X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NeilG
    replied
    Originally posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    That's a reference to how they can rip your heart out of your chest with their bare hands.
    Unimpressed unless they can show it to the enemy, still beating, as he dies.

Leave a comment:

• Chili Pepper
    replied
    Originally posted by nihao View Post
    Whats up with the name shou shu, it means surgery in chinese.
    That's a reference to how they can rip your heart out of your chest with their bare hands.

Leave a comment:

• plasma
    replied
    Originally posted by soft touch View Post
    but he beat up more street thugs than phoenix jones! with his extensive conditioning to real fighting conditions from his one in a hundred legit wing chun and tkd schools!

Well Phoenix Jones only 4-0 Professional MMA fighter. Only if he knew Shou Shu

Leave a comment:

• soft touch
    replied
    Originally posted by goodlun View Post
    Let me finish that sentence as....
    their is no way you can handle the real aggression you would experience in a fight.
    but he beat up more street thugs than phoenix jones! with his extensive conditioning to real fighting conditions from his one in a hundred legit wing chun and tkd schools!

Leave a comment:

• goodlun
    replied
    Originally posted by Plasma View Post
    If you can't handle that
    Let me finish that sentence as....
    their is no way you can handle the real aggression you would experience in a fight.

Leave a comment:

• plasma
    replied
    Originally posted by Machina View Post
    Really? The people at the school I go to seem real nice, and humble.

Really, I showed nothing but respect when I came on here but now I see that I'm automatically a 'villain' because I recently joined Shou shu. Quite unfortunate, I was hoping that I'd be able to come on this forum and actually learn something. not be villified for joining a Shou Shu studio. I didn't come on here to pick any fights.

If everyone on here is so damn bad? What's with the attitude? Personally, I like to help people whenever I'm sure of myself.

If Shou Shu is so bad, then why don't you recommend be a better martial art instead of picking fights?

Boxing, Muay Thai, Kyokushin Karate, MMA, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo, Sambo

If you going to stick around you need some thicker skin. "Fuck you, your style sucks" is Bullshido for "Hi, How are you?" If you can't handle that I would recommend http://martialartsplanet.com/forums/

Leave a comment:

• ghost55
    replied
    I made the mistake of reading the linked post. I now have cancer. Which one you might ask? All of them. That's the power of Shou Shu.

Leave a comment:

• lionknight
    replied
    Have we gotten the name of this "Golden Gloves Champion" who teaches SS?

Yeah I guess i'll keep waiting for that.

Sent from the twilight zone.

Leave a comment:

• W. Rabbit
    replied
    Shou Shu has all the trappings of a made up kung fu style based on several actual styles. As I understand it, Al Moore created the style himself, using Ed Parker kenpo+ some jujutsu+some sort of kung fu he learned as a kid in Emeryville, CA, and then possibly (or possibly not) traveled to China to expand on after WWII, later to claim it was all a secret art known only to a handful. But probably mostly kenpo+jits.

Shou Shu has the distinction of actually having its style page removed from Wikipedia for being a "club" and not a historical lineage. Thankfully, it was archived:

http://web.archive.org/web/201003020.../wiki/Shou_Shubut don't read it, especially the first post.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=119444
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 7/09/2014 10:33pm, .

Leave a comment:

• cualltaigh
    replied
    Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
    People get knocked out by moshing. It's still not an effective martial art.
    QFMFT.

+1

Leave a comment:

• mike321
    replied
    Op,
    It is the ART that matters! Not the artist! If I go to a school I want a training regimen and techniques that consistently improves a persons ability to fight. Of course if I was going to be in a fight, I would change the artist if possible. I would magically transform myself to someone stronger, larger, younger, and probably wealthier and better looking while I was at it. Guess what! That's not an option. So I look for quality instruction to improve me.

Leave a comment:

• Holy Moment
    replied
    Why all the Shou Shu hate?
    Because it's for pussies.

Wow I haven't seen one of these thread in a while.
    I was pleasantly surprised, too. Hope this drags out for a hundred pages.

Machina, did I mention that Shou Shu is for pussies, and that training it makes you a pussy as well?
    Last edited by Holy Moment; 7/09/2014 7:53pm, .

Leave a comment:

• ghost55
    replied
    From what I've seen thus far on youtube, Shou Shu looks like the worst of Krav and Silat got together and had a really ugly baby that only wears cheap kung fu pajamas.

Leave a comment:

• ghost55
    replied
    There is one really simple answer to this problem: bring us a video of your class.

Leave a comment:

• ermghoti
    replied
    Yeah, I guess I can see your points.
    One of the posters said "to the golden glove champion who teaches tkd"
    No,! golden gloves champion teaches Shou Shu and says its better than both boxing and jujitsu. who is the same bodyguard. Don't you see how I could be convinced after someone with a long history of kicking ass says that an art of kicking ass is effective and that this form of kicking ass is superior to old forms of kicking ass?
    Already mentioned: he has a financial interest in trumpeting this art. This motive doesn't have to be nefarious, it could be the same post-purchase rationalization that you exhibit. And as I mentioned: if he is a competent boxer, he could smash the average person before he ever heard of Shou shu.

Also, a little known fact: Golden Gloves boxers have names, those names are, in turn, attached to fight records.

No, dude, i've never used SS in a fight. I Just started, and the people there (who train with the right people there) are good. So i figured it would be good.
    It's a made up art, generally practiced feebly, and the techniques are poorly constructed compared to better arts. It doesn't matter if your club is full of badasses.

I've been able to use some of the forearm strikes, elbows and grabs in wing chun efficiently, I don't think that it's terrible like the claims being made of it.
    Against TKD? The fights that reasonable and sober people never get into? The Chun fails repeatedly and consistently when pressure tested. You may have great innate talent at fighting. You may have a colossal propensity for delusion. Either way, Wing Chun is an inherently inferior fighting art. That does not mean it does not have any useful elements, it means, as a system, in its entirety, it is poorly conceived, and fails against common striking arts.

Another dude in the class (who is also a bodyguard) Beat up five dudes without being touched! idk about you but wouldn't you be convinced as well? He wasn't the one telling me this either as he's not the bragging type. Someone who worked with him told me this (another security officer not previously mentioned)
    There was a kid in high school, about 6' 4" 300+, maybe close to 400. Never did a lick of exercise. He and his brother beat the crap out of each other recreationally. Another friend watched one club the other across the kidneys with a tree limb about the diameter of my lower leg, with an impact described as bone breaking. The hittee looked up from the engine he was rebuilding, said "cut the shit," and returned to his work. He is probably the most physically dangerous person I have ever known.

I recommend Louisiana Goon Fu to absolutely nobody.

Yes, I have read other threads. But it usually consists of someone making claims of beating up like 8 people and everyone arguing that on and on and on. I'm not doing this.
    No, you're arguing your clubmates beat up crowds of people.

No, I knocked him out. Not down.
    Again, never made those claims that shou shu outperforms bjj and mma.
    Then maybe you ought not bring it up, especially since you can't offer any assurance he had any training.

As any fighter with any amount of sense knows that it's the Martial ARTIST that makes the difference.
    The artist makes A difference. When the artists are similar, the better art is likely to prevail. You maximize your opportunity for success by training properly in an effective art.

I've been in this game for a while myself. I didn't just start yesterday. Been in this for years. I come on here because the freaking youtube videos look nothing like the stuff being taught in class. None of them are the schools I attend either.
    Perhaps you would be surprised at what your class looks like on video.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X