taken up some cardio work since (some light jogging).
    A few months ago, I decided to look around and find a martial art to supplement my cardio work - I couldn't do anything too intense (because my heart couldn't keep up), so I went to a few tai-chi classes. I found some stupid teachers and (what seems to be) a good one, so I signed on (I officially got the all-clear from my cardiologist last month).

We learn a form, the martial applications of the techniques, and do some tuishou. He also has an advanced student that learned a sword form. There's no sparring, apparently because of the lack of demand - but he wants to start a wudang boxing class next month.
    From what I can see, he doesn't subscribe to some of the common bullshit about taichi, and when we do tuishou or some light drilling, he feels (to my untrained senses) very rooted and competent.

He's studied under master Wang Wei Guo, who studied under master Gu Lisheng, who was a disciple of Yang Shao Hou. It's apparently a not-so-common lineage, and I haven't been able to find a lot of information about master Wang Wei Guo on the web - except for some of his students websites (now teaching).

Anyway, I'm here to learn, and I'm not easily bruised, so I hope I can stay around for some time.

Welcome to Bullshido.
    I thought I spelled it wrong, but as I said I'm a mechanic not an English professor.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan_Faber View Post
      Hello folks,

I'm a new reader of the forums (and a new-ish practitioner of martial arts).
      I'm 30, out of shape, and almost one year out of a serious heart infection (from causes unknown) that morphed into a pulmonary oedema. After my two weeks in urgent cardiac care, I had to do physical therapy for rehabilitation, and I've taken up some cardio work since (some light jogging).
      A few months ago, I decided to look around and find a martial art to supplement my cardio work - I couldn't do anything too intense (because my heart couldn't keep up), so I went to a few tai-chi classes. I found some stupid teachers and (what seems to be) a good one, so I signed on (I officially got the all-clear from my cardiologist last month).

We learn a form, the martial applications of the techniques, and do some tuishou. He also has an advanced student that learned a sword form. There's no sparring, apparently because of the lack of demand - but he wants to start a wudang boxing class next month.
      From what I can see, he doesn't subscribe to some of the common bullshit about taichi, and when we do tuishou or some light drilling, he feels (to my untrained senses) very rooted and competent.

He's studied under master Wang Wei Guo, who studied under master Gu Lisheng, who was a disciple of Yang Shao Hou. It's apparently a not-so-common lineage, and I haven't been able to find a lot of information about master Wang Wei Guo on the web - except for some of his students websites (now teaching).

Anyway, I'm here to learn, and I'm not easily bruised, so I hope I can stay around for some time.
      Will you eventually recover fully from your illness? Or at least get back close to normal cardiac function and capacity?

Welcome to Bullshido too !
      Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Welcome to Bullshido

Comment

Welcome to Bullshido!

Comment

Welcome.

Is this it?

Comment

I'm 30, out of shape, and almost one year out of a serious heart infection (from causes unknown) that morphed into a pulmonary oedema.
              I have to admit to some disappointment. When you started your post with "heart deficient", I thought it meant you were heartless. No, it's okay, I'll get over it.

Welcome anyway ...

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                Will you eventually recover fully from your illness? Or at least get back close to normal cardiac function and capacity?

I'm supposed to have recovered fully by my cardiologist's standards. When I got out of the hospital, my heart's ejection fraction was at about 25% (which is a "get better or you'll get a pacemaker" level). PT helped a lot, and I was at 60% last month, that is 8 months later. 60% is within the normal range. So apparently I'm back a normal cardiac function, but now I need to continue training to get my heart to a level where I can actually do sports without getting too high in BPMs.
                When running a bit, I can control my heart rate, but whenever I train, for example, a particular technique with intensity (like brush knee), it gets out of control.

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
                Welcome.

Is this it?
                Yes, it looks like the first part of the form I'm learning. My teacher keeps telling me not to try to learn the complete form yet (so I'm not really positive if it's exactly the same), but it begins the same. Right now I'm learning individual parts of the form and trying to do them as perfectly as possible (brush knee, repulse monkey, catch the sparrow's tail, etc), and I follow along the more advanced students when they do the whole form without trying to remember it all.
                (huuh.. and the guy performing doesn't look that steady, but what do I know).

Chili Pepper, frenchie88, Permalost, slamdunc : thanks for the welcome.

Comment

Not sure if my earlier post went through or got stuck somewhere, so here it is again.

Originally posted by BKR View Post

I'm supposed to have recovered fully by my cardiologist's standards. When I got out of the hospital, my heart's ejection fraction was at about 25% (which is a "get better or you'll get a pacemaker" level). PT helped a lot, and I was at 60% last month, that is 8 months later. 60% is within the normal range. So apparently I'm back a normal cardiac function, but now I need to continue training to get my heart to a level where I can actually do sports without getting too high in BPMs.
                  When running a bit, I can control my heart rate, but whenever I train, for example, a particular technique with intensity (like brush knee), it gets out of control.

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
                  Welcome.

Is this it?
                  Yes, it looks like the first part of the form I'm learning. My teacher keeps telling me not to try to learn the complete form yet (so I'm not really positive if it's exactly the same), but it begins the same. Right now I'm learning individual parts of the form and trying to do them as perfectly as possible (brush knee, repulse monkey, catch the sparrow's tail, etc), and I should follow along the more advanced students when they do the whole form without trying to remember it all.

Comment

Welcome aboard!

Comment

Not sure if my earlier post went through or got stuck somewhere, so here it is again.

Yes, it looks like the first part of the form I'm learning. My teacher keeps telling me not to try to learn the complete form yet (so I'm not really positive if it's exactly the same), but it begins the same. Right now I'm learning individual parts of the form and trying to do them as perfectly as possible (brush knee, repulse monkey, catch the sparrow's tail, etc), and I should follow along the more advanced students when they do the whole form without trying to remember it all.

Glad to hear you were not apparently permanently damaged. Keep working on your base level of fitness !
                      Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X