Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introducing a Child to the Magical World of MA

Greetings comrades and comradettes.

I am looking to solicit some life experience and general all around quality advice from people who know how the hell this life thing works.

What is a good age to introduce a child to arts like grappling arts like Judo and BJJ?

Also, what would be a good age for striking arts like Muay Thai and possibly boxing?

Any and all thoughts welcome. Thank you kindly in advance.

Judo is good for all ages (above three or so).

Comment

Oh, I missed the second part. I would wait until at least 15 or so for striking, just so you could make sure that they have the self control to not hit people. Maybe you could start them a bit earlier if they seem to be a bit more mature than average.

Comment

Obviously each child is different but generally

As for grappling I would say as young as a place has classes for them. Some places around here go as young as 3.

So if they actually have toddler classes and know what they are doing with them great.

Mostly just to get that rough housing in that most kids simply do not get these days and all the good that does for them. Not so much for developing any sort of technical skills. However they will be supplementing the physical skills that we all use to learn as children.

I would say in general from what I have seen between 6-8 is when they start being able to get methodical about it.

Although in the grand scheme of things there is no "must start by" point so when ever they are interested and want to go do it is the probably ideal.

As for striking? I don't really know but I pulling something out of my ass I would say at least 12 most likely older.

Comment

Originally posted by Sri Hanuman View Post
          Greetings comrades and comradettes.

I am looking to solicit some life experience and general all around quality advice from people who know how the hell this life thing works.

What is a good age to introduce a child to arts like grappling arts like Judo and BJJ?
          After your wife watches a class and gives you the green light. My kid starts BJJ tomorrow.

Also, what would be a good age for striking arts like Muay Thai and possibly boxing?
          Once you're fairly certain your kids don't have antisocial tendencies and won't completely fuck up their classmates with their hands when they lose their temper.

The LAST thing you need is a call from the principal that your kid is throwing ti sok in gym class and split some poor kid's face open.

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
            After your wife watches a class and gives you the green light. My kid starts BJJ tomorrow.
            Unfortunately, the Mrs. does not approve of anything I train. Not even man-hug-kwan-do. That one's going to be a bit of an uphill battle, but Judo sounds like an awesome energy outlet.

Once you're fairly certain your kids don't have antisocial tendencies and won't completely fuck up their classmates with their hands when they lose their temper.

The LAST thing you need is a call from the principal that your kid is throwing ti sok in gym class and split some poor kid's face open.
            We're making trips to Thailand on an almost annual basis. Once he gets older, if it catches his eye, (plus the no antisocial thing,) sounds like by 10 he should be ready...
            hoping to catch some classes along with mini monkey.

Comment

Judo sounds like an awesome energy outlet.
              Judo is usally a pretty easy sell to the wife, if need be you can always play up the olmypic sport angle.

Comment

no first hand experience, as I'm not old enough to have kids of my own yet, so if you like ignore this response

but from what I see of others involving their children in MA, it depends a great deal on both the child, and the instructor
                some instructors who are fantastic for adults don't teach in a way that (most) kids enjoy, and if you enrol your kid too young with one of these, they might drop MA and never go back, which is in my opinion a sad thing

however, I agree with the above responses especially the reference to toddler classes, just because the physical stimulus feels like a really good thing to involve your child with, as well as letting them have a natural transition into more technical MA training

as to the age for striking I'd definitely agree it depends again on the instructors available, and on the kid's maturity but if I had to bullshit an average age for real contact striking, it'd be around 10 or 11

good luck, and I might be full of shit due to no personal experience, so take this post with a grain of salt

Comment

Finally he will have his purple belt.

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
                    Judo is usally a pretty easy sell to the wife, if need be you can always play up the olmypic sport angle.
                    use the ukemi angle. learning to fall properly is the most useful skill any of us learn in MA training by far.

Comment

Jesus Christ. What the fuck is with all the hand wringing about convincing your wives? I convinced my wife to let my kids train by not fucking asking her. The discussion was between my kids and I and my wife was informed of our decision once we made it. And she was totally cool with it, which is a good thing since she had no fucking choice anyway. My advice would be 1. Marry women who aren't pains in the asses and 2. Put on your big boy pants and make some decisions for yourself and your kids.

Anyway, to answer the question about ages. I see kids enjoying grappling as young as 4 or 5, although it is rare for them to understand what's going on at that age. Most of the time, they're just going through the motions but I guess they get something out of it. I've seen a few rare cases where kids start developing real skill while they're young like that with the help of parents who understand the sport. It's more common to see kids around 8-9 years old to start developing some actual skill.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
                        use the ukemi angle. learning to fall properly is the most useful skill any of us learn in MA training by far.
                        Holy crap, that's brilliant!!! I think I may have found the selling point that no one can dismiss :)

Thank you comrade!

Comment

Not hand wringing devil...more like carefully plotting a course through a hurricane, staying carefully within the eye.

Because whether or not you agree, the fastest way to get your kid pulled out of a good MA program (or yourself sleeping on the couch etc) is pissing off your wife in the process.

If your kid ever gets hurt in an MA class your spouse disapproved of, it'll be all your fault. Co-approval is the smart way. The CYA way.

Comment

Originally posted by XXIV View Post
                            Finally he will have his purple belt.
                            I've already told him not to ask about belts and ranks and to focus on listening, and that being a white belt is a great thing because it means you get to have the most fun while learning.

I've equated higher ranks with harder work, and that's all it took to take his interest off of belt progression.

Comment

Not hand wringing devil...more like carefully plotting a course through a hurricane, staying carefully within the eye.

Because whether or not you agree, the fastest way to get your kid pulled out of a good MA program (or yourself sleeping on the couch etc) is pissing off your wife in the process.

If your kid ever gets hurt in an MA class your spouse disapproved of, it'll be all your fault. Co-approval is the smart way. The CYA way.
                              That's the most beta thing I've ever read.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X