Why all the Shou Shu hate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Do you ever use swords made of actual metal?
    Do U even sord bro?

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post

edit: I should point out I was only talking shit about the shou shu sword vid. The way the Hung Ga guy starts and ends the form with the sword nestled in the left arm is pretty standard and not a bad way to carry a sword around when not combatting.
      I know you were, and I know NeilG was kidding, so I kid back.

Let's not forget once upon a time the Chinese chopped the Japanese to little bits with the Great Knife, which is why it's called the "General of Weapons".

It's hard not to love the Great Knife it's one of the biggest damn broadswords you can actually wield in one hand.

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 7/10/2014 5:41pm, .

Comment

What the hell is this? I have to say I'm floored at my first viewings of Shou Shu weapons. I expected something...Chinese. Clearly whatever Al Moore Sr. "brought back from China" didn't include real Chinese weapon techniques of the early-mid 20th century??? Or am I mistaken and these are similar to some other techniques/form/style I've never seen? They just seem made up.

When the demos are this nutty and wild, it's hard to believe the actual applications aren't just as nutty.

Like in the dai dao videos..the Shou Shu sword demo just seems crazy and uncoordinated and I have a hard time picking out a single effective technique, it just looks like a guy swinging around a blade he has no experience with.

The Hung ga form by comparison is tight and fluid and yeah the spins and "ground work" are I think embellishments, but at least you can see the parry/slash combinations and the slices at different levels, and evasive body movement. Hung ga dao formwork represents the basic dao techniques from Ming/Ching era.

The 29th Army Manual form just took away the Hung ga elements (bow, footwork patterns) leaving the basic blocks and strokes, so that soldiers could quickly learn and pick them up.

Comment

I hate to pick on Shou Shu but I've been watching videos all day (thanks for nothing Permalost) and I'm just trying to figure out what I'm watching. From the CMA POV this stuff seems almost foreign so I'd like someone to clue me in.

Is this San soo influence (which I believe may have influenced Shou Shu)? Or Kenpo? Where the hell does this theory come from? Is this why Shou Shu claims to be a "lost" art...its bits and pieces don't seem to come from any traditional Chinese style I've seen before. AT one point in the first video he starts talking about triangles and trapezoids...Bruce Downey? I'm totally lost now.

And what's up with the Holodeck greenscreen?

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 7/10/2014 6:20pm, .

Comment

Do you ever use swords made of actual metal?
            Me personally? Yeah, for demos - we do kata with mogito. Most of the time its shinai and bokken. I have a gunto I use occasionally for cutting.

Comment

Originally posted by NeilG View Post
              Me personally? Yeah, for demos - we do kata with mogito. Most of the time its shinai and bokken. I have a gunto I use occasionally for cutting.
              I love mogitos. My brother in law made a pitcher of them at our Father's Day BBQ....so smooth, had too much...put me out on the couch for hours.

Comment

Originally posted by doofaloofa
                I had my left testicle removed by shu shu

Tru tru story

Comment

My favourite part was the applause. One of the performers could've tripped and impaled himself, and they would've clapped like they were trying to revive Tinkerbell.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili Pepper View Post
                    My favourite part was the applause. One of the performers could've tripped and impaled himself, and they would've clapped like they were trying to revive Tinkerbell.
                    Yeah what's up with the "ooh" and "aaah" stuff. I think it screams hero worship, which would explain some things about Shou Shu.

I've never seen that sort of thing in any martial arts class I've ever taken. "OMG DID YOU SEE DA SHIFU'S KICK!?!". <applause>. Repeat.

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 7/10/2014 9:14pm, .

Comment

This video has so much [programmed] applause, it deserves its own post.

Comment

Oops, I meant to post this vid, which may be the worst martial arts vid ever made:
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF-d31ErdOI

Its like it was made by the Team Chip TKD video editor.
                        Worst MA vid? how about worst green screen effects vid.

Comment

Shou Shu is a gold mine. Unreal.

The title of this video sounds like an adult film.

Comment

I'll never sleep again, there are just too many videos.

Here's a gem, if you can make it through this whole video, you'll get the easter egg at the end..."Cardio Karaticise utilizes the secrets of an ancient soft style kung fu".

That "ancient" soft style kung fu? Shou Shu.

Comment

What the fuck did I just watch?

Comment

Shou Shu is a gold mine. Unreal.

The title of this video sounds like an adult film.

is that guy pretending to be dead?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X