Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One more reason to work at Google

http://www.bjjee.com/featured/google...h-bjj-classes/

The point of offering all these perks on campus are to make working long hours and practically living at work bearable. Many employees sometimes work 16 hours days for months..
    The BJJ training was taught by Milton Bastos from Institute of Martial Arts in California.
    The idea was for the employees to benefit from all the positive aspects of BJJ training: self defense, fitness, stress relief, weight loss, social interaction, camarederie etc..

This is something every big company should do.

So now that they have taken over the innernets, they are training an army of elite fighters. That will probably turn out fine.

Comment

Many employees sometimes work 16 hours days for months..
      16 hour days, poor babies. A double shift is something people pull all the time, outside of Goodle.

Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
      So now that they have taken over the innernets, they are training an army of elite fighters. That will probably turn out fine.
      Bullshit. I guarantee you many will enter, even more will leave.

I take BJJ in Princeton, they have a Plasma Physics lab right down the road from one of the best Greek delis in the world. Does Google have a PPL???

Hmm maybe the do, I don't know.

Comment

So, keyboard warriors.... like for real?

"I'm a 3rd stripe purple belt under google bjj"

Comment

Double leg -> side control -> I feel Lucky

Comment

I love using the "search" bar submission

Or for the screaming brazilians at the tournaments "barra de pesquisa!"

Comment

They could rename the triangle the "ctrl+alt+delete."

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
                16 hour days, poor babies. A double shift is something people pull all the time, outside of Goodle.
                Double shifts for months? No, that's not the norm outside of Google, and it definitely messes you up.

I did 14 hour days for weeks at a time and I was in horrible shape.

Although I suspect the Googlers get the occasional weekend off.

Comment

Every place I have ever worked has been to damn cheap to pay the overtime for a double shift and when ever I have been salaried I have always managed to be able to do all my work in a 4-8 hour day with only the occasional long day as needed typically cause other fuckers failed to do their job right.
                  Of course I have never been on to be married to my job. Yet I have always gotten great reviews so go figure.

Comment

I should also note that CA has very strict salary exempt rules
                    http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/faq_overtimeexemptions.htm

Comment

Originally posted by MrGalt View Post
                      Double shifts for months? No, that's not the norm outside of Google, and it definitely messes you up.
                      Working double shifts for years in the US is common for middle class folks. I know some nurses who worked 3-4 jobs at a time for years.

Nurses, firefighters, and cops do it all the time, and I'll bet plenty of coders outside Google work those hours too, they just don't get the nice perks at Google.

And you're right lots them become messed up from it.
                      Last edited by W. Rabbit; 7/13/2014 10:18pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
                        I'll bet plenty of coders outside Google work those hours too, they just don't get the nice perks at Google.

They do, but Google only hires the best and the best get perks. This is difference between the guy majoring in Comp Sci at the local College and the guy busting his ass in Stanford. When the Stanford graduate is working 16 hours to finish a project they get bonuses and perks.

Despite the garbage you are fed in school, all men are not created equal and highly skilled workers will always have it better.

Comment

Originally posted by Plasma View Post
                          Despite the garbage you are fed in school, all men are not created equal and highly skilled workers will always have it better.
                          Their are caveats that go with this. For one the highly skilled worker has to know their value and have the self confidence to demand it.

Comment

Originally posted by Plasma View Post
                            They do, but Google only hires the best and the best get perks.
                            I can't agree that Google is hiring the best. Maybe trying to. There are plenty of places better than Google to work, with better perks than a "nice campus" and good pay.

Google's applications with the exception of the search engine and possibly Android OS are not at the top of many lists in terms of innovation. That includes Apps and their cloud, which has a terrible history of security and availability issues so far.

Microsoft claimed they only hired "the best" for years, they didn't end up with all the best either, and a similar history of insecure code and other shenanigans. Microsoft is full of "bad" coders and I'll bet money Google is no different.

Google is on Fortune Magazine's list of best companies to work for...but there are other lists that they are absent from, or are ranked much lower (with Forbes for instance, Google is ranked next to Orbitz...Google is not even on Computerworld's Top 100 which is interesting).
                            Last edited by W. Rabbit; 7/16/2014 2:30pm, .

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                            X