Why all the Shou Shu hate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    What caused this? The puffed-up blather about how awesome they are, when compared to shit-tacular sparring like that below (supposedly two Shou Shu blackbelts) :

Too bad. That's a pretty cool training space.

Comment

From what I've seen from these Shou Shu videos, is that they love applauses and it sounds like an animals fight (grunts).

I've never seen something like this, I don't want to pick up on Shou Shu, but it looks ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by 35k1l0 View Post
        From what I've seen from these Shou Shu videos, is that they love applauses and it sounds like an animals fight (grunts).

I've never seen something like this, I don't want to pick up on Shou Shu, but it looks ridiculous.
        I am not a Shou Shu practitioner but kenpo shares a common background. I will base my critique on compliant drilling to develop fighting capability. (This is not a comment on the wisdom of using compliant training to learn how to fight.)

1) some of the demonstrations are lower belts. From very early on schools will put beginners out there to demonstrate. The applause often reflect respect based on expected level. White belts that work through things will get applause.

2) movement should be fast and crisp, and technically correct. There were some higher belts that were not throwing crisp techniques. Speed was not impressive.

3) intensity. Attacks should be fully committed and intense. If you know what's coming and your partner is sending a choreographed strike, it should be full power! If you don't get out of the way it's your own fault! These attacks were not intense. When you grab wrists, arms, etc. it should be done with power. The full power attacks did not look strong.

4) seriousness and larpiness. Putting on a show and throwing in humor is fine for a demonstration (but if you do your technique should be very good!) Over exaggerating a response to technique is not good for every day training. The idea in these drills is to train reactions to an attack. You want to follow up with additional attacks quickly to get a good training session in. Can't Judge videos wells without context. It would be interesting to see everyday class.

Just my two cents. Disclaimer, I never formally judged forms competition. Overall I was not very impressed by videos, even in the context of compliant training.

Comment

Originally posted by ghost55 View Post
          What the fuck did I just watch?
          Apparently they're building armies. At least the streets will be safer, fewer dangerous martial artists on the "street".

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
            Apparently they're building armies. At least the streets will be safer, fewer dangerous martial artists on the "street".

Usually the kids' class segues into a more impressive adult demo. I see this was not the case here.

These people would be clapping on the deck of the Titanic.

Comment

::remembers the last Shou Shu practitioner who started a thread and remembers how much of a train wreck that was::

Comment

Originally posted by Psycho Dad View Post
                ::remembers the last Shou Shu practitioner who started a thread and remembers how much of a train wreck that was::
                This one come to my mind
                http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=104701
                its quite long but its filled with comedy gold

Comment

I suppose we've scared away the OP. How sad - I was hoping to hear where his thoughts are now going.

Comment

Shou Shu is for pussies.

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
                      This one come to my mind
                      http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=104701
                      its quite long but its filled with comedy gold
                      Wow. Post #27 was like the Bohemian Rhapsody of stupid martial arts posts.

Comment

Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
                        Did you mean #28? That's the one with the video essay.

Comment

Originally posted by The Cap View Post
                          Yes, I realized later in the day I had grabbed the wrong number, thanks for the catch.

"Shoe show so does teach multiple opponents! Proof you say? Look, here's a skateboarder smacking around four kids, a couple of boxers beating up clowns, a drunken scuffle, some sort of 3 on 3 thing, and a couple of goofy, floppy shoe show demos. What more evidence could you ask for?"
                          Last edited by ermghoti; 7/13/2014 5:06am, .

Comment

Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
                            Originally posted by The Cap View Post
                            Post #27 was just as terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
                              Post #27 was just as terrible.
                              Well, yeah, but it was more "The Ballad of Jimi Hendrix" of stupid martial arts posts.

Comment

Shou Shu = Pussy shit

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X