• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Belt Magazine is Amazing

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 6.39.57 AM.png
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	4336320

If Royce Gracie is so tough, then why doesn't he enter K-1? Let's see how well he does when the Gracie Tackle is disallowed. A good striker like Todd Hays would probably just stop him with a front kick if he tried, anyway.

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 8.47.47 PM.png
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	4336321

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 8.50.42 PM.png
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	4336322

Jiu-Jitsu evidently isn't so tough. Just look at how Canadian jiu-jitsu champion Harold Howard got beat by an unknown striker in UFC III. Royce was too afraid to even fight Howard, so I'm 100% certain he'd get smashed by Steve Jennum.

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 9.00.39 PM.jpg
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	4336323

- Bill Wallace

I had somebody put me in a Gracie Choke during Aikido class. It was pretty obvious a Dillman pressure point would collapse him from that position.

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 9.04.47 PM.jpg
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	4336324

More to cum.

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 9.13.54 PM.png
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	4329225

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 9.16.42 PM.jpg
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	4329226

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 9.17.24 PM.jpg
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	4329227

Kimo had about 2-3 years of training when he made this. That's at least more BJJ experience than Dan Severn had when he tried to teach guardwork in Secrets of the Octagon.

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 9.25.36 PM.png
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	4329228

Comment

This thread made me feel young again.

If Canada is known for anything, it's brawlers with mullets.

Wolverine is Canadian too.

Here is Howard basically admitting that he ruined his jujutsu by adding the karate "back in".

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 7/07/2014 8:39pm, .

Comment

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 3.28.50 PM.png
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	4329229

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 3.31.59 PM.png
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	4329230

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 3.34.10 PM.jpg
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	4329231

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 3.35.40 PM.jpg
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	4329232

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 3.40.22 PM.png
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	4329233

Comment

I watched the original UFC back in the day. I had never heard of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu before that, so wondered what it was like.

I was impressed with Royces performance for sure, and wondered how long he had been doing Judo.

Comment

Haven't looked at a black belt magazine since I was a kid in the 80s and every other article was either about Bruce Lee or ninjas.

Is it still as silly as the stuff in this thread, or has reality finally set in?

Comment

Originally posted by BJMills View Post
              Haven't looked at a black belt magazine since I was a kid in the 80s and every other article was either about Bruce Lee or ninjas.

Is it still as silly as the stuff in this thread, or has reality finally set in?

Comment

Originally posted by BJMills View Post

Pfft...if you want reality stay the hell away from the magazine rack. That thing is designed to take your money and showcase whatever your pleasure is, whether it's MA, girls, motorcycles, or Martha Fucking Stewart.

The MA I know have a love/hate relationship with BBM: they love it and they hate it at the same time. Where else can you read a great article that makes sense and might actually be practical advice, followed by a total-BS article you can tell was researched half assed. BBM represents the Good, Bad, and Ugly of MA.

For instance I'd never have known Michael Jai White was a KK BB and BBM lover until just now.

And how did I miss Fight Girls???? OH right...I rarely watch TV.

Comment

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 6.46.46 PM.png
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	4329234

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 6.47.43 PM.jpg
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	4329235

^ 1970's BB didn't seem to suck.

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 6.56.41 PM.png
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	4329236

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 7.01.16 PM.jpg
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	4329237

Comment

Originally posted by Holy Moment View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]16115[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16116[/ATTACH]

^ 1970's BB didn't seem to suck.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16117[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16118[/ATTACH]
                    Judo used to occupy a large part of BBM. Then along came Kung Fu, Bruce Lee (who liked Judo, ironically), ninjutsu, and nasty judo politics (in the USA at least),et al.

They reported on major and not so major judo shiai results as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Holy Moment View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]16117[/ATTACH]
                      Of those listed Chuck Norris would have at least had a halfway decent chance, since he was already a Judo black belt and had been training with the Gracies followed by the Machados for over a decade prior to UFC 1.

Comment

Originally posted by wetware View Post
                        Of those listed Chuck Norris would have at least had a halfway decent chance, since he was already a Judo black belt and had been training with the Gracies followed by the Machados for over a decade prior to UFC 1.
                        Fuck Chuck Norris.

Ed O'Neil would kick Chuck Norris' ass.

Comment

I think the UFC just highlighted what had been lost from many martial arts. There are many styles out there who do not do pressure testing of there techniques and then when the fight is on and the stress levels rise there natural instincts take over and technique goes out the window. I think this is wear the main lessons from Judo and BJJ can be learnt as sparring is conducted almost every lesson. Familiarity reduces stress levels and therefore allows you to stay relaxed. I believe this is the main success achieved by BJJ.

Comment

Originally posted by wetware View Post
                            Not sure he was a black belt in Judo, though. Got a source for that?

In any case, he I seriously doubt he would have done much good against Royce on the ground.

Comment

Sure. I've seen other references, but I'm out and about at the moment and can find others when I get home. http://www.graciemag.com/2012/12/chu...gracie-family/

You're correct, though. He still likely would have gotten eaten.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X