So...Judo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So...Judo

Took up Judo for my 40th birthday, mostly because of its consistently excellent reputation on this site.

So if I end up breaking anything, it's all your fault.

But anyway...Judo.

Great choice!

Welcome!

Comment

Judo as a martial art would be great enough, but behind the art is the wisdom of one of the 19th/20th century's greatest minds.

I've been reading a lot of Jigoro Kano's works lately on a quest to deepen my understanding of his jujutsu, particularly his lectures.

Kano's contribution of Judo is dwarfed by his overall social philosophy and contributions to education. Here is a man who basically upheld the belief that the best way to protect and encourage the growth of mankind was to just keep tossing each other around.

Friends who play together, stay together.

http://ejmas.com/jcs/jcsart_kano_0201.htm
      (Lecture to Parnassus Society, Athens, Greece, on June 5, 1934)
      Last edited by W. Rabbit; 6/27/2014 11:23am, .

Comment

Judo is awesome. You have chosen... Wisely.

Comment

Oh and since you're new to Bullshido, it's important to learn quickly that objective audiovisual evidence is cherished here over talk and theorycrafting, (something the ancient masters of martial arts often lamented).

So if anyone asks you to PROVE to them Judo is awesome, no need to quote Kano or get into the tired sport vs street debate.

Just show them kids doing judo. The future of the human race is right here on display.

Comment

Well I will tell you what,
            I got my ass completely kicked by a man in his 70s who didn't Start Judo till his mid 40s.
            So I always say its never too late to start Judo.

Comment

Originally posted by Oodle View Post
              Took up Judo for my 40th birthday, mostly because of its consistently excellent reputation on this site.

So if I end up breaking anything, it's all your fault.

But anyway...Judo.
              Be sure to not push yourself too hard at first.

Keep us posted !

Comment

I started Judo at 37. Yes it gets harder as you get older but ibuprofen is your friend.

Comment

I re-upped at 42 after 25 years off & still going 10 years later. You're not as dumb as you once were, listen to your body and enjoy the ride, you'll be fine.

Comment

Welcome to Bullshido. If I'd known then, the things I know now, I would have stuck with Judo.

Comment

Originally posted by bigstu31s View Post
                      I started Judo at 37. Yes it gets harder as you get older but ibuprofen is your friend.
                      Good to know. I am about to do exactly that.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X