X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MrGalt
    replied
    Originally posted by ghost55 View Post
    Oh, I missed the second part. I would wait until at least 15 or so for striking, just so you could make sure that they have the self control to not hit people. Maybe you could start them a bit earlier if they seem to be a bit more mature than average.
    I wouldn't wait that long. I've seen a lot of kids who were capable of learning striking by 12 or so. I was 13 when I started and turned out okay.

I have family asking me to teach my 9 year old niece stuff and I have categorically refused. It mostly has to do with the child in question's inability to listen to people than her age necessarily. I've met 9 year olds I'd teach some things, but they're few and far between.

(I'm pretty much a pure striker though. I have a bit of grappling experience but I don't understand anything well enough to pretend to teach it.)

Leave a comment:

• Sri Hanuman
    replied
    Now that this thread has somehow become about PUAs and lesbian wife orgies, I think I'm going to sneak out here before anyone starts throwing weasel phrases around.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    You know who always says that?

Betas and gammas pretending to be alphas.
    Ah, a fellow master of the obvious!

Leave a comment:

• Ming Loyalist
    replied
    Originally posted by BKR View Post
    6 or 7 is youngest, depending on maturity, and availability of a competent instructor/school.
    we take some 5 year olds but not most, and with kids that young we are super careful with what they are allowed to do (they're usually a younger sibling of another student, also.)

Leave a comment:

• W. Rabbit
    replied
    Speaking of kids and daoyin.... hey Sri

you might find it funny to know that there is a HUGE amount of anti-China propaganda video online (complete with artificial voiceovers like in all the anti-MA videos we've discovered) equating Chinese childhood gymnastics programs with torture. These I think come from the same shady groups that equate "Shaolin" training with torture, and even American MA schools with torture.

Now, knowing that a million little American boys and girls all basically do the same shit as Chinese kids because their parents push them...whether it be MA gymnastics or peewee football or those creepy kiddie "beauty" pageants....thoughts?

You have to love the stills of kids looking REALLY REALLY SAD. I imagine this is exactly what my face looks like when someone has my head in a vice.

"most.....will never make it", as if they're gazelles on the Serengeti or something.

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 7/07/2014 8:03pm, .

Leave a comment:

• W. Rabbit
    replied
    Real "alphas" don't give a shit.
    You know who always says that?

Betas and gammas pretending to be alphas.

Leave a comment:

• soft touch
    replied
    My BJJ school has a 4-6 program, 7-12, and adult.

I've only watched the 7-12 which is fairly rigorous. If anyone is interested, I'll stop by a little early one day and see how they do it with the littlest group, chances are it's a very cautious metered approach limited to fundamentals like ukemi and rolling...

"tumbling" is I believe the non-MA word for that sort of thing and it's pretty common esp in gymnastics. Little girls (especially in places like China) learn this as young as 3.

the use of the word tumbling for that has always bothered me. it's like taking two little kids in gis pushing each other around rolling

tumbling is the word they use because in gymnastics the lines they do across the floor of techniques are called tumbling lines, because flipping and saulting makes you 'tumble'

anyway gymnastics rant over, yeah that video is exactly the type of stuff I'd expect from a class for kids the age you describe

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied

I've only watched the 7-12 which is fairly rigorous. If anyone is interested, I'll stop by a little early one day and see how they do it with the littlest group, chances are it's a very cautious metered approach limited to fundamentals like ukemi and rolling...

"tumbling" is I believe the non-MA word for that sort of thing and it's pretty common esp in gymnastics. Little girls (especially in places like China) learn this as young as 3.

in "MA" programs for really young kids, you enter the realm of things that are not really MA(s), including tumbling. If your BJJ school has programs specifically for each age group, that is a good thing.

Even judo stuff for young kids is geared towards general coordination and physical literacy, not really learning Judo per se.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    The top alphas have convinced everyone else they are a beta.

Also known as "Verbal's Theorem".

Real "alphas" don't give a shit.

Leave a comment:

• Devil
    replied
    Originally posted by doofaloofa
    oh yes

the old 'u carnt spellz' gambit

way to go man of the house

that showed me

I don't think you understand. I've been letting your shitty spelling slide since you joined, because I'm a nice guy. Now I'm trying to help you because retards are my passion.

Leave a comment:

• W. Rabbit
    replied
    the old 'u carnt spellz' gambit
    Be careful, don't use that newfangled "text speak" on MAP.

Much like using two-letter initialisms for "cow poop", it's a bannable offense. MAP is a "family friendly" site after all.

However my research has discovered that references to coitus, masturbation, bestiality, scatology, and murder (ninjutsu) are all perfectly OK there.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 7/07/2014 2:45pm, .

Leave a comment:

• Permalost
    replied
    I'd say 6 or 7 is the earliest to get your kids into MA. Sure, you can find studios who will babysit them 4 years earlier but before about 5, coordination is really challenging to the point of frustration (unless the teacher is making things so easy as to be pointless).

Leave a comment:

• Devil
    replied
    T-it is definately a bitch
    Motherfucker, you can't even spell definitely. Spellcheck would make you look like less of a dumbass. For real.

Leave a comment:

• Sri Hanuman
    replied
    Be strong, Wimp-Lo.

Leave a comment:

• W. Rabbit
    replied
    3 is wayyyy to fucking young, unless you are talking about playing with your own child as in "wrestling with mommy or daddy".

6 or 7 is youngest, depending on maturity, and availability of a competent instructor/school.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X